2009 Free Agent Class

Kalapse

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...ml?eref=writers

Top 20 remaining FA's, I can't see how Cabrera, Crede and Garland are ranked ahead of Manny (maybe best values?)...but I really wish that we had Tim Redding back, lol. He's be our 4th starter at this point in the proceedings. At the time we had him, he was totally superfluous.

A mention of Freddy Garcia, but nothing about the likes of Mulder, Pedro Martinez, Bartolo Colon, Glavine, Smoltz as some of the other bargain basement pitchers that might be available. Pettitte might be the best fit for us, but I don't see him coming to Chicago at all. Not to mention the four lefties issue...soon to be five if they trade Floyd and Marquez is a bust.

Edited by caulfield12

Ramon Vazquez signed with the Pirates

Nick Punto re-signed with the Twins

Jason Michaels signed with the Astros

Felipe Lopez (typo in his name) signed with Arizona

Aaron Boone signed with the Astros

Adam Everett signed with the Tigers

Trot Nixon signed a minor league deal with the Brewers

Kevin Mench signed with the Hanshin Tigers in Japan

Brad Penny signed with the Red Sox

Jamie Moyer re-signed with the Phillies

Mark Hendrickson signed with the O's

Darren Oliver accepted arbitration from the Angels

Jorge Julio signed a 1 year deal with the Brewers

Dan Wheeler signed a three year extension earlier in the year with the Rays

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 02:33 PM)
He's free to roid back up now. Expect a big year.

just free to get rid of that god forsaken mustache. I, for one, hope he grows the beard and hair back. I have never been a Giambi fan, but his hair is awesome.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 03:04 PM)

With our luck, he'll have a Cal Eldred-ish (circa 2000 first half) breakout season.

I don't know where the Indians are getting the money, but they've added DeRosa, Wood and now Pavano...and look like they could be entering 2009 as the favorites (along with Minnesota) to win the division.

Of course, Wood and Pavano could also break down in the first week of April in the cold weather. so I suppose anything's possible.

When Westbrook comes back, they'll have 9 starters in that organization (Lee, Carmona, Westbrook, Reyes, Lewis, Jackson, Sowers, Laffey, Pavano). It's definitely an area of concern going forward for the Sox. Only the back end of the Tigers' rotation is in as much disarray as the White Sox 4/5 spots currently of the five AL Central teams.

Edited by caulfield12

Mark Kotsay, John Smoltz, Rocco Baldelli, and Takashi Saito signed with the Red Sox

Shawn Estes signed a minor league deal with the Dodgers

Willie Bloomquist signed a two year deal with the Royals :lol:

Vance Wilson signed a minor league deal with the Royals

Chris Gomez signed a minor league deal with the Orioles

Derek Lowe, $60 million for four years with the Braves, who've also added the Japanese veteran and Vazquez this off-season.

So much for Lowe getting "ONLY" $42 million for 3 years.

But somehow Dunn thinks he's getting $56 million for 4 years....with only 2-3 even interested in him a this point? Good lucky there, buddy.

Kawakami for $24 million to the Braves.

Craig Monroe signs a minor league deal. (Remember when he destroyed the White Sox through the '06 season?)

Guillermo Mota returns to the Dodgers.

Alex Cora to the Mets

Prior and Chris Burke to the Padres (there was a day that would have raised some excitement in baseball circles...even two years ago)

DAMMIT KW!!!! How could you let him get away!?! Russ Ortiz to the Astros.

Edited by caulfield12

Glendon Rusch signed a minor league deal with the Rockies

Chris Gomez (SS) signed a minor league deal with the O's

Tubby Hall signed a minor league deal with the Astros

Jerry Hairston Jr. re-signed with the Reds

Marcus Giles signed a minor league deal with the Phillies

Chris Woodward signed a minor league deal with the Mariners

Gabe Kapler signed with the Rays

Lowe needs his name scratched out

Trevor Hoffman signed with the Brewers

"We'd have to sit down and have a discussion," said Wade. "Where we are right now, our payroll is $107 million. Last year, we finished around $98 million. We're really up against our number at 107, and it's a number, quite frankly, that the revenues don't support."

Wade followed with a bit of a disclaimer: "Circumstances can change. We can see if we can create more flexibility to make it happen, but right now, the feeling is the group we've committed to at this point is the group we'll go with, with 99 percent certainty."

Sounds like the GM's and owners all have the same PR agent/soundtrack this offseason.

Rumors of Orlando Cabrera to the Marlins, probably to play 2B (yeah, that Ramirez kid can play a little SS). I guess that would move our pick down...although the Marlins are pretty close to the middle of the pack, I guess we'd get first round supplemental and then 2nd round.

Chone Figgins agrees to arbitration on a one year deal for $5.7 million with the Angels. Still not seeing a Dye trade there, but potentially Paulie if they feel Morales isn't the answer.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 12:17 AM)
"We'd have to sit down and have a discussion," said Wade. "Where we are right now, our payroll is $107 million. Last year, we finished around $98 million. We're really up against our number at 107, and it's a number, quite frankly, that the revenues don't support."

Wade followed with a bit of a disclaimer: "Circumstances can change. We can see if we can create more flexibility to make it happen, but right now, the feeling is the group we've committed to at this point is the group we'll go with, with 99 percent certainty."

Sounds like the GM's and owners all have the same PR agent/soundtrack this offseason.

Rumors of Orlando Cabrera to the Marlins, probably to play 2B (yeah, that Ramirez kid can play a little SS). I guess that would move our pick down...although the Marlins are pretty close to the middle of the pack, I guess we'd get first round supplemental and then 2nd round.

Chone Figgins agrees to arbitration on a one year deal for $5.7 million with the Angels. Still not seeing a Dye trade there, but potentially Paulie if they feel Morales isn't the answer.

The Marlins have the 18th pick and only the first 16 are protected (the Marlins have a comp pick at #10 (Aaron Crow) so everyone moves back a spot) so the Sox would receive the 18th and 40th picks in the draft if Cabrera signed with the Marlins tomorrow.

Guess I was wrong...should have looked it up.

That makes it very unlikely that he ends up there...Oakland seems like a better fit. With Giambi, Holliday and adding Cabrera, they might actually be able to win the AL West, although I would still pick the Angels going into the season because of their pitching.