Official 2008-2009 College Football Thread

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 09:03 PM)
I can tell you honestly that Tech didn't give a s*** about the bowl. Very similar to Cal a few years ago getting the shaft after being ranked #4 in the BCS, and getting dominated by Texas Tech in their 04 bowl. As for the Texas Tech players losing their cool, it was two hotheads who have done that crap before and Hamby had an assault charge in the offseason. He's a dips***.

Ole Miss has a damn good team, but after the way I have seen their fans act, I have to say that I would root for the Mississippi river against their fans.

I was wondering what your take on this would be...

I laughed at your last comment. Just out of curiosity, did you go to the game? I almost did... Anyway, what did their fans do to make you so upset?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 09:23 PM)
I was wondering what your take on this would be...

I laughed at your last comment. Just out of curiosity, did you go to the game? I almost did... Anyway, what did their fans do to make you so upset?

I didn't get to go to the game because of work, and my fiancee was pissed at me for it, so I get to feel bad twice as much now :-).

As for the Ole Miss fans. During the later parts of the game the Ole Miss fans were tossing "spit" cups into the Tech stands. Ole Miss had several confederate flags flying in the stands, Ole Miss had guys standing in the walkways trying to pick fights after the game had ended. The Ole Miss band played through Texas Tech's school song. Ole Miss fans stood up and cheered and did their ridiculous hotty toddy chant when McKinner Dixon was down on the grass hurt. Now the Ole Miss fans are in droves at the Tech site just talking s*** over and over and over for 4 hours now.

I have never seen anything like this. Stereotypes are usually bad, but in this case...

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 09:35 PM)
I didn't get to go to the game because of work, and my fiancee was pissed at me for it, so I get to feel bad twice as much now :-).

As for the Ole Miss fans. During the later parts of the game the Ole Miss fans were tossing "spit" cups into the Tech stands. Ole Miss had several confederate flags flying in the stands, Ole Miss had guys standing in the walkways trying to pick fights after the game had ended. The Ole Miss band played through Texas Tech's school song. Ole Miss fans stood up and cheered and did their ridiculous hotty toddy chant when McKinner Dixon was down on the grass hurt. Now the Ole Miss fans are in droves at the Tech site just talking s*** over and over and over for 4 hours now.

I have never seen anything like this. Stereotypes are usually bad, but in this case...

Yeah, that's bad. Unfortunately, the stereotypes seem to be standing true in this case. Singing "Hotty Toddy" when another player was hurt is inexcusable for sure... But, you know, every school has fans like that. I guarantee a majority would feel the same way you do.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 10:16 PM)
These Big 12 refs are ridiculous. How is that kick-catch interference when the guy caught the ball?

They have been terrible all game. Utah has simply played through bad calls - bad spots, penalties, etc. - and are still coming out on top so far. I'm an SEC guy and I'll admit, Alabama has gotten a lot of calls and still can't capitalize. 2 missed FG's doesn't help. I am really surprised by Utah, though. They're playing a ton better than I expected.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 10:18 PM)
Yeah, that's bad. Unfortunately, the stereotypes seem to be standing true in this case. Singing "Hotty Toddy" when another player was hurt is inexcusable for sure... But, you know, every school has fans like that. I guarantee a majority would feel the same way you do.

I understand, and realize that this is their first bowl game in 4 years, so they should be excited. But they still have dozens on the Texas Tech boards talking s*** even right now, 5 hours after the game.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 09:35 PM)

Yeah, but Ole Miss chicks are smokin HOT!

And dasox, I know you have to play the whole game, but let's not forget that Bama was up on Ole Miss 24-3 at halftime and cruised the rest of the way. They almost cruised too much, but they clearly handled Ole Miss before they took their foot off the gas.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 10:24 PM)
Utah deserves a share of the national title if OU/Florida is a close game. Utah beat Oregon State, BYU, top ten TCU, and top 5 Alabama.

The only team that can beat USC is USC. Honestly, everytime they play a good team they kick their ass. When they lose, it's because of a lack of focus. USC should hold some of the title.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 10:12 PM)
Wow, I either totally overestimated Bama's offense or underestimated Utah's defense.

Perhaps a little of both. But there was NO doubt that Andre Smith not playing had a major impact on Alabama tonight, especially their pass protection. When Mike Johnson, his replacement went down, it got really ugly. Smith was the anchor of that line. He never needed help to double team someone and dominated run blocking from the LT position. Having an anchor takes so much pressure off the rest of the line. With him gone, the LG moved to LT and a new LG was inserted. Then when they lost Johnson, it got way out of hand.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 11:06 PM)
The only team that can beat USC is USC. Honestly, everytime they play a good team they kick their ass. When they lose, it's because of a lack of focus. USC should hold some of the title.

USC should not even talk title until they stop pissing themselves once a year. One time, I'd just like to see Pete Carroll or a USC player when interviewed after a dominating Rose Bowl win, say "We feel like we're one of the best teams in the country. If only we'd have beaten __________, we would have had a shot to prove it."

Of course, that will never happen.

That said, in a one game deal, I want NO part of USC. Problem is, there is more than one game in a season.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 11:06 PM)

USC shouldn't of lost to Oregon St. if they wanna be involved in talks of sharing the title.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 11:21 PM)
Yet Florida loses to Ole f***ing Miss and gets in...AT FLORIDA?! Yeah, but that's okay, right? :lolhitting

Yes it is.

The reason is the strength (at least perceived) of their conference. Let's not start trying to compare the top to bottom strength of the SEC and the Pac 10. USC lost in front of a national TV audience to a team that Penn State absolutely destroyed. That certainly didn't help their cause.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 10:16 PM)
These Big 12 refs are ridiculous. How is that kick-catch interference when the guy caught the ball?

No one ever accused Big 12 refs of being good. "f***ing horrible" would be a generous descriptor.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 12:11 AM)
I hope the media makes a big deal of the Utah situation so it could create more pressure to get rid of the BCS.

The BCS isn't going anywhere unless you kill off some of the conference commissioners.

As for tonight, Andre Smith being out absolutely killed Alabama, much more than I thought it would. But Utah was just WAY WAY better than Alabama tonight, and they exposed Alabama the way that SEC teams usually expose their opponents, with defensive line speed. Andre Smith in my opinion should be the #1 pick in the NFL Draft, but Utah had 8 sacks and only allowed about 200 yards of total offense, while throwing for about 350 yards and 31 points. I think Utah is just better than Alabama, even had Andre Smith played. The final score tonight really was deceptively close, plus both of Alabama's touchdowns were set up by stupid ass Utah mistakes.

The SEC has been very strange this bowl season. I still think the league was definitely way down by it's lofty standards, but I am baffled by Alabama losing (let alone being dominated) and just as baffled by LSU and Ole Miss winning (and both winning in dominating fashion to boot).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 11:21 PM)
Yet Florida loses to Ole f***ing Miss and gets in...AT FLORIDA?! Yeah, but that's okay, right? :lolhitting

When Florida appears to have a tougher schedule, yes.

When that same Ole Miss team waxes Texas Tech like they did today, yes.

You're a USC fan, of course you're gonna think your squad deserves a piece of the pie. Quite frankly they'd have to get in line behind Texas and/or Utah.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 01:28 AM)
The BCS isn't going anywhere unless you kill off some of the conference commissioners.

As for tonight, Andre Smith being out absolutely killed Alabama, much more than I thought it would. But Utah was just WAY WAY better than Alabama tonight, and they exposed Alabama the way that SEC teams usually expose their opponents, with defensive line speed. Andre Smith in my opinion should be the #1 pick in the NFL Draft, but Utah had 8 sacks and only allowed about 200 yards of total offense, while throwing for about 350 yards and 31 points. I think Utah is just better than Alabama, even had Andre Smith played. The final score tonight really was deceptively close, plus both of Alabama's touchdowns were set up by stupid ass Utah mistakes.

The SEC has been very strange this bowl season. I still think the league was definitely way down by it's lofty standards, but I am baffled by Alabama losing (let alone being dominated) and just as baffled by LSU and Ole Miss winning (and both winning in dominating fashion to boot).

Delany, when he wasn't hiding from the PSU embarassment, is and has always been one of the 2-3 biggest reasons the BCS doesn't change to the 8 or 16 team playoff format that works so well for I-AA (I went to grad school at Georgia Southern, a perennial power in the 80's and 90's)...with the higher seeded teams having home or regionally-affiliated games and the final game at a neutral site.

It appears that Smith, Sam Bradford or UGA's Stafford would be the first player drafted by the Lions.

It has been ages since Billy Sims and Barry Sanders, seemingly. The last really good player the Lions had was Herman Moore in his prime.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 12:11 AM)
I hope the media makes a big deal of the Utah situation so it could create more pressure to get rid of the BCS.

What would getting rid of the BCS accomplish? There is not a viable alternative at this point. The only somewhat realistic possiblities are plus ones.

1. Some say just play the bowls and then rank the teams and let #'s 1 and 2 play for the title. That has to be the dumbest idea I have ever heard. What if #1 after the bowls is undefeated and #2 had two losses? Are you really going to tell me #1 is going to have to play one more game and if they stumble against a 2-loss team..... What about the year where the season ends with four or five teams all with one loss? You have the same arguments that go on now? What if by some crazy scenario you have three undefeated teams? Again, just dumb, dumb, dumb.

2. The only realistic possibility is seeding the top four teams and playing a true plus one. Problem with this one is determining the top 4. This year, both USC and Utah would still have been left out.

There is no perfect scenario. The FCS 8-game playoff format has many obstacles. You can't compare the two because there are major differences. TV, neutral sites (bowls), etc make it a totally different landscape than the FCS division. (Although, I'd love to see a USC or a Florida have to come north to Michigan, Ohio or Pennsylvania to play in the winter time).

The biggest obstable right now to any major change is the 12th game that was recently added (no way schools give up the money and give up that game) and TV contracts. The Rose Bowl has a TV deal that still has a few years left on it and does not coincide with the deal for the rest of the BCS bowls (thank god they are no longer on FOX after this year!). Also, the NCAA doesn't have their hand in the BCS. Get rid of it and get the NCAA involved and the money goes there first, then is distributed to the schools. That would take some money away that the big schools are now getting. The big schools aren't about handing away money. For all the dreamers of the 8-game (or ridiculous 16-game) playoff format, there are just too many obstacles which includes too many people/schools with different agendas.

Just sit back and relax and watch great football. That's all that really matters!