• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 08:45 AM)
Cheney doesn't have anything constructive or relevant to say, so he should seriously take a cue from his former boss and sit down and be quiet somewhere.

He's a respected voice on national security issues, privacy rights, and the treatment of detainees.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=2032595:date=Oct 23, 2009 -> 11:12 AM:name=StrangeSox)-->
QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)
<!--quotec-->Republicans are eating up whatever he says and bragging about how amazingly smart the guy is.

He was smart... when he said invading Iraq was not a smart idea:

That was before he snapped on 9/11.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 12:10 PM)
He's a respected voice on national security issues, privacy rights, and the treatment of detainees.

Hilariously, these are all the reasons why he's had zero credibility. Even the one thing he could reasonably make a claim for (national security) comes with major consequences as the United States is starting to feel the strain of imperial overreach and the Bush Doctrine/neocon worldview collapses under its own weight.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
I really don't get Republicans trying to use Cheney to beat up Obama over Afghanistan policy. Cheney had his chance to set policy there and f***ed it up/ ignored it for 7 years.

I don't get the impression that the Republicans, institutionally, are using him as a mouthpiece. I think Cheney is just still so full of anger and bitterness, that he takes every speaking gig he's offered, where he can spew his B.S. Some Republicans probably still like the guy, but I don't think the party as a whole sees him as a major piece of their strategy.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 09:47 AM)
Hilariously, these are all the reasons why he's had zero credibility. Even the one thing he could reasonably make a claim for (national security) comes with major consequences as the United States is starting to feel the strain of imperial overreach and the Bush Doctrine/neocon worldview collapses under its own weight.

My point exactly. But here's the thing to really consider. Who exactly is it who considers him a respected voice on those issues?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 11:51 AM)
I don't get the impression that the Republicans, institutionally, are using him as a mouthpiece. I think Cheney is just still so full of anger and bitterness, that he takes every speaking gig he's offered, where he can spew his B.S. Some Republicans probably still like the guy, but I don't think the party as a whole sees him as a major piece of their strategy.

Republican/ conservative voters, not politicians. Sorry 'bout the lack of clarity.

edit: just based on my anecdotal perusing of blogs/ forums that are conservative-dominant. Stuff like "Cheney could forget more in an afternoon about Afghanistan than Obama or any dumb lib will ever know!"

Edited by StrangeSox

The unnamed sources being PUBLISHED with complete bunk claims about speculation during this health care debate is deeply disheartening. I bet these idiots are just getting excited now "okay, so I need to keep my name off this" OOO IT MUST BE GOOD "I'm going to completely lie to you in hopes that you will publish it, and the lie will be extraordinary and contradictory so you will get a lot of views and unique hits. " Shoot away!

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 06:54 AM)
The unnamed sources being PUBLISHED with complete bunk claims about speculation during this health care debate is deeply disheartening. I bet these idiots are just getting excited now "okay, so I need to keep my name off this" OOO IT MUST BE GOOD "I'm going to completely lie to you in hopes that you will publish it, and the lie will be extraordinary and contradictory so you will get a lot of views and unique hits. " Shoot away!

Thankfully the media learned its lesson from how the Iraq debacle was sold, so I'm sure this time the anonymous sources actually have really good reasons for staying anonymous.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 03:53 PM)
Thankfully the media learned its lesson from how the Iraq debacle was sold, so I'm sure this time the anonymous sources actually have really good reasons for staying anonymous.

Yea, they want to keep their job.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 02:13 AM)
Yea, they want to keep their job.

lol, from someone who routinely goes after the irresponsibility of media, I wouldn't think you'd get behind one of it's laziest practices.

I've been having a back and forth with Josh Marshall, and, I think what it's coming down to is sources will only speak under anonymity now because it's so clear that anonymity will be granted without much fight.

I highly doubt congress aides and bureau workers are speaking to the media less than they were 30 years ago, they are probably just able to do so secretively.

edit: this came about from a TPM story citing anonymous sources that the white house was pushing the trigger option for the PO, which is retarded. And the WH shoots it down right away. And then people were like, who the hell told you this and why was anonymity granted. It was interesting.

Edited by bmags

It's behind a subscription wall but Roll Call has a story today that Texas Rep John Culberson lined up with his daughter over the weekend at an Arlington County public health clinic.

Congressman Culberson voted against providing funding to purchase swine flu vaccination for public health facilities.

So, frankly, I'm pleased with Reid. Wow. Totally shocked at him going for this, and pleased that Baucus was saying he'd vote for something like that. Just need to whip Bayh/Lincoln/Nelson not to vote against f'n cloture.