2009 Free Agent Class

Kalapse

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 09:38 AM)
Apparently Rocco Baldelli is going to be a FA after this season because he had his options declined (this according to MLBtraderumors). He would be an interesting buy low candidate with his injury issues and health concerns. If healthy, he is the perfect player to balance our offense. He is a terrific defensive playe with great speed to be a solid leadoff hitter or an very good 7 or 8 hitter. At 26 years old, if you could sign him to an incentive-laden deal of maybe 2 years guarenteed for $12 million and with enough at-bats it could be a three or four year deal worth much more. If you had a healthy Baldelli with our core of Q, Alexei and then soon Beckham (hopefully) that is a pretty nice core for awhile. Just a thought with Baldelli as he could be a terrific asset.

EDIT: I think 2-years, $12 million might be a little too much with his issues, but you get the idea.

Where would he play? Unless you cut/trade Konerko and move Swish to 1st, it looks like a pretty crowded outfield already.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)
Where would he play? Unless you cut/trade Konerko and move Swish to 1st, it looks like a pretty crowded outfield already.

Well KG will be gone, Wise could be gone, Anderson could be gone. The latter the least likely. I am not 100% convinced that both Konerko and Swish are back next year. Realistically, our lineup cannot be the same next year because per usual we are too home run happy and on the road, we stink offensively a lot. You need to upgrade the defense in CF as good as Swisher has done considering his limited range and so-so arm. He also provides a top of the order presence with his speed and allows the Sox more room to manufacture runs versus good pitchers and on the road. I think Swisher has been solid lately, which is good, but you might look to trade him because you could potentially get some value for his, especially if he ends up at 25 HRs and 80 RBIs. Maybe you trade Swisher and a minor leaguer for a third baseman or another starting pitcher. Konerko is staying because you aren't moving him and his contract, but Baldelli would fit really well in CF with Dye's limited range. With Crede + Cabrera + Swisher (in my proposed world) that clears about $19 million dollars. With that money, you could add both Casey Blake and Orladno Hudson, then add Baldelli with extra money the Sox receive this year from the team's success. You then have a lineup of:

CF-Baldelli

2b-Hudson

LF-Quentin

RF-Dye

DH-Thome

1b-Konerko

C-AJ

SS-Ramirez (assuming the Sox think he could handle SS, which I am not so sure of and he has looked spendid at second, so why move him)

3b-Blake (2-year deal till Beckham is ready, I think he could move to third eventually like Longoria has)

Very balanced lineup with speed on the top that rivals the Pods/Iguchi in 2005, but these guys are better hitters overall. then you got 4 power hitters in the middle. Then 3 contact guys who have pop. More realistically though, Uribe will be a one year stop gap at SS till Beckham is ready, we sign someone for 3rd and we have Swish in CF. But I think we improve offensively and defensively in this manner.

So...the key flaw there is that you're assuming the Baldelli of 2009 will be the Baldelli of before all those injuries, that he won't have lost any range or speed at all. I think that's a key flaw. If he's lost a couple steps from where he was or the injuries have hurt him otherwise, then you've got a potentially gigantic CF and leadoff hole.

I don't think the Sox have any surplus of anything to trade anywhere in their organization.

I would like to see them try to sign Hudson. Keep Ramirez at SS, and Uribe and Getz as utility. The problem is 3B. Fields defense and offense are questionable at this point. I can't really see re-signing Crede.

The OF is fine as is. Q, Dye, Anderson, Wise and Swisher OF/1B. Konerko and Thome will return.

Needs will be 2B, 3B and 5th starter. That's not bad. They could address all 3 thru free agency. If they do, they could begin to build themselves some nice depth thruout the minor leagues.

And, for once, the bullpen will not need re-tooling !!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 04:56 PM)
Anyway we can trade for Ronnie Belliard at 2B next year? Last 2 years combined he's a .280 hitter with a .345 OBP (about).

Not sure on his D as I'd rather not watch Nationals baseball.

and see him stick out his tongue every time he comes up to the plate? NO

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of signing Baldelli, and having him platoon between CF and DH, kinda like Griff is now. However, if Griff accepts arb (which I wouldn't mind), signing Baldelli wouldn't work unless we traded Swish. But then we would have two glass-men platooning in CF, and that might not be the best idea. I'd also like to see us trade for Figgins (put him at 3B, even though he would be a bit of a defensive liability there), and bring in Hudson to play 2B (3 year deal with option for a 4th).

1. Figgins, 3B

2. Hudson, 2B

3. Quentin, LF

4. Dye, RF

5. Thome, DH

6. Konerko, 1B

7. Ramirez, SS

8. Pierzynski, C

9. Swisher/Baldelli, CF

Damn, that'd be a sexy lineup.

The 5th spot in the rotation could either be filled within the system or via trade. I don't see us signing any FA's though.

Edited by BearSox

• 3 weeks later...

How do you think we get Figgins? I mean I would LOVE it, but I don't see it.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Sep 7, 2008 -> 11:40 PM)
I like the idea of signing Baldelli, and having him platoon between CF and DH, kinda like Griff is now. However, if Griff accepts arb (which I wouldn't mind), signing Baldelli wouldn't work unless we traded Swish. But then we would have two glass-men platooning in CF, and that might not be the best idea. I'd also like to see us trade for Figgins (put him at 3B, even though he would be a bit of a defensive liability there), and bring in Hudson to play 2B (3 year deal with option for a 4th).

1. Figgins, 3B

2. Hudson, 2B

3. Quentin, LF

4. Dye, RF

5. Thome, DH

6. Konerko, 1B

7. Ramirez, SS

8. Pierzynski, C

9. Swisher/Baldelli, CF

Damn, that'd be a sexy lineup.

The 5th spot in the rotation could either be filled within the system or via trade. I don't see us signing any FA's though.

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 12:43 PM)
I don't think the Sox have any surplus of anything to trade anywhere in their organization.

I would like to see them try to sign Hudson. Keep Ramirez at SS, and Uribe and Getz as utility. The problem is 3B. Fields defense and offense are questionable at this point. I can't really see re-signing Crede.

The OF is fine as is. Q, Dye, Anderson, Wise and Swisher OF/1B. Konerko and Thome will return.

Needs will be 2B, 3B and 5th starter. That's not bad. They could address all 3 thru free agency. If they do, they could begin to build themselves some nice depth thruout the minor leagues.

And, for once, the bullpen will not need re-tooling !!!!!!!!!

Actually I would like the Sox to sign Scott Downs to replace Boone.

• 1 month later...

He also reported an aggressive market for another client, shortstop Rafael Furcal.

“There’s been about five or six serious teams already on him today, and I expect that to even go up because there’s been at least eight or more that have been in contact,” Kinzer said.

Commissioner Bud Selig repeatedly cautions teams to be careful in their spending, but the economic downtown doesn’t appear likely to depress salaries for top players.

“We think that the time of free agents will still be recession-proof,” said Lew Wolff, owner of the low-revenue Oakland Athletics. “We think the second tier will present some opportunities.”

from yahoosports.com

In line with totally revamping their starting rotation, Jerry Crasnick at ESPN.com reports that the New York Yankees have sold RHP Darrell Rasner to the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles of the Pacific League for $1 million. Rasner posted a 5.40 ERA in 24 games with the Yankees in 2008.

The cash from this deal would provide 0.7% of the money needed for the contract that has been offered to CC Sabathia.

Edited by caulfield12

Affeldt signed at $8 million over 2 years with the SF Giants.

Furcal has a $39 million, 3 year on the table from at least one club...Giants also giving strong consideration to Cabrera and Renteria, but wouldn't lose as much in terms of draft picks/Type A compensation because of Furcal's injuries over the last couple of seasons.

I doubt KW is serious about spending that kind of money on Furcal at his age when he has Ramirez signed so afforably.

GM Mark Shapiro says he hasn't made any offers to free agents yet. It sounds like payroll might land in the $75-80MM range, leaving the team with roughly $15MM to spend.

Shapiro admitted that he would explore a trade for Jose Valverde if the Astros closer is truly available. Astros GM Ed Wade said yesterday, "I would love to see Jose here for a long time." The 'Stros have him under team control for one more year, and there's been speculation he could be dealt to save money.

The Indians may attempt to acquire Huston Street if the Rockies' asking price comes down.

The Indians are interested in Orlando Hudson, who reportedly seeks a five-year, $50MM deal.

from mlbtraderumors

Casey Blake wants a 3 year deal, I think that eliminates him from White Sox consideration officially, and the signing of Viciedo as well.

Very interesting trip down memory lane with listing of minor league free agents...

http://dcsportsplus.blogspot.com/2008/11/w...nor-league.html

MLB.com's Chris Haft talked to Edgar Renteria's agent Jeff Lane, who said he's actively negotiating with the Giants. At least six teams are interested in Renteria, but his future is tied to Rafael Furcal. Furcal is expected to sign first, and the shortstops share many of the same suitors.

The Giants also have serious interest in Orlando Hudson. It'd be surprising to see them sign two middle infielders though.

So far, looks like Cabrera will end up in the NL West, but after we make the decision to offer arbitration...Minnesota has also been mentioned. Wouldn't like to see Dontrelle Willis go to the Red Sox for J. Lugo...he gets straightened out, their rotation is unstoppable. Speaking of Red Sox, wonder if Curt Schilling can be added to our "reclamation" projects list for 5th starter, along with Garcia, Colon, Pedro Martinez and Mark Hampton?

Ken Rosenthal

Mulder: Coming along

Free-agent left-hander Mark Mulder, rehabilitating from a pair of shoulder operations, is making significant progress in his recovery, according to his agent, Gregg Clifton. After the Cardinals bought Mulder out for $1.5 million, he began working with two new personal trainers, one of whom is Paul Hospenthal, a longtime acquaintance of Mulder's who is the husband of race-car driver Danica Patrick.

Clifton said that Mulder's shoulder is fine, but that he is just now starting to build "functional strength" — in other words, the muscles that will enable him to pitch successfully again.

Mulder, 31, will not begin throwing until December, but could prove a reasonable one-year risk for a team in need of starting pitching.

Around the horn

Here are four possible trading partners for the Red Sox if they sign free-agent first baseman Mark Teixeira and need to move third baseman Mike Lowell: The Dodgers, who could lose Casey Blake in free agency; the White Sox, who currently project the unproven Josh Fields at third base; the Tigers, who could move Brandon Inge back to catcher; and the Brewers, who would need to trade third baseman Bill Hall. The Red Sox would need to be creative. Lowell, who turns 35 on Feb. 24, is expected to make a full recovery from hip surgery, but is owed $25 million over the next two seasons ...

Free-agent outfielder Luis Gonzalez plans to play again next season, according to Clifton, his agent. When contacted Friday, Clifton said, "He's in the gym right now." Gonzalez, 41, is four doubles shy of 600, and needs only 28 to tie Hank Aaron for 10th on the all-time list; he is five away from Barry Bonds, seven away from Cal Ripken. Gonzalez hit 26 doubles in 341 at-bats for the Marlins last season. ...

Would you trade for a pitcher who has averaged 13 wins, 192 innings and a 4.59 ERA in the National League over the past five seasons? Say hello to Cubs right-hander Jason Marquis, who will be entering the final year of his contract, valued at $9.875 million. That number likely would scare off many clubs, but Marquis would become more attractive if the Cubs included enough cash to bring another team's obligation down to say, $7 million. ...

Edited by caulfield12

Nothing new or interesting to report today so far...just that the "mystery" team involved with Furcal might very well be either the Indians or Twins, but there's no confirmation of that, and I think both teams will end up being outbid in the end by the Giants, Dodgers or A's, not to mention the Mets or the Cardinals.