Bears going to the Super Bowl?

I love how most of the doubters and naysayers only have one-liners.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 12:45 PM)
A. Possibly in buses.

QUOTE (Maxwell @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 11:25 PM)
So how much do they have to pay for their tickets?

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 10:49 AM)
If by Super Bowl he means battling the Lions for last place, than yes.

*rimshot*

Edited by kyyle23

Here's a question.

Does anyone think that Minny's defense has the potential to be better than Chicago's defense this season?

I mean they trade for Jared Allen in the off-season, who's argubly the best pass rusher in the NFL. They've got a great front 4 with Kevin and Pat Williams, and the secondary's pretty good as well with Winfield in there.

As a Cowboys fan, they're the team I'm most worried about this season. Jackson should be better with the addition of Berrian as well. Don't forget that the Vikings have had terrible WR's ever since Randy Moss left.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 08:33 PM)
There really is only one gaping hole on the offensive line and that is at LG. Garza is a league average player who isn't as bad as some fans make him out to be. Williams is a question mark but only because he's a rookie. Dumping Fred Miller was addition by subtraction.

And can you count on Williams as a rookie. Don't get me wrong, he was absolutely the right choice for the Bears at that spot, but can you rely on a rookie tackle to produce from the get go? There'll be a lot of pressure on him, especially considering he'll be protecting Orton or Grossman's blind side.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 09:04 AM)
Here's a question.

Does anyone think that Minny's defense has the potential to be better than Chicago's defense this season?

I mean they trade for Jared Allen in the off-season, who's argubly the best pass rusher in the NFL. They've got a great front 4 with Kevin and Pat Williams, and the secondary's pretty good as well with Winfield in there.

As a Cowboys fan, they're the team I'm most worried about this season. Jackson should be better with the addition of Berrian as well. Don't forget that the Vikings have had terrible WR's ever since Randy Moss left.

Any time you put together an excellent defensive line, it has the ability to cover up many other flaws on your defense. Case in point: the Giants last year rode their D-Line through the playoffs to the title.

This is some of the beauty of the NFL. Outside of probably 5 teams...everyone else can look at their roster and see reason to think that they could be a super bowl team. The Vikings could certainly put together one heck of a team this year, but so can the Bears.

see here's the thing, as someone said, and why I laugh at when some people argument about who is good and bad in the nfl so adamently,

every year the opposite happens of what everyone expects except for a few AFC teams. Sure, the cowboys will probably be good this year. BUt besides that, I wouldn't put a guarantee on any team.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 11:11 AM)
Any time you put together an excellent defensive line, it has the ability to cover up many other flaws on your defense. Case in point: the Giants last year rode their D-Line through the playoffs to the title.

This is some of the beauty of the NFL. Outside of probably 5 teams...everyone else can look at their roster and see reason to think that they could be a super bowl team. The Vikings could certainly put together one heck of a team this year, but so can the Bears.

The Vikings at least have a stud RB though. It's hard to say the Bears have one above average playmaker on any spot on their offense.

That defense is going to have to be 2006-2007 dominant if they want to make the playoffs again IMHO. But the overall competition in that division is a lot tougher now also.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 12:04 PM)
Here's a question.

Of course they have that sort of potential. I don't think anyone can deny that they have the potential to be the very best defense in the NFL.

Receivers aren't Tarvaris Jackson's problem. Tarvaris Jackson is Tarvaris Jackson's problem.

Who knows -- he looked good for a game or two last year, he could conceivably shake off the rest of the games and really be a threat. But I'll need to see a few games before I believe that.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 12:06 PM)
And can you count on Williams as a rookie. Don't get me wrong, he was absolutely the right choice for the Bears at that spot, but can you rely on a rookie tackle to produce from the get go? There'll be a lot of pressure on him, especially considering he'll be protecting Orton or Grossman's blind side.

I think you can count on him to be okay. Think a little better than Marc Colombo's rookie year (before the injury). He's not replacing a dominant left tackle, though, so I don't expect a big letdown from that position. First-round rookie ot have done fairly well recently -- McNeill, Thomas, Staley, D'Brick.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 10:20 AM)
Of course they have that sort of potential. I don't think anyone can deny that they have the potential to be the very best defense in the NFL.

Receivers aren't Tarvaris Jackson's problem. Tarvaris Jackson is Tarvaris Jackson's problem.

Who knows -- he looked good for a game or two last year, he could conceivably shake off the rest of the games and really be a threat. But I'll need to see a few games before I believe that.

I think you can count on him to be okay. Think a little better than Marc Colombo's rookie year (before the injury). He's not replacing a dominant left tackle, though, so I don't expect a big letdown from that position. First-round rookie ot have done fairly well recently -- McNeill, Thomas, Staley, D'Brick.

And further, Tait is switching to his dominant position and replacing the turnstile Fred Miller on the opposite side. You may lose a little bit in Williams with experience, but overall the line gains in protection. Plus, St Clair may not be starting caliber, but he filled in pretty well for Tait, and having him behind Williams is a pretty good backup policy IMO

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 11:06 AM)

I think Williams will be fine. I mean, even highly-projected rookie are never a sure thing, but I think Williams was about as safe as the Bears could get. Now what I'm actually worried about is whether the below average (I'm being generous there) play at LG is going to hinder Williams's learning curve.

Obviously the Vikings will have an elite D-line, but their line has always been one of the better lines in the NFL (although not so much for pass rushing). However, the Bears have also had an elite D-line for the past few years now, in fact the defense is built entirely around it. Last year was the aberration because of a lack of depth at DT (which has since been addressed), along with Tommie Harris playing basically on one leg. I think people are already starting to overlook that. Defense isn't going to be the question with the Bears in '08. How competitive they are depends entirely on how the O-line plays, IMO.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 12:14 PM)
I think Williams will be fine. I mean, even highly-projected rookie are never a sure thing, but I think Williams was about as safe as the Bears could get. Now what I'm actually worried about is whether the below average (I'm being generous there) play at LG is going to hinder Williams's learning curve.

Am I the only one who thinks St Clair would be more than adequate at lg? Everyone's worried about that position, but I thought he looked pretty good there in his stint last season.

I know he's also the primary backup tackle, but I don't see the reason he can't back up there while starting at lg. (If he's pressed into service at tackle, you use Metcalf or Beekman at lg.) Why not have the best 5 out there to start the year?

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 01:42 PM)
Am I the only one who thinks St Clair would be more than adequate at lg? Everyone's worried about that position, but I thought he looked pretty good there in his stint last season.

I know he's also the primary backup tackle, but I don't see the reason he can't back up there while starting at lg. (If he's pressed into service at tackle, you use Metcalf or Beekman at lg.) Why not have the best 5 out there to start the year?

It's really just Metcalf that I'm worried about. Beekman is a giant question mark, but the fact that they didn't let him on the field AT ALL even when the season was obviously a lost cause is a cause for concern IMO.