Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lowe's pulls advertising from TLC's 'All-American Muslim'

The conservative Florida Family Association, which is pushing advertisers to drop "All-American Muslim," cheered Lowe's decision. The group called the TLC show "propaganda that riskily hides the Islamic agenda's clear and present danger to American liberties and traditional values."

One less place I'll be shopping at.

This unintentionally hilarious Forbes piece, entitled "If I were a poor black kid" (imaginary subtitle: views on poverty from privileged upper class whites) is pretty mind-numbing.

there have been some good responses, though:

If I were a rich white guy

Marks points out that if I happen to be a good deal smarter and much luckier than most of my “cohort,” as they say in the University of Pennsylvania sociology class that I will never attend, all I need to do is work extremely hard in school, get my hands on some computer technology one way or another, use it to somewhat magically acquire the cultural capital regarding the world of education that Marks acknowledges was a birthright for his own children, and then squeeze some scholarships out of the limousine liberals on the boards of Choate or Phillips Exeter. This will allow me to get into college, which as Marks is well aware guarantees Americans today a solidly middle class — as a writer for Forbes he defines this as a household income of $250,000 per year or higher — lifestyle.

This is just a terrific set of unspeakably useful suggestions for someone in my admittedly daunting social situation. Thanks rich middle-aged white guy!

Letter from a poor black kid: Baratunde Thurston responds to Forbes' Gene Marks

I am a poor black kid. I don't have great parental or educational resources. I'm not as smart as your kids. These are facts. In 2011.

The one smart thing I do everyday is read Forbes. It's what all us poor black kids do. Forbes is constantly reporting on issues of relevance to me and my community. This week, I found your article "If I Were A Poor Black Kid" printed out and slid under my door like all Forbes articles.

Of course the best is this 1997 Onion article that does an amazing job of lampooning the whole thing 14 years before it was even written.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 05:23 PM)
There are about 35 companies that have pulled their ads. Better get checking that list, wouldn't want you to impugn your integrity.

A lot of the list of people who have pulled those ads are incorrect. The list includes people who purchased schedules that have run its course - not people who have pulled their ads.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 10:34 AM)
A lot of the list of people who have pulled those ads are incorrect. The list includes people who purchased schedules that have run its course - not people who have pulled their ads.

And "Choosing not to continue buying ads on a show with low ratings" is not an unusual business decision either.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 10:37 AM)
And "Choosing not to continue buying ads on a show with low ratings" is not an unusual business decision either.

The show has average ratings. But its not unusual for companies who have scheduled their ad buys months in advance not to make any more ad purchasing decisions in the last month of the year.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 10:41 AM)
The show has average ratings. But its not unusual for companies who have scheduled their ad buys months in advance not to make any more ad purchasing decisions in the last month of the year.
At least in the ohter thread, someone was insisting that the show was fairly low rated and that its ratings were plummeting.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 02:23 PM)

There are about 35 companies that have pulled their ads. Better get checking that list, wouldn't want you to impugn your integrity.

What exactly are you trying to get at with the dickish tone in your post? Are you mocking me because I have principles that I abide by? Did the other 35 companies go out of their way to explain how they're specifically pulling their ad because of the religious implications of the show?

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 09:50 AM)
1.2 Million on TLC is not a bad number.

Mad Men averages under 3 million viewers a night and that show is a hit.

Actual ratings don't mean much, it depends on the demographic more than anything else.

So, for example, let's say your show gets 3.2 million viewers, but these are all older people, 50+ age range. My show only gets 1.1 million, but my 1.1 million are all 18-21 year olds...my show would be considered the success.

I doubt the ratings of the demographic advertisers are interested in watch that. :D

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 11:17 AM)
Actual ratings don't mean much, it depends on the demographic more than anything else.

So, for example, let's say your show gets 3.2 million viewers, but these are all older people, 50+ age range. My show only gets 1.1 million, but my 1.1 million are all 18-21 year olds...my show would be considered the success.

I doubt the ratings of the demographic advertisers are interested in watch that. :D

Not all advertisers want the same demographic.