All-Time Greatest White Sox?

Pants Rowland

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 04:15 PM)
Is this for contributions only as a Sox?

It's Frank if it's only as a Sox; Griffey or Tom Seaver or Fisk if it's combined performances with all teams.

Would Griffey beat out Seaver? Didn't Seaver win 300 games?

I assume you need to have played for more than a cup of coffee to be considered. Probably why Dick Allen did not make the cut, either.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 08:05 AM)
Christy Mathewson may have some pull there too.

As for the White Sox, the fans voted:

1) Thomas

2) Fox

3) Fisk

BBTN voted:

1) Thomas

2) Appling

3) Fox

Surprised nobody has mentioned Harold Baines yet...he was a favorite of most Sox fans of the "80's generation."

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 08:25 AM)
Surprised nobody has mentioned Harold Baines yet...he was a favorite of most Sox fans of the "80's generation."

Harold more than likely won't make the Hall. The 'Greatest White Sox' should be a HOF'er. In my opinion, Aparicio's not getting enough love.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 08:31 AM)
Harold more than likely won't make the Hall. The 'Greatest White Sox' should be a HOF'er. In my opinion, Aparicio's not getting enough love.

I think Frank needs to make the Hall as a DH, then the Veterans Committee, in the future will vote in Baines.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 12:05 PM)
Harold Baines doesn't have anywhere near hall of fame numbers.

He has the most RBIs and hits of anyone not in the HoF. 40th All-Times in Hits 51st in Home Runs 27 in RBIs. If there are more than 40 or 50 guys in the HoF, I don't think it's accurate to say "Harold Baines doesn't have anywhere near hall of fame numbers". That makes him sound like Pods.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 12:12 PM)
No especially when he played for 22 seasons. I don't hold accumulators in as high regard as some.

Then never mention career numbers. His 162 game averages were .289/.356/.465, 22 HR, 93 RBI, 120 OPS+. and he rarely devaited from that.

Shame his knees did not hold out, or we would have been talking first ballot or not.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 11:15 AM)
Then never mention career numbers. His 162 game averages were .289/.356/.465, 22 HR, 93 RBI, 120 OPS+. and he rarely devaited from that.

Shame his knees did not hold out, or we would have been talking first ballot or not.

If he played for New York or Boston, he'd make it. See Billy Pierce vs. Whitey Ford.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 12:15 PM)

That's a good baseball player but not one of the greatest of all time. If you put him in the hall of fame then you're awarding him for playing forever because his single season numbers are nothing special. Personally I'd be more inclined to induct a player who was great for 10 years then flamed out over a player who was good to very good for 20 seasons.

And Harold really has nothing else to hang his hat on, he was never considered a dominant offensive presence (finished in the top 10 of MVP voting twice in 22 seasons), wasn't much of a defender, didn't steal any bases, didn't lead a team to a world series, never won a world series and has no star power.

If you put him in the hall of fame you're awarding him for sticking around forever via the DH spot and hitting doubles and singles.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 12:36 PM)
Then why can't Jim Rice get in? Compare his 162 game averages to Harold Baines.

Got to say, that's a good question.

Edit: Just had a thought. He was such a surly SOB that a lot of writers (voters) won't vote for him.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 12:36 PM)
Then why can't Jim Rice get in? Compare his 162 game averages to those of Harold Baines.

Both are close. And I respect your comment about accumulators. There has to be a balance. Having a couple great seasons should not be enough, and perhaps having 22 above average seasons is also not quite enough. But I respectfully disagree he has "no where near" HoF numbers. And if there was ever a player where I would want to consider factors like character and class, here it is. I think baseball should consider that when looking at some of these borderline players. Who has made baseball better by their role?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 12:43 PM)
As long as I hear people questioning Big Frank's HOF credentials because he was primarily a DH then there's no way Baines is in....and I loved watching Baines.

Frank is so in.

Whenever I have baseball Hall of Fame or history questions I take them to Baseball-Fever.com, and I recently took Harold there. It got merged into a different Harold Baines thread/poll, where the answer is overwhelmingly no. Take it for what it's worth, but most people don't think he was ever an elite player and the only reason we're having this discussion is that he platooned for a long time accumulating raw totals. Also that this is a Sox board. I suppose that Angels forums would have similar discussions in favor of someone like, say, Garrett Anderson. Every team has guys like this who aren't good enough for the Hall of Fame but are great franchise players.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 11:45 AM)
I agree but you still see the occasional poll on sports websites and hear talk radio discussion about the issue.

Baseball writers will reagard him as the best pwer hitter "non juicer" in the 1990s. His lack of interviewing charisma and pouty nature not withstanding.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 11:45 AM)
I agree but you still see the occasional poll on sports websites and hear talk radio discussion about the issue.

That's just flotsom and jetsom ... give them something to talk about. Frank Thomas was one of the greatest RH hitters of all time.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 11:46 AM)
Whenever I have baseball Hall of Fame or history questions I take them to Baseball-Fever.com, and I recently took Harold there. It got merged into a different Harold Baines thread/poll, where the answer is overwhelmingly no. Take it for what it's worth, but most people don't think he was ever an elite player and the only reason we're having this discussion is that he platooned for a long time accumulating raw totals. Also that this is a Sox board. I suppose that Angels forums would have similar discussions in favor of someone like, say, Garrett Anderson. Every team has guys like this who aren't good enough for the Hall of Fame but are great franchise players.

Most hits and RBIs of anyone not in HoF. All the players ahead of him on those lists are in, and many players behind him are in. And hits and RBIs are not obscure stats. So a Sox board is the only place fans could make that argument. He's a long shot, and if he had the same stats in 3 or 4 less years, he'd be a pretty solid pick.