New Orleans Food

Jimbo's Drinker

When i went to the Superbowl in 2002 I had some amazing food: jambalaya, crabcakes, bananas foster, sirloin and portabella on a stick, eggs benedict(every morning), gumbo, tira misu, and plenty of chicaree coffee.

And then the alcohol.....

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 12:54 PM)
Did you go down to Bourbon Street at all Jimbo?

New Orleans is on the "To Do" list.

Of course I did!!! Loved every minute of it.

I had charcoaled oysters, raw oysters, crawfish(including sucking the brains), blackened shrimp, shrimp po-boy and that doughnut thingy at Cafe Dumont.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 12:06 PM)
That's certainly a lot of seafood.

I never knew how big shrimp was until I came over here also FWIW. Seems like you can get it anywhere really.

yes my Heart hurts and I am hitting the gym to start the detox of fried foods.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 01:10 PM)
New Orleans has cuisine that for some reason cannot be duplicated outside of that area. I've been to many 'authentic' New Orleans restaurants and it's not even close to the real thing.

One restaurant, Drago's was as good of a meal as I have ever had.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 12:14 PM)
One restaurant, Drago's was as good of a meal as I have ever had.

I can't remember the names of two places that really stood out. One is an place that has been there since like the early 1900's I believe. It has something like 12 different dining areas. If you go when it's not busy, they will give you a tour of every room and tell you stories about Presidents and famous people who have dined in each one. Cusine+service+history=amazing.

The other was a very casual place right on Bourbon St. that had a huge balcony. Great cuisine that had me racing for the men's room before when even left......so I ate again.

Oh and the Hurricanes. I got back to the hotel at 4 am one morning and passed out, slept til like 11 am, got up to take a leak, stood over the toilet and STILL had the spins. Went back to bed for another 3 hours. Never had another Hurricane since.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 02:23 PM)
I can't remember the names of two places that really stood out. One is an place that has been there since like the early 1900's I believe. It has something like 12 different dining areas. If you go when it's not busy, they will give you a tour of every room and tell you stories about Presidents and famous people who have dined in each one. Cusine+service+history=amazing.

The other was a very casual place right on Bourbon St. that had a huge balcony. Great cuisine that had me racing for the men's room before when even left......so I ate again.

Oh and the Hurricanes. I got back to the hotel at 4 am one morning and passed out, slept til like 11 am, got up to take a leak, stood over the toilet and STILL had the spins. Went back to bed for another 3 hours. Never had another Hurricane since.

That first place sounds like maybe either Commander's Palace on St. Charles in the garden District, which was built in 1880, or maybe Dooky Chase's on Orleans. Lots of great old places though, so maybe one of the Brennan family places.

I would be 400 pounds if I lived in Nawlins. Best food on the planet.