The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 08:33 AM)
I read about this first and figured "oh, that's just another attempt to make a statement by introducing a bill that will never actually come up for consideration anywhere. It's insane."

Then I learned it had already passed a committee.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 09:11 AM)
South Dakota Moves To Legalize Killing Abortion Providers.

Welcome to South Dakota.

Balta, no one reads your posts.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 09:17 AM)
Balta, no one reads your posts.

I did. More amazing stupidity from the religious right crowd. I like to think it won't actually pass into law, and even if it does, I'm pretty darn sure it gets stayed in court immediately, and then stricken down.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 12:08 PM)
I did. More amazing stupidity from the religious right crowd. I like to think it won't actually pass into law, and even if it does, I'm pretty darn sure it gets stayed in court immediately, and then stricken down.

I think there's a more interesting legal question here. Obviously, a person who killed someone for political reasons would still be subject to federal murder and terrorism prosecution, but the question I have is...can a state legalize murder?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 11:10 AM)
I think there's a more interesting legal question here. Obviously, a person who killed someone for political reasons would still be subject to federal murder and terrorism prosecution, but the question I have is...can a state legalize murder?

Some people see abortion as murder anyway. Thing is, the court system doesn't, so this won't fly.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 12:19 PM)
I think that's the larger point. He's kinda worthless on the court.

No, he does exactly what a modern justice is supposed to do. He writes legal decisions based on partisan politics. The oral arguments don't matter any more, it's the same game as House and Senate floor speeches. Sometimes he'll even surprise you with how he decides things based on his politics, but that is the modern interpretation of the Court.

The fact that his wife is on the payroll of several Tea Party groups and the fact that he and Scalia give motivational talks or something like that to Congressional Republicans bothers me a lot more than him not talking and being a reliably partisan vote.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 12:24 PM)
Some people see abortion as murder anyway. Thing is, the court system doesn't, so this won't fly.

I know that...I'm just asking...in terms of the law itself, if a state chose to legalize murder, could they do so? They'd be disagreeing with Federal laws and the Feds could take actions to respond in carrot and stick style, but the Feds can't force a state to prosecute a crime if the state chooses not to, can they?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 11:25 AM)
I know that...I'm just asking...in terms of the law itself, if a state chose to legalize murder, could they do so? They'd be disagreeing with Federal laws and the Feds could take actions to respond in carrot and stick style, but the Feds can't force a state to prosecute a crime if the state chooses not to, can they?

I don't know the dynamics involved, but there are certainly federal laws on the subject. Would take some research to determine how it would fall out. In any case, a court of law will squash this thing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 11:24 AM)
No, he does exactly what a modern justice is supposed to do. He writes legal decisions based on partisan politics. The oral arguments don't matter any more, it's the same game as House and Senate floor speeches. Sometimes he'll even surprise you with how he decides things based on his politics, but that is the modern interpretation of the Court.

The fact that his wife is on the payroll of several Tea Party groups and the fact that he and Scalia give motivational talks or something like that to Congressional Republicans bothers me a lot more than him not talking and being a reliably partisan vote.

He's largely inconsequential and unoriginal and just goes along with Thomas and Scalia.

The politicization of the SCOTUS is a different issue than Thomas's worthlessness.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 12:37 PM)
He's largely inconsequential and unoriginal and just goes along with Thomas and Scalia.

The politicization of the SCOTUS is a different issue than Thomas's worthlessness.

I disagree. They're the same issue to me.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 01:57 PM)

How is this news? The book "Curveball" covered all of this years ago, they guy was full of it, and the Germans and Brits knew it. The US just WANTED it to all be true, so they could do what they had already planned to do for different reasons.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 01:58 PM)
How is this news? The book "Curveball" covered all of this years ago, they guy was full of it, and the Germans and Brits knew it. The US just WANTED it to all be true, so they could do what they had already planned to do for different reasons.

Did he openly admit to making it up in the book? There was no evidence in favor of and some contradicting his bulls*** as far back as 2002/2003, but not an open admission by the source until now.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 02:01 PM)
Did he openly admit to making it up in the book? There was no evidence in favor of and some contradicting his bulls*** as far back as 2002/2003, but not an open admission by the source until now.

Its been a few years since I read the book, but as I recall, not only were some of his stories directly and clearly refuted, but he did begin backpedalling and admitting some falsehoods. Maybe not a complete overall diatribe of guilt, but something close to it.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)
It never hurts to point out how wrong everyone who was beating the drums for the Iraq war were. Again. Because I don't think this country is any less susceptible to the same bulls***, different location today.

If it makes you feel any better...the guy running the program where we sent people to Egypt so that the Egyptians would torture them until they said "Yes, Iraq planned everything" was Omar Suleiman.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 09:03 AM)
Of course, the Republican line on defense spending to the above questions is we should have an exponentially increasing defense budget.

And President s***head 's idea is to propose a budget that spends 1.76 times what the gov't takes in in revenue. f***ing brilliant. But then says we all have to live within our means. PLease justify this this piece of s***.

If anyone wants to see the current state of laughable party-gutter politics in Congress nowadays, just look at the reactions to Obama's budget. Derision from the left AND right - which is fine if it makes any sense. But the descriptions people are spewing are just utterly ridiculous. You've got Lefties like JJ Jr and some liberal organizations saying that Obama is promoting radical right wing agendas, and GOP folks saying the exact opposite, all with a straight face. Its a little terrifying, really.