The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (Chet Lemon @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 10:14 AM)
If she does run, though I'm thinking that is less likely as each week passes, she can likely win the nomination. Her grassroots following will carry in the Iowa Caucus, she losses New Hampshire, her popularity in South Carolina will carry her to victory there. Nevada probably goes to Romney, but whichever GOP candidate has won the SC Primary has won the nomination since 1980. No guarantees in '12, but a clear path exists.

She has a chance to win the GOP nom, but she has zero chance in the general, so I tend to think the GOP establishment will work hard to keep her away from that nomination.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 09:56 AM)
By liberals, because they want to continue this pipe dream that no real candidate will challenge Obama.

She polls quite well with the current potential hopefuls. There isn't a clear front runner on the GOP side.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 11:19 AM)
She has a chance to win the GOP nom, but she has zero chance in the general, so I tend to think the GOP establishment will work hard to keep her away from that nomination.

No doubt the establishment will throw roadblocks wherever possible. You already see it from established GOP pundits and some of the leadership in their comments about the '12 race. However, the recent primary defeats of GOP establishment-backed candidates in Alabama, Delaware, Alaska, Utah and Nevada show just how powerless thwarting her nomination may be.

This anti-gay stuff in Uganada is appalling.

On Wednesday afternoon, [gay rights advocate David] Kato was beaten to death with a hammer in his rough and tumble neighborhood. Police officials were quick to chalk up the motive to robbery, but the small and increasingly besieged gay community in Uganda suspects otherwise. “David’s death is a result of the hatred planted in Uganda by U.S Evangelicals in 2009,” said Val Kalende, the chairperson of one of Uganda’s gay rights groups, in a statement.

QUOTE (Chet Lemon @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 05:45 PM)
No doubt the establishment will throw roadblocks wherever possible. You already see it from established GOP pundits and some of the leadership in their comments about the '12 race. However, the recent primary defeats of GOP establishment-backed candidates in Alabama, Delaware, Alaska, Utah and Nevada show just how powerless thwarting her nomination may be.

I hope she wins the Republican nomination. Would put Texas into a "swing state" category. :lolhitting

Public Policy Polling (D)

1/14-16/11; 892 likely voters, 3.3% margin of error

Mode: Automated phone

PPP release

Texas

2012 President

48% Gingrich, 43% Obama

55% Huckabee, 39% Obama

47% Palin, 46% Obama

49% Romney, 42% Obama

45% Obama, 45% Perry

Terrorists in Arizona shoot 9 year old and father at point blank range.

A nine-year-old girl begged for her life before being shot dead along with her father by an anti-immigrant vigilante group, a court heard.

Brisenia Flores was gunned down at point-blank range in her own home in Flores, Arizona, as her terrified mother Gina Gonzalez, who had also been hit, played dead on the floor.

She sobbed as the court was told how she had heard Brisenia's desperate pleas as her killer stood over her.

'I can hear it happening,' Mrs Flores told the court describing how her daughter said: 'Why did you shoot my dad? Why did you shoot my mum?'

'I can hear her telling him to "please don't shoot me."'

The prosecution alleges that the child and her father Raul Flores Jr were murdered in May 30, 2009 by a group of vigilantes set up to tackle Mexican immigrants.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 04:27 PM)
I hope she wins the Republican nomination. Would put Texas into a "swing state" category. :lolhitting

PPP release

Texas

2012 President

48% Gingrich, 43% Obama

55% Huckabee, 39% Obama

47% Palin, 46% Obama

49% Romney, 42% Obama

45% Obama, 45% Perry

That is hilarious because I thought 46% of Texas thought the President was a Muslim interloper.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 03:27 PM)

PPP release

Texas

2012 President

48% Gingrich, 43% Obama

55% Huckabee, 39% Obama

47% Palin, 46% Obama

49% Romney, 42% Obama

45% Obama, 45% Perry

That poll tells you exactly why Palin isn't a front runner for the GOP. If she can't poll higher than a dude from Arkansas in Texas she has no f***ing chance.

Palin has to face other GOP nominees and they will be f***ing brutal on her.

Of course that's part of her charm package, that she is right and they are wrong, that only she and her supporters are the ones who REALLY understand America, but that base is very limited. It's immune to attacks from the "establishment" type candidates and under scrutiny from actual Republicans it won't disappear, but it will fade some.

From my "Things that I just had to post" file.

A few days ago, China Central Television showed footage of what they claimed was an air force training exercise conducted on January 23. From the looks of things, they were actually just playing clips from Top Gun.

To answer your next question, no this is not from the Onion.

Was Spying On Us In The Pledge?

Earnest as many Tea Partiers are in wanting a smaller, less intrusive government, it's going to be difficult to take their movement seriously if they keep insisting that the Republican Party is the only choice for liberty-minded individuals, as this CNET story shows:

The Hou
s
e Republican
s
fir
s
t major technology initiative i
s
about to be unveiled: a pu
s
h to force Internet companie
s
to
k
eep trac
k
of what their u
s
er
s
are doing. A Hou
s
e panel chaired by Rep. F. Jame
s
S
en
s
enbrenner of Wi
s
con
s
in i
s
s
cheduled to hold a hearing tomorrow morning to di
s
cu
s
s
forcing Internet provider
s
, and perhap
s
Web companie
s
a
s
well, to
s
tore record
s
of their u
s
er
s
activitie
s
for later review by police.

One focu
s
will be on reviving a dormant propo
s
al for data retention that would require companie
s
to
s
tore Internet Protocol (IP) addre
s
s
e
s
for two year
s
, CNET ha
s
learned. Tomorrow
s
data retention hearing i
s
juxtapo
s
ed again
s
t the recent trend to protect Internet u
s
er
s
privacy by
s
toring le
s
s
data. La
s
t month, the Federal Trade Commi
s
s
ion called for
limited retention
of u
s
er data on privacy ground
s
, and in the la
s
t 24 hour
s
, both Mozilla and Google have announced do-not-trac
k
technology.

Via Glenn Reynolds, who notes, "They call it the stupid party for a reason." With President Obama continuing his awful record on civil liberties – without much objection from elected Democratic officials – and the GOP reminding us why liberty-minded people loathed their prior stint running Congress, there's basically nowhere left for libertarians to turn. I don't begrudge anyone for thinking they're better off aligning with the Republicans or the Democrats. But I can't stand folks who pretend that advocates of overweening government are all on one side, or that the right thing to do at the ballot box is obvious.

via Conor Friedersdorf (filling in for Sullivan)

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 30, 2011 -> 01:20 PM)

By the way, it's worth pointing out how no matter who makes the point Maher tries to make about how Baseball and Football are like the Democratic and Republican philosophies, baseball's still the sport which has had a whole lot more mobility up and down in terms of who's actually winning the games, and the NFL has franchises just as moribund as the Pirates & Royals in MLB.