Favre to the Jets

Then you must have some other information than I do because from what Ive read and seen Favre acted like a saint and could have burnt the whole Packer franchise to the ground.

Imagine if he goes to the media and says:

"If Im traded I wont play, Ill only play for the Packers and im going to be at training camp unless they cut me."

Hes been taking bullets for the Packers ever since this whole thing went down, its the Packers who dont want him, its the Packers who wouldnt even trade him to a team that he wanted to go to.

What exactly did Brett do wrong besides for saying:

"Im retiring".

(Edit)

Whats funny is im not even a Favre fan, I usually argue hes pretty over rated, but in this instance I just am dumbfounded by the Packers.

Edited by Soxbadger

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have the energy or the willpower to continue this argument. Truth be told, I don't care to know any more and I think all the attention this has gotten is a god damn joke. This is going on the 3rd year now. Part of the reason I'm so irritated with this is that Favre keeps fueling it.

edit: and now that I think of it, I'm kind of pissed off at myself for wasting perfectly good thoughts and cerebral energy on this.

Edited by lostfan

Just from a football perspective...try to put yourself in that GM's shoes.

You've got a player who's 39 years old at a key position. You keep thinking he's going to retire but he doesn't. He has a $12 million cap number this year. Over the past 3 years you've spent a first and a second rounder piling up players to try to replace that guy. He's starting to become a locker room problem that's hurting your team. He has a concussion history. Although he's been healthy most of his career, he has an absolute ton of miles and hits on his body.

Out of that, you're able to pull off at minimum a 4th round pick, with really good odds of it being a 3rd rounder and a reasonable shot at it being a second rounder.

Even if I allow you that the guy was a pro-bowler last year and had one of the best seasons of his career, and I allow you that the position we're talking about is the QB position, I'd still say that a large majority of GM's in the league would make that deal, to move a guy with a big cap number who's backed up by 2 recent draft picks for a first day pick in the next year. We've seen teams part ways with pro-bowl players, and pro-bowl QB's for a lot less, and most of those are even younger than this one.

The only reason this becomes questionable is when you attach the name Favre and all the emotional ties that go with it.

Balta,

He has a $12 million cap number this year.

And the Packers had the cap space for him, they still have the cap space for him right now.

He's starting to become a locker room problem that's hurting your team.

Arguable at best, Im pretty sure that the majority of veterans want the best chance to win this year, and id venture to guess most of them think thats Favre still.

I'd still say that a large majority of GM's in the league would make that deal, to move a guy with a big cap number who's backed up by 2 recent draft picks for a first day pick in the next year. We've seen teams part ways with pro-bowl players, and pro-bowl QB's for a lot less, and most of those are even younger than this one.

Well thats where I disagree. I think that the majority of teams would not make this deal and would have wanted the best chance to win this year. The 2nd round pick is great if your a team that is rebuilding, but when your a team that went to the NFC championship game last year shouldnt your goal be to win the Super Bowl?

If I was the GM, I would be trying to win this year, and worry about next year next year. Football is not a sport where you can really plan for the future, the turn over rate on players is so high that you just never know what you will have year in and year out.

On the other hand, if the Packers really felt Favre was done and they just wanted maximum value, they would have entertained offers from the Vikings. The fact that they were so afraid of Minnesota getting him that they were not willing to maximize their trade, shows that they still feel Favre is a capable player who can guide a team to the playoffs.

A 2nd round pick is always nice, but its still just a gamble. I guess if my team is a playoff contender, i want them to go for the super bowl.

Different philosophies.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 01:37 PM)
Fixed ;)

I don't care jack squat about the "Accomplishments". This is the NFL. If I'm in the GM's chair, my job is to try to set my team up to win a super bowl as well as I can. If I get hung up on what a player has done for me before, then I'm going to wind up overpaying for vets who are on their inevitable decline and watching my team waste away to mediocrity.

If you want to make an argument about why they shouldn't have traded Favre, you have to contend that he's a huge upgrade from Aaron Rodgers, big enough to justify losing $12 million in cap room and a 3rd or 2nd round pick. If ARog comes out and plays like Grossman and Henne falls apart also while Favre spends the next 2-3 years playing like he did last year, and the Packers can't find another option using that $12 million in cap space and extra pick, then you've probably done it.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 12:41 PM)
Different philosophies.

That's reasonable. But if you want to put yourself in the GM's chair, that's how you have to think about it. You have to think about it as if it's just any other player, you can't let the name be the deciding factor in making that decision. You have to judge what gives you the best chance to win a super bowl, both this year and long term, and weigh as many things as you can.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 02:46 PM)
If you do not care about past accomplishments, then what criteria would you use to predict which QB is going to offer you the best chance of winning this season?

sorry but as a die-hard packer fan since the don majkowski days this trade had to happen. The offensive system in place is built to work for rodgers. He hasnt proved a thing yet but with the weapons and line around him no one is asking him to lead the team.

Thats the thing that bothers me with others saying he gives us the best chance of winning this year. You were the same people clamoring for Favre to retire a few years ago during that 4-12 season saying that he was washed up. His numbers look fantastic last year but that was the result of all the YAC from Driver and Jennings. This is the leagues youngest team and there is no reason why they can be in the playoff mix for years with either Rodgers or Brohm. It is sad it came to this and I dont see how he expects to win with a weaker team in a much stronger conference. Brett will be wishing he stayed retired by Halloween.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 12:46 PM)
If you do not care about past accomplishments, then what criteria would you use to predict which QB is going to offer you the best chance of winning this season?

A combination of recent performance and age/health evaluations.

By past accomplishments, if you're talking about simply the fact that he was a pro-bowl QB last year, that's fine. If by past accomplishments you mean the MVP's he won so many years ago, the Super Bowls in the late 90's, the records he's set, I really don't care if I'm in the GM chair.

The way I look at it...I just picked up a draft pick for a QB who was pro-bowl last year but struggled the couple years before that, who's 39 years old, and who has a big cap number. Altogether I think that's a reasonable move, and it's only because of the Brett Favre mystique that we're having this discussion. If he'd come in to the league at age 35 and put up that good of a season last year, you'd still be totally open to moving him for a 2nd rounder because damnit he's 39.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 04:10 PM)
A combination of recent performance and age/health evaluations.

By past accomplishments, if you're talking about simply the fact that he was a pro-bowl QB last year, that's fine. If by past accomplishments you mean the MVP's he won so many years ago, the Super Bowls in the late 90's, the records he's set, I really don't care if I'm in the GM chair.

The way I look at it...I just picked up a draft pick for a QB who was pro-bowl last year but struggled the couple years before that, who's 39 years old, and who has a big cap number. Altogether I think that's a reasonable move, and it's only because of the Brett Favre mystique that we're having this discussion. If he'd come in to the league at age 35 and put up that good of a season last year, you'd still be totally open to moving him for a 2nd rounder because damnit he's 39.

When you say "Favre name" and "Favre mystique" it sounds like there are no skills to back it up. Clearly is one of the greatest QBs of our generation. There are plenty of skills still there to keep him a legitimate starting QB in the NFL this season. Just based on last season and his history of injuries, or should I say, non history. And you dismiss simply a Pro-Bowl QB last season as meaningless. Would you rather have a Pro-Bowl starter or someone that didn't make the Pro-Bowl?

I think the further back you go, the less relevant experience and accomplishments become. But If I'm trying to win a Championship this year in Green Bay, and let's say for discussion in week two he lost the starting job, I'd love to have him on the sidelines as my backup. But I guess Green Bay is deep enough with proven NFL QBs to toss aside last year's pro bowl QB and still expect to win this season.

i doubt he does well...though the jets play a joke of a schedule this year.... they get the incredibly horrible NFC West, the bad AFC West, their division which is poor outside NE, then Cincy and tenn as wild cards...

2 against NE, one @ SD are tough, but outside of that everything is winnable for them IMO

QUOTE (daa84 @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 02:23 PM)
i doubt he does well...though the jets play a joke of a schedule this year.... they get the incredibly horrible NFC West, the bad AFC West, their division which is poor outside NE, then Cincy and tenn as wild cards...

2 against NE, one @ SD are tough, but outside of that everything is winnable for them IMO

A lot of us have been hoping Buffalo might legitimately be able to make a run this year. Still a young team, but they've filled in a lot of holes spent wisely, have a potential star in Lynch already getting involved in hit & run accidents, and they've brought in a new OC who's supposedly trying to tailor his system to Trent Edwards a lot better.

Of course, part of that involved hoping for wins against the Dolphins and the Jets...