WHITESOX ALL-STARS!!!

rokimar

What do you know? No A's pitcher or White Sox pitcher are in the game, those are the two teams who have the best team ERA. Somebody needs to explain themselves here. At least Duchscherer or Floyd should go. You don't lead your league in ERA for nothing.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 02:24 PM)
Terry Francona is a joke. I think he has a lot to do with Varitek going.

Jason Varitek: .219 7 HR 27 RBI .301 OBP .661 OPS

A.J. Pierzynski: .299 7 HR 32 RBI .338 OBP .784 OPS

Dioner Navarro: .318 4 HR 33 RBI .370 OBP .805 OPS

You tell me who really deserves to go...

the only argument that can be made is that Francona knows he'll want Varitek catching Papelbon to end the game in a win.

even though i dont know if i agree with that logic, i will say that winning the All-Star game has more real importance to me than AJ making it.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 01:26 PM)
the only argument that can be made is that Francona knows he'll want Varitek catching Papelbon to end the game in a win.

even though i dont know if i agree with that logic, i will say that winning the All-Star game has more real importance to me than AJ making it.

I care about A.J. making it, yes. But, the fact that a .220 hitter going to an ASG is inexcusable. At least take Dioner Navarro. TBH, I think Navarro's been a better player than A.J. But Varitek is absolutely ridiculous.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 08:28 PM)
I care about A.J. making it, yes. But, the fact that a .220 hitter going to an ASG is inexcusable. At least take Dioner Navarro. TBH, I think Navarro's been a better player than A.J. But Varitek is absolutely ridiculous.

well, navarro is going too.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 02:28 PM)

yea Navarro's on the team, and that's the thing.

AJ's probably not going to get an at-bat if he's on the team.

So, if there's some Papelbon pitch that is routinely in the dirt in a certain situation, maybe Varitek knows that, can block it, and contribute to a save.

It's a little thing, but it's probably bigger for our wants and needs regarding the World Series home field.

The thing is, the All-Star game isnt all about who's deserving or not. Like it or not, it's now about getting a best fit for winning the game. If AJ isnt going to bat, get someone in there who will contribute.

Devil's advocacy sure is fun!

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 08:32 PM)

So, if there's some Papelbon pitch that is routinely in the dirt in a certain situation, maybe Varitek knows that, can block it, and contribute to a save.

It's a little thing, but it's probably bigger for our wants and needs regarding the World Series home field.

The thing is, the All-Star game isnt all about who's deserving or not. Like it or not, it's now about getting a best fit for winning the game. If AJ isnt going to bat, get someone in there who will contribute.

you aren't convincing me. AJ's handled some pretty sick pitchers in his career, I think he can handle Jonathen the AMAZING

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 02:32 PM)

I remembered that back in 06, when Ozzie took Buehrle, people who weren't Sox fans were complaining like crazy because Mark was struggling towards the end of the first half and didn't "deserve" it.

I think this is similar, more of a manager's favor kind of thing.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 02:41 PM)
you aren't convincing me. AJ's handled some pretty sick pitchers in his career, I think he can handle Jonathen the AMAZING

another thing to think about.... if AJ was in there catching, i sure wouldnt want to see him with a lower velocity guy pitching. especially when you have some of the best baserunners around out there.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 08:44 PM)
another thing to think about.... if AJ was in there catching, i sure wouldnt want to see him with a lower velocity guy pitching. especially when you have some of the best baserunners around out there.

AJ would just s***-talk them until their self-esteem is so low they can barely walk.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 01:11 PM)
Yup, and he is still near the top of my list of baseball players I wanna punch for no reason.

anyone in anyway associated with the Red Sox or Cubs is on my list of people I want to punch for no reason. This includes all their fans as well.

Here's my vent:

How does AJ not get in, yet a scum bag like Jason Varitek does? He's hitting, what, .220? I know Francona is the manager, but you'd think the Red Sox would be concerned with winning due to the fact that they're a good team that has a chance at making the Series and would pick the best team.

Also, how does Linebrink, Logan, or Thornton not get in? I'm not sure I'd feel more comfortable with another LHP in the league facing a lefty hitter then I do when they bring in Booner or Thornton. BTW- Linebrink's ERA is what, 1.3, and he's not in? What a crock.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 03:27 PM)
He didn't?

No.

Over in the American League, the players selected these reserves: designated hitter Milton Bradley of the Rangers, who undoubtedly will start in lieu of the fan pick -- Boston's injured David Ortiz; catcher Jason Varitek and outfielder J.D. Drew of the Red Sox; first baseman Justin Morneau of the Twins; second baseman Ian Kinsler and shortstop Michael Young of the Rangers; third baseman Joe Crede and outfielder Carlos Quentin of the White Sox and outfielder Grady Sizemore of the Indians.

AL manager Terry Francona of the Red Sox added infielder Carlos Guillen of the Tigers, catcher Dioner Navarro of the Rays, and pitchers George Sherrill of the Orioles, Justin Duchscherer of the A's, Joe Nathan of the Twins and Joakim Soria of the Royals.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...8&fext=.jsp

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 11:24 AM)
Terry Francona is a joke. I think he has a lot to do with Varitek going.

Jason Varitek: .219 7 HR 27 RBI .301 OBP .661 OPS

A.J. Pierzynski: .299 7 HR 32 RBI .338 OBP .784 OPS

Dioner Navarro: .318 4 HR 33 RBI .370 OBP .805 OPS

You tell me who really deserves to go...

Navarro and AJ are both head and shoulders above of Varitek. Unless Varitek was Pudge Rodriguez in his prime defensively (which he isn't) there is no reason anyone with those stats should ever be in the game. However, blame the players (aren't they the ones who voted in Varitek) and not Francona because thats the reason Varitek is in.

However, you look at the pen and rotation and I can't hands down point at a player who clearly wasn't as good as Danks/Floyd/Linebrink therefor while I'd love any of those guys in (and would have no problem with them in) I can't gripe about Santana/Saunders/Durscherer/Lee/etc getting in (plus some of the relievers that got in are the lone rep's for there teams).