Obama Tour

Jenksismyhero

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 09:30 AM)
So then would it have been better if he wrote "HA HA, I knew you'd print this!"

Just because he suspected someone would take it out and make it public doesn't make it anymore of anyone's business.

I didn't say that. However, knowing that what you are supposed to write in private would become public, is it really then sincere? Only he will ever know.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 09:35 AM)
I didn't say that. However, knowing that what you are supposed to write in private would become public, is it really then sincere? Only he will ever know.

To me it's sorta like an attractive woman wearing next to nothing outside and then getting mad when guys take a look. Did you see the media circus surrounding his arrival there? Not saying it's right, but at the same time he opened himself up to that.

I find it more akin to blaming a girl for how she dressed or how much she had to drink after she is raped. I don't care if Obama had any motivations or not, this was a disgusting invasion of privacy. No one should have touched his note, let alone published it. That is between him and God.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 09:32 AM)
I find it more akin to blaming a girl for how she dressed or how much she had to drink after she is raped. I don't care if Obama had any motivations or not, this was a disgusting invasion of privacy. No one should have touched his note, let alone published it. That is between him and God.

Except that he's not doing it in a private manner. It'd be different if he gave confession and his confessions were made public. The him and his God point doesn't make any sense when (1) the place is in public and (2) there's 10,000 media people present.

Again, I'm not saying its right, but it should have been expected.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 10:08 AM)
Except that he's not doing it in a private manner. It'd be different if he gave confession and his confessions were made public. The him and his God point doesn't make any sense when (1) the place is in public and (2) there's 10,000 media people present.

Again, I'm not saying its right, but it should have been expected.

He didn't make a public confession, or anything of the like. He didn't stand up in front of a microphone and read his letter. More accurately would be me following you into the confessional, recording everything that was said, and then selling it to the highest bidder. Everyone can see you walk into the confessional, so by your definition it is public and should be out there for everyone to hear.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 11:28 AM)
I am not sure if you are addressing me or Jenks, but I am 100% WITH Obama on this one. It was complete bush league to steal the letter and print it.

neither. just posting that for the sake of posting it.

Well I might have to take back my Obama-backing on the published prayer issue if this report is true.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1005882.html

Ma'ariv issued a response Sunday, saying that "Obama's note was published in Ma'ariv and other international publications following Obama's authorization to make the content of the note public. Obama submitted a copy of the note to media outlets when he left his hotel in Jerusalem. Moreover, since Obama is not Jewish, there is no violation of privacy as there would be for a Jewish person who places a note in the Western Wall."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 02:04 PM)
Well I might have to take back my Obama-backing on the published prayer issue if this report is true.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 02:06 PM)
Not trying to offend anyone on this topic but this one gets a big fat "who cares?" from me.

Well, if he did this, it was all a political stunt, and that is worse then ANYTHING else he could do. That is basically making a mockery of millions (billions, depending on how you look at it) of people.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 02:14 PM)
Well, if he did this, it was all a political stunt, and that is worse then ANYTHING else he could do. That is basically making a mockery of millions (billions, depending on how you look at it) of people.

A political stunt? Sure. A mockery? Come on now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 02:04 PM)

Well, of course they would say that, they are trying to defend themselves. Hard to say if its true or not.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but, didn't the note that was published look like a crumpled up, hand written thing? Why on earth would the Obama campaign give them "a copy" that was hand scribbled and crumpled up?

I don't buy this.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 02:24 PM)
A political stunt? Sure. A mockery? Come on now.

Sure it is, because he then CALCULATED what this would mean to people. That's a mockery of God and religion.

But again, that's a BIG *IF* he allowed it to become public - because remember what you're dealing with when you're talking about the wall and what it really means.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 02:43 PM)
Well, of course they would say that, they are trying to defend themselves. Hard to say if its true or not.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but, didn't the note that was published look like a crumpled up, hand written thing? Why on earth would the Obama campaign give them "a copy" that was hand scribbled and crumpled up?

I don't buy this.

Truthfully, me either. I think something stinks, like the whole thing... but again, IF Obama did this with an intent, it's bad... very bad, IMO, and shows a lot of character. Honestly, I refuse to believe it.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 01:44 PM)
Sure it is, because he then CALCULATED what this would mean to people. That's a mockery of God and religion.

But again, that's a BIG *IF* he allowed it to become public - because remember what you're dealing with when you're talking about the wall and what it really means.

If that was Obama's plan, I would agree. But just look at the article they published -- "Obama gave it to everyone and told the press we could print it! And if you don't believe that, we can take it anyway because he's not Jewish."

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)
If that was Obama's plan, I would agree. But just look at the article they published -- "Obama gave it to everyone and told the press we could print it! And if you don't believe that, we can take it anyway because he's not Jewish."

Yea, and I think because of just the way you put it, it's a load of crap... so that's why I'm carefully stating that when I say *IF*...

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 03:29 PM)
Yea, and I think because of just the way you put it, it's a load of crap... so that's why I'm carefully stating that when I say *IF*...

I believe they're saying this now because basically the theft of the prayer and the publishing of it are both against Israeli law possibly. The only loophole is that because Obama is not Jewish, it may be legal.

So the dumb question, if the Obama campaign was indeed approving the prayer for publication, wouldn't have some other news outlet, including the US Press Corps that was following Obama around would have gotten wind of it and printed the prayer before the Israeli network did? This is the kind of story that any American news net would eat up about either of the candidates.