• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 10:18 AM)
Actually, I'd say that the main competition for domestic live Christmas trees is plastic Christmas trees, most likely produced in Asia, and then imported into the U.S.

Now here is where you might have a bit of a logical conundrum, Balta. Which is more environmentally friendly? A plastic tree that you use for 10 years, or 10 individual trees that are farmed and have to be regrown?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 10:21 AM)
Now here is where you might have a bit of a logical conundrum, Balta. Which is more environmentally friendly? A plastic tree that you use for 10 years, or 10 individual trees that are farmed and have to be regrown?

I'm pretty sure it's been studied in-depth and found that live trees are better than plastic, and that the best route is to buy a tree with roots in-tact and replant it in your yard.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 10:06 AM)
I'm not sure that "Subsidize" is the correct word here, since no taxpayer funds are at risk, it's just making use of the already extant system of collecting and distributing taxes to allow funds to be pooled in a certain way.

The government definitely does subsidize US based agricultural industry advertising already, to the tune of billions of taxpayer dollars. It'd be a lot nicer if those subsidies were set up like this.

You don't think this is a waste of the USGA's money and resources? Also, much like the auto-bailouts weren't going to cost the tax payers money - how's that working out? Didn't they just up the losses from 14 billion to 24 billion?

My law firm would love it if we could just tack on .15 cents to each billable hour we work. We'll promise to use the funds SOLELY to fund our lobbyist...er...create marketing campaigns against tort reform. Cool?

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 10:49 AM)
You don't think this is a waste of the USGA's money and resources? Also, much like the auto-bailouts weren't going to cost the tax payers money - how's that working out? Didn't they just up the losses from 14 billion to 24 billion?

My law firm would love it if we could just tack on .15 cents to each billable hour we work. We'll promise to use the funds SOLELY to fund our lobbyist...er...create marketing campaigns against tort reform. Cool?

You can tack on whatever you want. That's different from an industry-wide tax to support industry-wide advertising.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 10:51 AM)
You can tack on whatever you want. That's different from an industry-wide tax to support industry-wide advertising.

So make it industry wide. What's the difference? It's an incredibly stupid idea. It's using the government (public) for a purely private interest.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 10:52 AM)
So make it industry wide. What's the difference? It's an incredibly stupid idea. It's using the government (public) for a purely private interest.

I'm in agreement that this probably isn't a good idea, but your example didn't make much sense. A similar initiative would be the government adding a .15 tax to all legal services and using it to fund an advertising campaign for legal services, not a single law firm doing it.

But there's no reason that industry trade groups couldn't get together without government sponsorship.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 10:55 AM)
I'm in agreement that this probably isn't a good idea, but your example didn't make much sense. A similar initiative would be the government adding a .15 tax to all legal services and using it to fund an advertising campaign for legal services, not a single law firm doing it.

But there's no reason that industry trade groups couldn't get together without government sponsorship.

That is what I meant. My firm can tack on some government-imposed fee for legal services (as would others) for the purpose of paying for a lobbyist (marketing) to lobby (advertise) for something the industry in general might want (like tort-reform).

At least we both agree it's a stupid idea to get the government involved!

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 11:01 AM)
That is what I meant. My firm can tack on some government-imposed fee for legal services (as would others) for the purpose of paying for a lobbyist (marketing) to lobby (advertise) for something the industry in general might want (like tort-reform).

At least we both agree it's a stupid idea to get the government involved!

no, I already clarified, the correct answer is to bypass corporatocracy by nationalizing industries.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 11:21 AM)

I think you're setting up this question to shoot down what Balta is saying by asking a leading question to suggest plastic trees are better... but, they're not. Live trees are grown and recycled, a lot of times grown locally, while they're grown they take in CO2, and when they're done being used they're biodegradeable. Plastic trees are produced using chemicals, usually somewhere like China, and then they're shipped across the Pacific/thru the Panama canal halfway around the world, all of which pollutes. Then when the tree breaks down it gets thrown in a dumpster.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 07:13 PM)
I think you're setting up this question to shoot down what Balta is saying by asking a leading question to suggest plastic trees are better... but, they're not. Live trees are grown and recycled, a lot of times grown locally, while they're grown they take in CO2, and when they're done being used they're biodegradeable. Plastic trees are produced using chemicals, usually somewhere like China, and then they're shipped across the Pacific/thru the Panama canal halfway around the world, all of which pollutes. Then when the tree breaks down it gets thrown in a dumpster.

I sort of was, but honestly was also curious. I didn't know the answer.

I'm having difficulty finding news on tahrir square. It seems encouraging that despite the deaths, the government is being...responsive, i guess? people are stepping down over it. Thoughts go out to those young people trying to change their country.