The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (Cknolls @ May 4, 2015 -> 10:22 AM)
Was the ship in int'l waters?

Based on what I read the area where it was grabbed is technically Iranian waters but they generally allow international ships to pass because otherwise no ships would be able to pass into the Persian Gulf whatsoever since the entire straits would be claimed by someone.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 4, 2015 -> 11:44 AM)
Based on what I read the area where it was grabbed is technically Iranian waters but they generally allow international ships to pass because otherwise no ships would be able to pass into the Persian Gulf whatsoever since the entire straits would be claimed by someone.

I thought it was technically international waters that Iran keeps trying to claim as its own.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 6, 2015 -> 04:12 PM)
I thought it was technically international waters that Iran keeps trying to claim as its own.

The Strait of Hormuz is 21 miles at its narrowest point and generally a nation's territorial waters are expected to extend 12 miles from the coast by my reading, so at the narrow point any shipping lane must traverse through either Iran or Oman's territorial waters. The international shipping lane in the middle is generally accepted but it must traverse the waters of one of those 2 states.

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking about stereotypes today and wondering if they were true.

Republicans: An ornery, selfish bunch of well to do money grubbers who have decided it's their way or the highway. They will in no way cooperate with a Democratic president and will try to block any idea of that democratic president good or bad. It doesn't really help them get elected, but they do that anyway. They are against helping people who are down on their luck and pretty much are elitist, rich snobs. (PLEASE RATE MY STEREOTYPE).

Democrats: A group of people with an inherent advantage because the media abhor Republicans and want Democrats to run our country at any cost. Are very weak leaders and have no clue how to even start getting those Republicans to pass their measures for the betterment of the country. Pretty much a passive, blase group that is satisfied just being in power, not getting anything accomplished. Have the right idea wanting affordable or even free health care, but again have bad ideas as how to implement this without bankrupting the hospitals and getting doctors to seriously consider other professions (PLEASE RATE MY STEREOTYPE).

Edited by greg775

Former Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert indicted on federal charges

Former U.S. Speaker of the House John Dennis Hastert was charged Thursday with attempting to evade banks' reporting requirements and lying to the FBI about his actions.

He was charged with structuring a cash withdrawal of $952,000 so as to get around the rule that banks must report such transactions over $10,000. The charges also allege that he lied to the FBI about his actions.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 29, 2015 -> 12:52 AM)
That part is sealed but there are rumors /speculation swirling around out there.

I would think that should be the bigger story. Former Speaker Blackmailed! As for his withdrawals, it is just disgusting that it is a crime to withdraw your own money.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 29, 2015 -> 09:21 AM)
It is not a crime to withdraw your own money.

Sure it is, if you take it in amounts under the 10k limit to avoid reporting to the irs. he should have told them it was one of their business why he was taking out money, but he had to try and make something up so they will get him for lying now as well.

Right, like I said, it's not a crime to withdraw your own money. It's a crime to intentionally structure it so as to avoid mandatory reporting. But if you're using it for legitimate purposes, withdraw all you want.

He couldn't have lied about using it for a business. They would have asked for records, receipts etc and he'd be in just as much trouble for lying.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 29, 2015 -> 09:30 AM)
I would think that should be the bigger story. Former Speaker Blackmailed! As for his withdrawals, it is just disgusting that it is a crime to withdraw your own money.

Just to note - the laws requiring these disclosures of movements of large sums of money were actually strengthened in 2001 by the USA Patriot Act as a method of making it harder for terrorists to move/launder money undetected.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 29, 2015 -> 12:45 PM)
Just to note - the laws requiring these disclosures of movements of large sums of money were actually strengthened in 2001 by the USA Patriot Act as a method of making it harder for terrorists to move/launder money undetected.

I know why they are there and how they are abused to confiscate money from legitimate people with almost no hope of getting it back.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 29, 2015 -> 01:50 PM)
I know why they are there and how they are abused to confiscate money from legitimate people with almost no hope of getting it back.

This sounds like you're crossing it up with civil asset forfeiture?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 29, 2015 -> 12:54 PM)
This sounds like you're crossing it up with civil asset forfeiture?

http://dailysignal.com/2015/05/14/federal-...ce-store-owner/

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150511/...se-it-can.shtml

Stories like this one all the time. Mostly on deposits, however. Why the feds need to know what you do with your own money when you withdraw it is a mystery to me. He should have told them to go pound sand, it's his money he can do what he wants. Unless it is illegal to withdraw your money...

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 29, 2015 -> 02:22 PM)
http://dailysignal.com/2015/05/14/federal-...ce-store-owner/

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150511/...se-it-can.shtml

Stories like this one all the time. Mostly on deposits, however. Why the feds need to know what you do with your own money when you withdraw it is a mystery to me. He should have told them to go pound sand, it's his money he can do what he wants. Unless it is illegal to withdraw your money...

Those count as "Civil Asset Forfeiture". Different issue to me.

Genuinely surprised to hear people on this side speak out vehemently against parts of the Patriot Act.

Continuing our nationwide theme of illegal leaks out of sealed indictments and grand jury proceedings:

One of the officials, who would not speak publicly about the federal charges in Chicago, said “Individual A,” as the person is described in Thursday’s federal indictment, was a man and that the alleged misconduct was unrelated to Hastert’s tenure in Congress. The actions date to Hastert’s time as a Yorkville, Ill., high school wrestling coach and teacher, the official said.

“It goes back a long way, back to then,” the source said. “It has nothing to do with public corruption or a corruption scandal. Or to his time in office.” Thursday’s indictment described the misconduct “against Individual A” as having “occurred years earlier.”

Asked why Hastert was making the payments, the official said it was to conceal Hastert’s past relationship with the male. “It was sex,’’ the source said. The other official confirmed that the misconduct involved sexual abuse.

You guys if you want a laugh should follow Brownback in Kansas. He can't get a budget decided upon so there will be furloughs soon. He wants to raise the food tax and sales tax suddenly and all the Missouri stores are laughing realizing tons of Kansans will be going over to Missouri to buy stuff. He also is probably going to raise tax on booze and cigs again sending all the users over the border to buy stuff.

Like I said before the people get what they deserve with Brownback. They re-elected him just a few months ago even though he is a buffoon.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 11:04 AM)
“What the f— was that? We have given him lots of options, he just hasn’t acted on them,” the official told Fox News.

The Pentagon's response to Narcissus. What a clown you guys elected....

Are you willing to invade and reoccupy Iraq and Syria?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 02:45 PM)
Maybe if Iraq was managed better having to re-invade wouldn't be an option.

If 8 years and several trillion dollars and a few thousand lives isn't enough, then I don't know what would have been.