7 Sox players in the top 64 MLB hitters

Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 03:38 PM)
in GIDP. No other team is even frickin close to 7 players of the top 64, obviously

I can't recall how many times this season I've said "please strike out so you don't GIDP"

unf***ingreal

Yeah they won today... so let's not worry about it.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 04:31 PM)
why didn't you see me first?

Sincerely,

The Catch All Thread

Dear Catch All Thread,

Please accept my humblest apology. I forgot that in order to be able to put up new threads, I needed to first sift through 66 pages of posts completely unrelated to each other. I will make sure I read the entire thread each and every day before putting up any new thread in the future.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 03:13 PM)
yep - no point in discussing anything as long as they won today

mods, plz shut the whole board down k thx

Yep, I don't know what i would do if there wasn't something to b**** about a first place team coming off a monster win.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 05:36 PM)
Dear Catch All Thread,

Please accept my humblest apology. I forgot that in order to be able to put up new threads, I needed to first sift through 66 pages of posts completely unrelated to each other. I will make sure I read the entire thread each and every day before putting up any new thread in the future.

:lolhitting touche

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 03:38 PM)
in GIDP. No other team is even frickin close to 7 players of the top 64, obviously

I can't recall how many times this season I've said "please strike out so you don't GIDP"

unf***ingreal

salute the health of the team; I'm sure if the Sox were as unhealthy as every other team in the majors, they wouldn't have 7 guys in the top 64. Where are they in GIDPs for the entire team as opposed to the rest of the league? I'm sure it's high but I bet it doesn't lead the league. Without looking, I'd say anywhere from 4th-6th sounds right.

7 in the top 64 but none in the top 7. Of course that's only due to PK being out. In 73 games he has 10 gidp's while CQ, leading the team with 12 gidp's, has played in 96 games.

The Sox are 4th in baseball in GIDP. 3rd in the league behind Toronto and Boston.

No offense to any individual person, but this whole "let's not bring up anything negative because we're in first place" response to even the slightest flaw in this team someone brings up is getting pretty obnoxious. It's almost as bad as the hypersensitive negative responses to everything in the first place.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 08:33 AM)
No offense to any individual person, but this whole "let's not bring up anything negative because we're in first place" response to even the slightest flaw in this team someone brings up is getting pretty obnoxious. It's almost as bad as the hypersensitive negative responses to everything in the first place.

What's obnoxious is every time a guy goes into a slump, he's toast. Every time the Sox lose a game the season is over. Just look at the posts in the gamethread yesterday. Read Mike Downey's article about all the White Sox sucking. He did a good job listing all the complaints White Sox fans have made. Listen to Paul Konerko get booed by classless, clueless White Sox "fans". I've never seen a team in first place, playing way beyond any reasonable expectations get more s*** from their "fans" than this one. So 7 guys are in the top 64 of GIDP. Why does that warrant an "unf***ingbeleivable"? Its fine to b**** about things, I have done it plenty, at least have something to complain about. Should we complain Quentin added to his GIDP total yesterday?

Edited by Dick Allen

We are also 2nd to last in the AL in steals. All that means is that we are a slow team.

To note, we are 4th in the MLB in OPS, and 2nd in ERA. Boston is the only other team in the top 5 in both of those categories.

How many GIDP has our opponents hit into?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 10:45 AM)
What's obnoxious is every time a guy goes into a slump, he's toast. Every time the Sox lose a game the season is over. Just look at the posts in the gamethread yesterday. Read Mike Downey's article about all the White Sox sucking. He did a good job listing all the complaints White Sox fans have made. Listen to Paul Konerko get booed by classless, clueless White Sox "fans". I've never seen a team in first place, playing way beyond any reasonable expectations get more s*** from their "fans" than this one. So 7 guys are in the top 64 of GIDP. Why does that warrant an "unf***ingbeleivable"? Its fine to b**** about things, I have done it plenty, at least have something to complain about. Should we complain Quentin added to his GIDP total yesterday?

I agree with all the above (I recall a rant from a poster I won't name about how Dye is done earlier in the year). But I see nothing wrong with talking about how awful our defense has been lately, the bullpen's recent collapses, the team consistently getting owned by soft-tossing lefties, etc. Whenever somebody does that there are 2-3 snarky "we're in first place, kwitcherbichin" posts.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)
I agree with all the above (I recall a rant from a poster I won't name about how Dye is done earlier in the year). But I see nothing wrong with talking about how awful our defense has been lately, the bullpen's recent collapses, the team consistently getting owned by soft-tossing lefties, etc. Whenever somebody does that there are 2-3 snarky "we're in first place, kwitcherbichin" posts.

Its more about looking back on this season. Even if we don't make the playoffs, I would rather enjoy being in first place for months rather than b****ing about every single thing wrong with the team. How people can complain about this team after what happend last year is beyond me.

This is a meaningless stat, Team OPS+ is 107 and OPS+ is 117 with RISP. Would I like to get improve the offense? Sure, but it's a good offense, everyone knows it's a homer happy, mediocre OBP, mediocre AVG and SLOW AS BALLS offense. It all adds up to above average, with coupled with the so far good pitching, has this team 15 games over .500 and with a good shot to make the playoffs.

This thread is OVAH.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 08:33 AM)

It's not hypersensitive. It's simply pointing out how how silly the complaint is and the failure to put the stat into any kind of perspective or context. Do you know who would love to ground into an ass-ton of double plays as long as the team was still #4 in the league in scoring runs?? 10 of the 14 teams in the AL. So a more sensible post than, "Nightmare!!! We ground into a lot of double plays!!!!", would be, "Despite grounding into a relatively high number of double plays, the offense is extremely good, ranking 4th in the AL in runs scored. Why did I bother posting this."

Legitimate complaints for baseball fans to make:

"We've only scored 395 runs this season." - Seattletalk

"Our team OPS is .699."- KCRoyals Fan Gang

"We've only hit 69 home runs this season, and this hot streak can't continue." - Twins Brigade

"Out of a desperate need to complain about stuff no matter what, Soxtalk poster brings up GIDP stat while failing to put it into the broader context of the success of the offense this season." - Soxtalk

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 03:23 AM)
It's not hypersensitive. It's simply pointing out how how silly the complaint is and the failure to put the stat into any kind of perspective or context. Do you know who would love to ground into an ass-ton of double plays as long as the team was still #4 in the league in scoring runs?? 10 of the 14 teams in the AL. So a more sensible post than, "Nightmare!!! We ground into a lot of double plays!!!!", would be, "Despite grounding into a relatively high number of double plays, the offense is extremely good, ranking 4th in the AL in runs scored. Why did I bother posting this."

Legitimate complaints for baseball fans to make:

"We've only scored 395 runs this season." - Seattletalk

"Our team OPS is .699."- KCRoyals Fan Gang

"We've only hit 69 home runs this season, and this hot streak can't continue." - Twins Brigade

"Out of a desperate need to complain about stuff no matter what, Soxtalk poster brings up GIDP stat while failing to put it into the broader context of the success of the offense this season." - Soxtalk

If that's what was being said in response, then fine. But it isn't. See post #2 and post #9 in this thread for some typical responses (I'm not meaning to call out the posters, so I'm not quoting them). "We won." or "We're in first place, why are you finding things to complain about?" or some variation thereof. That's a really, really weak response to somebody pointing out a potential flaw. If someone brings up a legit reason that the flaw is a non-issue, they should say so instead of just going with the lazy responses.

By the way, "hypersensitive" was aimed at the posters who jump all over a player for striking out twice in a game or giving up a run in a relief appearance.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 04:39 PM)
If that's what was being said in response, then fine. But it isn't. See post #2 and post #9 in this thread for some typical responses (I'm not meaning to call out the posters, so I'm not quoting them). "We won." or "We're in first place, why are you finding things to complain about?" or some variation thereof. That's a really, really weak response to somebody pointing out a potential flaw. If someone brings up a legit reason that the flaw is a non-issue, they should say so instead of just going with the lazy responses.

By the way, "hypersensitive" was aimed at the posters who jump all over a player for striking out twice in a game or giving up a run in a relief appearance.

So if we started posting after every win that "This team will win the world series 100%" there wouldn't be any argument then right?

The legit response is that despite hitting into 10000000 dp's, we're still in first place and are tops in other offensive categories. Honestly, did anyone expect this team to NOT hit into a million dp's? Is this somehow surprising?

I have no problem with complaining, but the b****ing about things that should have been obvious before the season even started and b****ing that this.team.is.dead after every damn loss is getting stupid. I feel most people are complaining due to fear of not winning this division. That way, if we do manage to blow it, you can say "see I knew all along this team blew ass." Enjoy your team being in first place for the majority of the season or just stop watching since it appears to be too stressful for most people.

Carlos Quentin, by my estimation is the MVP of the AL, and is leading the team in GIDP. So what does that say about GIDP as a stat?

To me it says its fairly unimportant and hardly (actually inversely) related to success at the plate.

I am kidding about the inversely part but the stats don't lie, right?

Edited by Maxwell

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 06:45 PM)
So if we started posting after every win that "This team will win the world series 100%" there wouldn't be any argument then right?

The legit response is that despite hitting into 10000000 dp's, we're still in first place and are tops in other offensive categories. Honestly, did anyone expect this team to NOT hit into a million dp's? Is this somehow surprising?

I have no problem with complaining, but the b****ing about things that should have been obvious before the season even started and b****ing that this.team.is.dead after every damn loss is getting stupid. I feel most people are complaining due to fear of not winning this division. That way, if we do manage to blow it, you can say "see I knew all along this team blew ass." Enjoy your team being in first place for the majority of the season or just stop watching since it appears to be too stressful for most people.

I don't get what your argument is supposed to be here. What are you telling me? It looks like you're trying to give me more counterpoints but they're not going against anything I said.

Edited by lostfan