Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 03:57 PM)
If you want nonsensical, read any of your hockey posts. You have brought that quote up many times, at which point I said he would be better than Jason Williams on the PP (fact), that his play in the defensive zone leaves something to be desired (fact) and that he is not physical pretty much at all (fact).

This year, his defense have been even worse than anyone thought it would be!

Thanks for playing.

LOL. I am glad I "played" the game with you of pointing out your ridiculous statements. Although I will give you the fact its pretty ballsy you continue to hammer the point even though you were pwned a few pages back.

And with a player like Campbell, if his +/- stays positive, I consider that a pretty good season since offensively he was more effective than his putrid defensive skills. And without Campbell on this team, there is no way the Hawks are playing the Flames in the first round, they definately fall a few seeds.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 04:41 PM)
Rock, thats a rather short-sighted way to look at things, and you know it.

Campbell is taking up over seven million dollars on the cap. If the Hawks spent 3 million less and signed someone like Streit(a guy some of us talked about in the off-season) you still have a nice piece of change to play with for another need. On top of it, a contract like Streit is a lot easier to take on instead of the albatross Campbell's deal has already become.

I don't think anyone, myself included thinks BC hasn't made an impact on this team. He has. However, he is the highest paid Hawk, and probably will be for quite some time. Over the last 2-4 months, he probably doesn't make the top 10 list for most productive Hawks. Thats unacceptable.

Of course his cost is prohibitive, but his play has been as expected pretty much. He's a defensive liability, but will score 50+ points. His contract is what it costs to bring in that type of player on the market, and I'm not sure there was a person on here who was really against that signing. We are stuck with him most likely, but at the time, it was a move that had to be made. Alot of things have changed since then, not everyone wanted Havlat back, which now looks like a must-make move, and will cost us a pretty penny.

And of course all of that is unrelated to the blame of every loss falling on his shoulders, which is just biased.

I had to edit to add this: If his contract makes us lose Duncan Keith, I may just lose my f***ing mind.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
LOL. I am glad I "played" the game with you of pointing out your ridiculous statements. Although I will give you the fact its pretty ballsy you continue to hammer the point even though you were pwned a few pages back.

And with a player like Campbell, if his +/- stays positive, I consider that a pretty good season since offensively he was more effective than his putrid defensive skills. And without Campbell on this team, there is no way the Hawks are playing the Flames in the first round, they definately fall a few seeds.

I'm glad I can play the game with you pointing out a quote of mine which means absolutely nothing to whatever argument you are trying to make. Apparently since I didn't say exactly "this is the worst signing in the history of the world," I cannot be critical of one Brian Campbell. That is your point.

I was excited Chicago was a target city for once, however the money made me really stop and think about the cap as we went on, also with Huet on board, hoping it wouldn't hurt us.

Now his play in the defensive zone is WORSE than I ever expected, and he's been brutal in the playoffs, as he was for SJ. I'll b**** about it all I want.

You don't pay a guy that much money to be something like a +1 player. He is expected to do a lot more and he should be doing a lot more. Some of the s*** he's done this year, he hadn't done in the past to this degree. That's why this contract is not justified right now. It's become more clear as the year has gone on how bad he is for this money. It's been his play this season, not the decision on July 1.

BTW, sweet logic on Campbell in regards to our seeding. I won't even touch it since Tony already did.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 07:25 PM)
Something is going to have to give. I think I am being fairly optimistic to think when its time to re-up with Keith-Toews-Kane, the salary cap will be the same. Supposedly the cap is coming down this off-season, so lets say it rebounds and comes back to where it is now.

After the 09/10 season, here is what is on the books RIGHT NOW

Campbell-7.1

Byfuglien-3

Huet-5.675

Sharp-4.1

Seabrook-3.5

Sopel-2

Hawks sit at 25.5 right now for the 2010-2011 season.

Right now, without knowing what is in store for the big 3 in 2009-2010, its probably safe to assume that the 3 together would command 18-20 million annually Lets say 18 to be nice to Tallon. Thats 43.5 for nine players. As we know, the cap sits at 56.7 right now, and I'm being optimistic thinking it will be that amount when this time comes.

So with that, the Hawks will have just over 13 million dollars for 14 players. Thats not going to work.

I know this post was all over the place, but I don't think any of it is very fair fetched. Tallon may have closed this teams window before it even opened.

Gross. You have to think they are going to move at least 2 of those guys listed above not including Sopel. If I had to choose I would say Huet and Campbell would be my choices, but they may also be the hardest to move.

Obviously the Hawks have to win 2 of the next 3 or this will be a moot point, but doesn't the NHL reseed in the 2nd round? If the Ducks beat the Sharks, and the Hawks end up playing the Canucks, who has home-ice advantage? They are the 3 seed cause they won the division, but the Hawks had a better record?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 11:38 AM)
Obviously the Hawks have to win 2 of the next 3 or this will be a moot point, but doesn't the NHL reseed in the 2nd round? If the Ducks beat the Sharks, and the Hawks end up playing the Canucks, who has home-ice advantage? They are the 3 seed cause they won the division, but the Hawks had a better record?

The Canucks would have home-ice. The re-seeding is based on original playoff seed. HOPEFULLY we win, and then it will be.

2. Wings

8. Ducks

3. Canucks

4. Hawks

The Canucks seem to be in charge of their series, the Wings are in for sure. IF the Sharks come back, and the Hawks win, it'd be.

1. Sharks

4. Hawks

2. Wings

3. Canucks

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)
The Canucks would have home-ice. The re-seeding is based on original playoff seed. HOPEFULLY we win, and then it will be.

2. Wings

8. Ducks

3. Canucks

4. Hawks

The Canucks seem to be in charge of their series, the Wings are in for sure. IF the Sharks come back, and the Hawks win, it'd be.

1. Sharks

4. Hawks

2. Wings

3. Canucks

Yeah, I would definitely say they are 'in charge' of their series. It's pretty difficult to come back from a 4-0 deficit in a 7 game series. History is definitely not on their side :lolhitting

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)

2. Wings

8. Ducks

3. Canucks

4. Hawks

1. Sharks

4. Hawks

2. Wings

3. Canucks

Thanks. Its hard to be confident from the last two games, but having two of the last three on the West Side makes me think its still in the Hawks favor.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 01:02 PM)
Yeah, I would definitely say they are 'in charge' of their series. It's pretty difficult to come back from a 4-0 deficit in a 7 game series. History is definitely not on their side :lolhitting

Yeah, don't know what I was thinking when typing that. The info, in large, was good info though.

Seabrook really made up for his horrid game 4. He was easily the best player on the ice tonight IMO. His 2 points were a bonus considering he was hitting and poke checking like it was going out of style.

Big ups to the Hawks for an awesome game tonight.

End these f***ers up in Canada. :headbang

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Apr 25, 2009 -> 10:37 PM)
Seabrook really made up for his horrid game 4. He was easily the best player on the ice tonight IMO. His 2 points were a bonus considering he was hitting and poke checking like it was going out of style.

Big ups to the Hawks for an awesome game tonight.

End these f***ers up in Canada. :headbang

He sure did. IN fact most of the D were outstanding last night. Buff continues to be a beast.