Sox Option Russell, Call Up Clayton Richard

JDsDirtySox

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 11:06 PM)
"The White Sox have altered their rotation, partly in an attempt to slow down Texas' formidable lineup. Staff ace Mark Buehrle had his scheduled start moved from Wednesday to Tuesday night against the Rangers, and recently promoted left-hander Clayton Richard will make his major-league debut Wednesday. The Rangers entered Monday night's game against the Sox with a .279 batting average, but they were batting only .255 against lefties and 11-19 in games against left-handed starting pitchers."

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...1,6452315.story

But why can't Richard pitch Tuesday and Buerhle Wednesday on 5 days rest????

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 11:11 AM)
But why can't Richard pitch Tuesday and Buerhle Wednesday on 5 days rest????

The score has been saying that Buehrle's grandfather's funeral is tomorrow, so the Sox are letting him pitch today so he can go to the funeral.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 02:15 PM)
From what I've read Clayton Richard's whole game is based around command/location of pitches since his stuff is so mediocre. This certainly isn't another Andrew Sisco.

From what everybody has heard/is describing, I'm thinking he could be described as a lefthanded Jon Garland type. Not a big "stuff" guy who will strike out a bunch of hitters, but a guy who relies on the groundball, doesn't walk many, and keeps his team in the game. That seemed to work well for Jon while he was here(back to back 18 win seasons). Let's be honest, he can't be much worse than Contreras has been lately. I'm expecting good things Wednesday.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 03:11 PM)
-- Wow, he's 6-foot-6. Hope he has command. Sometimes these tall guys are wild. Should be an interesting start against the hot hitting Rangers (except last weekend). Those minor leaguers in the clip are aggressive at the plate. They come out swingin.

The guy has only 20 walks in 121 innings. That's a very low rate. But you think his height might make him wild?

The guy has only 20 walks in 121 innings. That's a very low rate. But you think his height might make him wild?

Yes I was wondering if he oould be wild. Tall guys often can't find the strike zone. I'm hoping his minor league numbers as far as walks hold up. I want him to succeed.

I don't like Richard's pitching motion at all. He looks very stiff and uncomfortable on the mound. He short arms it big time, snapping the arm around, and he doesn't follow through very much. He also doesn't stride out much at all. For a tall guy, that's not good, because he can get wild high in the zone and eventually leave some pitches up to get crushed.

Hopefully he proves me wrong. Can't wait to see him throw.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 02:15 PM)
I don't like Richard's pitching motion at all. He looks very stiff and uncomfortable on the mound. He short arms it big time, snapping the arm around, and he doesn't follow through very much. He also doesn't stride out much at all. For a tall guy, that's not good, because he can get wild high in the zone and eventually leave some pitches up to get crushed.

Hopefully he proves me wrong. Can't wait to see him throw.

funniest looking delivery I've seen in a while

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 02:11 PM)
-- Wow, he's 6-foot-6. Hope he has command. Sometimes these tall guys are wild. Should be an interesting start against the hot hitting Rangers (except last weekend). Those minor leaguers in the clip are aggressive at the plate. They come out swingin.

Funny thing is that there has been a discrepancy about his height and weight since he turned pro. He is actually 6'5" 240, but some official info on him had him listed as 6'0" 175. I've heard opposing team announcers say that and they're looking right at him. The back of his 2008 Barons card has him listed as 6'0" 175.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 12:16 AM)
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?g...mp;mode=gameday

There are some highlights in Gameday.

Mostly of Texas clobbering him.

There's also this AAA start

I got to see it on ESPN. It is a bit weird, but reminds me of another picther - who I can't remember at this time