Favre to the Jets

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 03:33 AM)
Can you imagine if Aaron Rodgers isn't good this year, atleast well above average? The cheeseheads will be livid and rightfully so.

Hah, I really hope he sucks.

If I had to speculate this early, I figure that he'd be along the lines of a J.P. Losman.

QUOTE (Shadows @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 03:39 AM)
haha did anybody else catch part of the trade that says the Jets owe the Packers 3 1st round picks if they turn around and deal him to Minnesota

It never said anything about Detroit or Chicago, though - did it?

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 01:33 AM)
Can you imagine if Aaron Rodgers isn't good this year, atleast well above average? The cheeseheads will be livid and rightfully so.

Hah, I really hope he sucks.

Brett Favre retires in early March. I remember as much because I was eating wings with some buddies of mine waaaaay before finals began. He decides come mid to late July that he's not done with football, after you've planned your entire offseason around not having Brett Favre? f*** that, the dumbass (even diehard, mediocre knowledge fans) are wrong in this. The Packers were completely right in doing this. Aaron Rodgers has proven himself capable of being the starting QB of the Packers in game situations and, if not, they have Brian Brohm who is waiting in the wings. This is a fantastic move, even considering Favre might and probably will retire for good following this season.

It does suck that a player with a legacy such as Favre's will continue his career elsewhere, but such is the path of Unitas and Montana before him (and in no goddamn way will I ever include Namath with either of those names ever in my life).

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 01:38 AM)
If I had to speculate this early, I figure that he'd be along the lines of a J.P. Losman.

Yeah, a player a team drafted up for with all the physical tools in the world but after 2 seasons found out he sucked in the head and the legs and couldn't become anything more than Patrick Ramsey (who coincidentally went to the same school as him)? Please tell me you aren't, in any way, shape, or form, comparing JP Losman to Brett Favre. Please.

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 01:37 AM)
Thats how the value of the pick works. Good for Favre to get in a situation that will want him at QB, hes a great, whatever happened in GB is just a tarnish for them and none of the front office will walk away without being belonged to the Favre situation.

Green Bay's front office should have zero liability in this. The situation was caused entirely by Favre.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 04:45 AM)
Yeah, a player a team drafted up for with all the physical tools in the world but after 2 seasons found out he sucked in the head and the legs and couldn't become anything more than Patrick Ramsey (who coincidentally went to the same school as him)? Please tell me you aren't, in any way, shape, or form, comparing JP Losman to Brett Favre. Please.

Please tell me that you read what I replied to. ;)

I was comparing Rodgers to Losman.

Green Bay's front office should have zero liability in this. The situation was caused entirely by Favre.

Not exactly, there have been some whispers out of Packer land that Brett Farve and Ted Thompson have had a rocky relationship stemming from personal problems between the two.

My opinion is the entire reason Brett Farve retired was he did not feel that the Packer management really wanted him back and he was just after last season where he lost in the NFC championship game. Instead of the Packers just telling Brett, "Hey take as much time as you need, youve been our entire franchise we can wait on you", they started to push him for a decision.

When backed into the corner of "committing" or "retiring" he decided to say screw it and retired.

Flash forward a few weeks/months and Farve actually having some time off to rest and get over the loss of the NFC Championship game now wants to play again. Instead of the Packers taking back the man who has defined their franchise, they basically tell him:

"Oh you were gone a few months, we moved on."

That is where the Green Bay Packers jumped the proverbial shark. Can you imagine before Jordan went to the Wizards him asking to be back on the Bulls, and the Bulls telling him they moved on? That he no longer is part of their plans?

The Packers organization put themselves in this position when they decided that they cared more about putting "their guys" on the field than putting the best product on the field. I have not heard one person associated with Green Bay say that this was because Rodgers was better. Its as if they were punishing Farve for being unsure how much longer he could play at 38 years old.

I guess after all the games Farve played for them, youd think that theyd have a little more loyalty to the guy.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 09:36 AM)
Not exactly, there have been some whispers out of Packer land that Brett Farve and Ted Thompson have had a rocky relationship stemming from personal problems between the two.

My opinion is the entire reason Brett Farve retired was he did not feel that the Packer management really wanted him back and he was just after last season where he lost in the NFC championship game. Instead of the Packers just telling Brett, "Hey take as much time as you need, youve been our entire franchise we can wait on you", they started to push him for a decision.

When backed into the corner of "committing" or "retiring" he decided to say screw it and retired.

Flash forward a few weeks/months and Farve actually having some time off to rest and get over the loss of the NFC Championship game now wants to play again. Instead of the Packers taking back the man who has defined their franchise, they basically tell him:

"Oh you were gone a few months, we moved on."

That is where the Green Bay Packers jumped the proverbial shark. Can you imagine before Jordan went to the Wizards him asking to be back on the Bulls, and the Bulls telling him they moved on? That he no longer is part of their plans?

The Packers organization put themselves in this position when they decided that they cared more about putting "their guys" on the field than putting the best product on the field. I have not heard one person associated with Green Bay say that this was because Rodgers was better. Its as if they were punishing Farve for being unsure how much longer he could play at 38 years old.

I guess after all the games Farve played for them, youd think that theyd have a little more loyalty to the guy.

The problem with your logic there is that the Packers face an artificial deadline imposed on them by the NFL...the Draft. The longer the Packers wait in Free Agency, the weaker their chances are because they're not sure if they have to build around Favre or if they have his cap space available, so every day he waits to decide on his annual do I retire or not dance it hurts their ability to sign people, but that's a tolerable sacrifice. But when the draft hits, the Packers needed to know. Do they need to draft another high round QB to be their #2 guy, or do they draft for another year trying to build around Favre and his strengths for one more year.

They may have pushed him towards the retirement side in some way or another that is inappropriate in hindsight, but every day Free Agency rolled along without Favre making a decision hurt the Packers...and their absolute deadline was the draft. You can't build a team if you don't know whether to spend your #2 pick on a QB or on someone else.

The Packers suddenly had a HoF caliber QB who intimately knows the organization available to them. Does not matter how or why. The guy is there and available. At that point the Packers also had an opportunity to make a new decision. They stuck with their earlier decision. They chose the path and may regret it. It certainly was a big PR gamble. From the coverage I saw, I think the Packer front office made decisions based on playing "who's dick is bigger" not on what was best on the field. Bottom line Favre is in NY because of the Packers. They controlled where he played this season.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 10:04 AM)
The Packers suddenly had a HoF caliber QB who intimately knows the organization available to them. Does not matter how or why. The guy is there and available. At that point the Packers also had an opportunity to make a new decision. They stuck with their earlier decision. They chose the path and may regret it. It certainly was a big PR gamble. From the coverage I saw, I think the Packer front office made decisions based on playing "who's dick is bigger" not on what was best on the field. Bottom line Favre is in NY because of the Packers. They controlled where he played this season.

But...Favre is also in NY because he was unable to adapt and make a decision based on anyone else's schedule but his own.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 12:07 PM)
But...Favre is also in NY because he was unable to adapt and make a decision based on anyone else's schedule but his own.

But ... since you used that word ... did Farve get the idea that the Packers were ready to move on and did that affect his decision to retire? Did Farve then decide he's not ready to hang 'em up based on the Packers view of the situation?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 12:07 PM)

The last decision was by the Packers. On Wednesday, they could have had a HoF QB on their roster who knows their system. They chose no. They had many reasons to chose from, hopefully they made it based on the needs of their football team, but I doubt it. IMHO it was a decision they made based on ego, pride, and macho.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 01:17 PM)
But ... since you used that word ... did Farve get the idea that the Packers were ready to move on and did that affect his decision to retire? Did Farve then decide he's not ready to hang 'em up based on the Packers view of the situation?

This really was preventable on Favre's end. If Favre wanted to play this year, he could have.

This article sums up my feelings on the situation pretty well: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ApP7...o&type=lgns

Balta,

I disagree that the Packers had to make any decisions before or after the draft. Who cares that they drafted Brohm with a late second rounder, it really does not change the dynamics of the team at all. Maybe they could have used that pick on something else to make the team better this year, maybe they would have drafted Brohm regardless. The pick of Brohm should have no impact on whether or not Brett Farve made the Packers better this year.

Its not like they used the first pick over all, its not even like they used a first round pick (Rodgers), they used a late 2nd which is not exactly a huge investment that you have to stick with.

This was all about Ted Thompson wanting to show the world that he is the man and the only way he could do that was to get rid of Farve. Look at last year, the Packers were not supposed to be going anywhere. Then all of a sudden they are in the NFC championship game and Farve is 2nd in MVP voting. All the media, all the fans say its all Farve, but you know Thompson thinks it was all him.

As a bulls fan Ive seen something like this go down before, the only difference was Jordan would not play unless the Bulls did other things too (sign coaches bring back other players), here all Farve asked was just to be allowed back on the team. It was the Packers who did not want him back, and when he arrived they made it 100% clear that he was no longer wanted nor part of that team.

The problem I have is that Farve would have missed 0 training camp, 0 preseason if the Packers let him back when he wanted to. Its not like game 4 he decided "Oh let me come back", he decided well before the season started. Its odd that the Jets a team who he has never played for can some how find a way to work them into the system, but the Packers who he spent basically his entire career with have "already moved on."

It doesnt bother me, Im a Bears fan and this is good news for the Bears. I can remember before Farve played, the Packers were a joke. I can remember how Reggie White helped change the perception of the team and make it so free agents would actually sign there. I wonder what will happen now, who is going to want to play for a team that betrayed the player who gave them so much?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/sto...mp;sportCat=nfl

How does this fit into your argument?

April 9: Says he might consider comeback if opportunity was presented

April 4: Agent reportedly contacts teams to gauge trade interest.

The NFL draft was on April 28...

Green Bay Packers had 3 weeks before the draft, they just didnt want Farve back under any circumstances.

lostfan,

That article leaves out the most important part:

Prior to the draft Farve wanted to see if the Packers wanted him back.

The Packers made it clear they did not.

Farve at first thought he could live with not playing football and being run out by the Packers.

Eventually he realized he was not going to let them run him out of football.

/shrugs

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 01:32 PM)
lostfan,

That article leaves out the most important part:

Prior to the draft Farve wanted to see if the Packers wanted him back.

The Packers made it clear they did not.

Farve at first thought he could live with not playing football and being run out by the Packers.

Eventually he realized he was not going to let them run him out of football.

/shrugs

A player of Brett Farve's calibre has every right to make that decision.

I said earlier in the thread "zero liability" which were probably the wrong words to use, but it doesn't change what I'm trying to say, which is that Favre's piss-poor handling of this led to a situation he created for himself. Yeah the Packers probably tried to push him away, but they were also tired of his "will I, won't I" act he'd been pulling for the 3rd year. This isn't like when Krause blew up the Bulls and turned them into the laughingstock of the NBA.

I just dont get what Brett Farve did wrong. I mean okay so he said he retired and then changed his mind, big deal. People change their mind every day, people unretire every single year in some sport. The difference is that for some reason the Packers felt that they were the victims because Farve needed some time to rest and think.

This isn't like when Krause blew up the Bulls and turned them into the laughingstock of the NBA.

Youre right on that count, its a million times worse.

Jordan only would come back if certain conditions were met, Phil Jackson returning, Scottie Pippen etc.

Favre (I spell it Farve because Im a bears fan and well its funny :P) wanted to come back with no conditions. He did not even ask to be named the starter, all he wanted to do was play for the team that he spent his entire career busting his ass for.

How exactly are those situations comparable?

If Jordan walked into Krause's office the day before the season and said:

"Hey Jerry I want to play."

You think the Bulls say:

"Oh sorry MJ we moved on."

The answer is no, Michael immediately becomes the starter. I mean I can remember a certain year where Jordan unretired in the middle of the season.

I guess the Bulls told him they didnt want him anymore because they were tired of his indecisiveness?

(lol)

Do you know the whole background of the Bulls' situation there? There is MUCH more to it than that. You make it sound like Jordan just suddenly decided to start acting like a selfish prima donna (well, he is, but that's neither here nor there) and handcuffed the Bulls. It wasn't like that.

edit: plus virtually the entire team was involved, there was a domino effect, thanks to Krause. Krause ruined that team single-handedly and his sports legacy will burn in hell for that for eternity.

Edited by lostfan

Ive read the books, read the articles, I dont feel the need to write a thousand page story about what happened.

Im not a part of Bulls management nor do I know Jordan personally, so I just base what I know on what I saw and what Ive put together.

Bottom line is that if Jordan had at any point decided he just wanted to play for the Bulls, hed have been a Bull.

As for knowing the whole story, I doubt I do as I dont have any personal knowledge of any of the participants. But I have a pretty good idea what went down.

Just like the Favre situation, I may not know any of them, but when you look at what happened, I dont believe it takes a rocket scientist to figure out the Packers basically told Favre at the end of last year that your days are numbered in this organization.

Cause how hard would it have been to say:

"Hey Brett, we know it was a hard year, we know that you have a lot to think about. Take your time, make the decision thats best for you, and no matter what we will support you in the end."

I just think Thompson was happy Favre was gone and didnt want to leave the door open at all.