The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 12:40 AM)
As someone who also graduated from New Trier, I've found myself realizing this a lot lately. I knew as I was going through NT that I was receiving a much, much better education than the vast majority of the population (I also had a little different perspective, because I was much less well off than many of my classmates). However, I didn't realize how much better that education was until I got to college (and I go to Indiana, so not necessarily a good nor bad school) and saw how ridiculously unprepared many students were. When I'm in groups and whatnot and see the stuff some group members have written, I wonder how they ever finished high school, let alone got accepted into a decent college.

It's very sobering. And very difficult for students and teachers. How do I make sure all of my students get the most out of their education when some are so unprepared and some are so far ahead. Frankly, I don't see this divide getting any smaller in the near future either.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Soxy @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 06:21 PM)
It's very sobering. And very difficult for students and teachers. How do I make sure all of my students get the most out of their education when some are so unprepared and some are so far ahead. Frankly, I don't see this divide getting any smaller in the near future either.

well, we could make school longer.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 12:52 PM)
Can you offer a citation on this?

No, but I've been doing some Scholarship of Teaching and Learning work recently and one thing you find is that interventions don't work if the instruction is of poor quality. Take, for example, Service Learning where students go into the community and apply what they've learned. Only works if the teaching is high rated and the instructor seems to know what's going on. So, a poor teacher and poor learning outcomes do not magically become mitigated by some intervention. Without quality instruction as a backbone, there's poor student outcomes associated. Perhaps it is an unfounded generalization.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 05:01 PM)
No, but I've been doing some Scholarship of Teaching and Learning work recently and one thing you find is that interventions don't work if the instruction is of poor quality. Take, for example, Service Learning where students go into the community and apply what they've learned. Only works if the teaching is high rated and the instructor seems to know what's going on. So, a poor teacher and poor learning outcomes do not magically become mitigated by some intervention. Without quality instruction as a backbone, there's poor student outcomes associated. Perhaps it is an unfounded generalization.

but what about longer school days and shorter summer vacation

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 11:54 AM)
My dad was that way too...until the doctor said the "m" word.

I actually don't get a lot of sun, and I wear sunscreen when I do. I'm just naturally pretty dark.

Btw, I agreed with mr. genius that socioeconomic status is more relevant than race nowadays. I think we have at least come that far (although race is still relevant, obviously).

Edited by whitesoxfan101