Manny Ramirez

iamshack

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 09:09 PM)
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/conte...730ramirez.html

The Palm Beach Post has a tentative deal in place that looks like this:

The Marlins would get Ramirez for Hermida, right-hander Ryan Tucker and two other prospects, with those four players being flipped to Pittsburgh for outfielder Jason Bay and left-hander John Grabow.

The Red Sox would send the Marlins enough cash to cover the remainder of Ramirez's contract, as well as a prospect to be announced.

Pittsburgh would get Hermida and three prospects - two from Florida and one from Boston. One of the Marlins' prospects is believed to be Tucker

Then from Rotoworld via SI.com's John Heyman:

If this deal doesn't get done Will Carroll won't be the only one with egg on his face.

I can't see how Boston could do this deal without Pittsburgh. Well I see how they could if you get a new 3rd team involved but getting another 3rd team invovled isn't easy. The REd Sox couldn't possibly deal Manny without getting another bat or impact player in return that could help them this season, right?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11:29am: Will Carroll has an update. The Pirates could back out Bay talks entirely if they don't get what they want. The Red Sox will continue shopping Manny regardless, with the Dodgers and a mystery team in the mix. The Dodgers might be willing to part with Matt Kemp.

QUOTE (ChiSox35 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 09:02 PM)
Just about everything he's done has been good for a laugh and harmless unless you're the Red Sox ticket guy.

I still can't believe that the BoSox are seriously considering trading their best hitter when they're only 3 games out of first and only one game ahead of the Yankees. They've been putting up with his crap for several years, and would've traded/released him over the traveling secretary incident weeks ago if they found his behavior completely unacceptable and wanted to get rid of him on principle. Can't they put up with him for two more months, plus October if they're lucky?

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 12:48 PM)
I still can't believe that the BoSox are seriously considering trading their best hitter when they're only 3 games out of first and only one game ahead of the Yankees. They've been putting up with his crap for several years, and would've traded/released him over the traveling secretary incident weeks ago if they found his behavior completely unacceptable and wanted to get rid of him on principle. Can't they put up with him for two more months, plus October if they're lucky?

They are trying to get Jason Bay as a replacement plus prospects; they'd have Bay and the prospects for a while. They'd also be getting as much value for Ramirez as they could, rather than letting him walk at the end of the year for nothing. It makes sense to me. The Marlins do it because they get half a year of a fantastic hitter in a year when they have a chance at the playoffs, they actually get some fans to show up to some games, and they add a prospect or two as well. The Pirates do it for the prospects.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 12:45 PM)
espn 890 in boston is reporting the red sox have offered manny for griffey. looking for independent confirmation of this but at this point i've only seen it on some other boards.

WTF!?

OMG....MAKE THE TRADE...MAKE IT. I would cry tears of joy for the next hour if the Sox got Manny. Where would he play, f*** if I know, but maybe you can force the BoSox to take Konerko's contract off our hands. Otherwise get ready to see CQ in CF, LOL (or you'd have to move Dye to 1B).

If the Griffey for Manny offer is true you have to make it right this very f***ing moment. Send Manny off to Florida for Hermida and a prospect or two.

I'll f***ing suck Kenny's dick if we can get Hermida and then some for Masset and Richar.

Edit: There's another thread about McPherson. Let's turn Masset and Richar into Hermida and McPherson.

Do it Kenny. That's like nine roundhouse kicks and a armbar all rolled into one.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 02:00 PM)
If the Griffey for Manny offer is true you have to make it right this very f***ing moment. Send Manny off to Florida for Hermida and a prospect or two.

I'll f***ing suck Kenny's dick if we can get Hermida and then some for Masset and Richar.

I hope you're female.

BTW, lamest 10,000th post ever.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:06 AM)
They are trying to get Jason Bay as a replacement plus prospects; they'd have Bay and the prospects for a while. They'd also be getting as much value for Ramirez as they could, rather than letting him walk at the end of the year for nothing. It makes sense to me. The Marlins do it because they get half a year of a fantastic hitter in a year when they have a chance at the playoffs, they actually get some fans to show up to some games, and they add a prospect or two as well. The Pirates do it for the prospects.

Since they want Bay, it's not surprising that the talks have gone nowhere.

I didn't realize that Manny's contract was up this year. But if that's the case, they'll get draft picks for him, no?

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 11:07 AM)
Since they want Bay, it's not surprising that the talks have gone nowhere.

I didn't realize that Manny's contract was up this year. But if that's the case, they'll get draft picks for him, no?

If Manny stays with the Red Sox, I think they're still likely to pick up his option.

The Red Sox traded Manny Ramirez to the Dodgers late Thursday afternoon, SI.com has learned. Jason Bay is headed to Boston as part of the deal, SI.com has learned.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/base...ex.html?eref=T1

From Rotoworld:

The Dodgers have acquired Manny Ramirez from the Red Sox, SI.com's Jon Heyman and NESN reports.

NESN believes the Red Sox are getting Jason Bay in a three-team deal.

Edited by RME JICO