Official 2008-2009 College Football Thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 11:03 PM)
He is terrible. Alot ofOSU fans have been calling for his head for a couple of seasons. The defense hasnt quite been the same since Dantonio left.

I think it was decently coached at times though, not any worse than Texas' play calling at times. I think there has been a small decrease in overall team talent for OSU at least, but we have lots of young top tier guys on the way to bring it back to what we think will be a very high level.

Frankly, Texas should have run away with this game if you compared the teams. Big 12 teams have been dissapointing to me, its hard to think that Texas beat Oklahoma who is going to face off with what I think is a very good Fla team for the national championship. OSU def played better this game with Pryor many games older and with half of Beanie, but man USC beat the s*** out of us, they dominated us much more than Texas even looked capable of.

After the Texas loss, OU seperated themselves from the rest of the Big 12. However, losing Demarco Murray is a big loss. Austin Box might be back for OU, which would be huge for their defense.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im a big time big ten fan, and I have defended them for years and used all the excuses in the book...and i still think the big ten gets a worse rap than it deserves....and i know Texas had an arguement to be in the title game, and that OSU could have, and maybe should have won...but im sick of this s***...im sick of defending this crap....I sound like sour grapes, but for christ sake, Delany and alot of other people like me defend this conference and try to quiet the critics. But you know what will quiet them the most? Not f***ing going 1-6 in bowl games. Winning a f***ing BCS game more than once in like 4 years. Beating USC more than once every decade. I still think this conference is better than people give it credit for, but do your own damnselves a favor and prove it for once

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 01:28 AM)
how was that a good game by Pryor? The kid cant pass to save his life. He's got a long way to go.

i thought he played poorly too...i mean, he can scramble, but hes been a much better passer this year than he showed tonight...and hes tall enough to catch a fade...even though he interfered on the TD as well as the 2pt conversion

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 11:20 PM)
im a big time big ten fan, and I have defended them for years and used all the excuses in the book...and i still think the big ten gets a worse rap than it deserves....and i know Texas had an arguement to be in the title game, and that OSU could have, and maybe should have won...but im sick of this s***...im sick of defending this crap....I sound like sour grapes, but for christ sake, Delany and alot of other people like me defend this conference and try to quiet the critics. But you know what will quiet them the most? Not f***ing going 1-6 in bowl games. Winning a f***ing BCS game more than once in like 4 years. Beating USC more than once every decade. I still think this conference is better than people give it credit for, but do your own damnselves a favor and prove it for once

Summed up very nicely.

It's impossible to defend Big 10 football anymore, it is simply an embarassment and that's the end of the story. Ohio State had an absolutely golden opportunity to beat a Texas team who looked completely disinterested (or bad, depending how you look at it) most of the night, and they couldn't seal the deal. At least the Buckeyes didn't embarass themselves like the 5 previous Big 10 BCS losers in succesion (twice being them of course), but they still blew a golden chance to beat a team who was either disinterested, or perhaps in retrospect, overrated.

I will say one other thing, I don't feel good about Oklahoma's chances at all Thursday after watching the Big 12 teams in their bowl games. The SEC had it's issues with Alabama and South Carolina embarassing themselves (although the South Carolina/Iowa game was no surprise), but I think every Big 12 team in a bowl game played below expectations except Kansas, who met theirs, and Nebraska, who won a very close game that was considered a toss up going in. All 3 Big 12 South teams to play have been MAJOR letdowns IMO, even Texas tonight.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 11:31 PM)
i thought he played poorly too...i mean, he can scramble, but hes been a much better passer this year than he showed tonight...and hes tall enough to catch a fade...even though he interfered on the TD as well as the 2pt conversion

Thats just false, there was almost zero contact on the TD and clear defensive interference on the 2 pt conversion as there was contact while the ball was in the air.

And he had a PRETTY good game. His throws were pretty bad, but he made huge plays with his feet. Theres a reason Mack Brown Gushed about him for 3 min in his postgame interview.

And I knew this would happen, a close game or an OSU win and Texas was "disinterested" or "lost focus." Bulls***. Texas hadnt seen a defense like OSU's all season and didnt know what to do with a power running game.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 01:25 PM)
Can you say dumbass? At least when Pete Carroll said the exact same thing it had some validity.

I'd bet everything I own that USC would kill Texas. If they thought OSU's defense was tough, USC's is much better. Texas' defense would be gassed and would be scored on repeatedly.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 02:24 PM)
I watched the spot call again today, that receiver totally fumbled the ball out of bounds behind the marker. How can I see that but guys standing 2 feet away cannot?

Saw that too. The spot was fine (if anything, I think Texas got a bad spot as the ball itself was inside the 30 in my opinion), but it's questionable at best if the receiver held onto the ball. I don't think it's obvious at all the the receiver "totally fumbled the ball out of bounds", but it was the thing that they should have been looking closely at on replay. That's now why Ohio State lost though.

And anybody at Texas trying to woo the pollsters with their comments after last night's game is just an idiot. All Texas did last night is prove they ARE NOT the best team in the country.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Huge Hire by the Jayhawks. They named Billy Miller as Co Def Coordinator. He left his position at Louisville to come home to Kansas.

Miller, originally from Hutchinson, has an impressive resume. He has worked as a defensive coordinator under Nick Saban at Michigan State and Butch Davis at Miami. He worked at Oklahoma State under Jimmy Johnson. He was a linebackers coach and assistant head coach at Florida while Ron Zook was the head coach. Before taking the job at Louisville he was hired by Dirk Koetter in 2005 as the defensive coordinator.

He is also a beast in recruiting the state of Florida, which Kansas has started grabbing kids from.

Mangino gets better and better while staying plumpy and fun.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 10, 2009 -> 05:30 PM)
Huge Hire by the Jayhawks. They named Billy Miller as Co Def Coordinator. He left his position at Louisville to come home to Kansas.

Miller, originally from Hutchinson, has an impressive resume. He has worked as a defensive coordinator under Nick Saban at Michigan State and Butch Davis at Miami. He worked at Oklahoma State under Jimmy Johnson. He was a linebackers coach and assistant head coach at Florida while Ron Zook was the head coach. Before taking the job at Louisville he was hired by Dirk Koetter in 2005 as the defensive coordinator.

He is also a beast in recruiting the state of Florida, which Kansas has started grabbing kids from.

Mangino gets better and better while staying plumpy and fun.

What position did he have at Louisville? He wasn't the DC there.

Yes he was, just not yet, per se

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) -- Louisville defensive coordinator Bill Miller has left the Cardinals to take a co-defensive coordinator position at Kansas.

Miller spent one season with the Wildcats as linebackers coach and was promoted to defensive coordinator last month when Ron English left to become head coach at Eastern Michigan.

Miller, a native of Hutchinson, Kan., says the opportunity to be closer to his family was a major reason behind the decision.

Miller came to Louisville from Western Michigan, where he molded the Broncos into one of the better defenses in the Mid-American Conference. Miller had previously coached at Arizona State, Florida and Miami, among others.

Louisville coach Steve Kragthorpe says he plans to name Miller's replacement next week.

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 10, 2009 -> 05:44 PM)
English was then he took the job elsewhere and Miller was promoted last month. Then he left, tough for Louisville.

http://louisville.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp...1&year=2009

He would have been crazy to stick around Louisville. That coaching staff is in hot, hot water.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jan 10, 2009 -> 05:58 PM)
He would have been crazy to stick around Louisville. That coaching staff is in hot, hot water.

I would hope so, they are doing a awful job down there. John L. Smith and Bobby Petrino both built quite the program down there, and Kragthrope and his staff have pretty much destroyed all of that hard work the last two seasons.

Edited by whitesoxfan101