Freddy Garcia's "talent showcase"

caulfield12

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 07:23 AM)
The White Sox need to be first in line for him. He might actually get a decent payday.

Hmmm....where would he fit in the rotation? Are you going to try to pawn Vazquez off on someone, or Contreras?

Seeing the health/age issues with Jose and the wild inconsistency of Vazquez, who would want them? Yes, there are probably 10 teams that would take Vazquez right now...but we wouldn't get Chris B. Young in return, that's for sure. And Garcia with just his off-speed pitches seems like a recipe for disaster. He had two great starts down the stretch in 06, when we were already out of the race essentially, but I'm not in a rush to bring the Scorpion King back.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 08:44 AM)
Yes, there are probably 10 teams that would take Vazquez right now...but we wouldn't get Chris B. Young in return, that's for sure.

Really? Good.

I hate to revisit this yet again but I think I have to. You mean Vazquez isn't even worth Juan Uribe in return? Because Young's stats, with his absurdly low OBP, look a lot like Uribe's.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 08:44 AM)
Hmmm....where would he fit in the rotation? Are you going to try to pawn Vazquez off on someone, or Contreras?

Seeing the health/age issues with Jose and the wild inconsistency of Vazquez, who would want them? Yes, there are probably 10 teams that would take Vazquez right now...but we wouldn't get Chris B. Young in return, that's for sure. And Garcia with just his off-speed pitches seems like a recipe for disaster. He had two great starts down the stretch in 06, when we were already out of the race essentially, but I'm not in a rush to bring the Scorpion King back.

Um, he solidifies #5 if he's better than Contreras, or he works out of the bullpen and upgrades us there. A good arm is a good arm, and when throwing in the upper 80s, Freddy has a good arm.

I would never say, "let's add Freddy and move Vazquez", I for one haven't given up on the most talented arm in our rotation. Freddy would supply SP insurance and another option to run out there if Contreras indeed is unhealthy or even to give our other starters a break.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 08:16 AM)
Really? Good.

I hate to revisit this yet again but I think I have to. You mean Vazquez isn't even worth Juan Uribe in return? Because Young's stats, with his absurdly low OBP, look a lot like Uribe's.

Yes, he profiles closer to Mike Cameron (strikeouts, power numbers and defensively, minus the arm) than Soriano/Bonds, but I don't think any GM in baseball would consider him anywhere to be in the same league talent-wise as Uribe...which is why Jose Guillen keeps getting huge contracts over and over again, despite his many character issues...or why players like Josh Hamilton and Milton Bradley inevitably find homes.

Would KW trade Quentin to get Chris Young straight up today? Of course not, but he'd think about it, because CF is a more important position to fill than LF, it always has been, or the White Sox and about 20 other MLB teams would have an easier time finding starters who can play the position (arm/range) and also put up 20 homers per season while hitting at least .270 with 15-20 stolen bases.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 09:36 AM)
Um, he solidifies #5 if he's better than Contreras, or he works out of the bullpen and upgrades us there. A good arm is a good arm, and when throwing in the upper 80s, Freddy has a good arm.

I would never say, "let's add Freddy and move Vazquez", I for one haven't given up on the most talented arm in our rotation. Freddy would supply SP insurance and another option to run out there if Contreras indeed is unhealthy or even to give our other starters a break.

Just don't think the White Sox are ready to move into that stratosphere of $150 million plus payrolls where such a move is possible or justifiable...not with the attendance only being average over the last year and one-half.

It would be another thing if we were selling out every game like 2006, although the crowds have been better in the mid to late summer, as is always the case in Chicago with US Cell.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 03:26 PM)
Yes, he profiles closer to Mike Cameron (strikeouts, power numbers and defensively, minus the arm) than Soriano/Bonds, but I don't think any GM in baseball would consider him anywhere to be in the same league talent-wise as Uribe...which is why Jose Guillen keeps getting huge contracts over and over again, despite his many character issues...or why players like Josh Hamilton and Milton Bradley inevitably find homes.

Would KW trade Quentin to get Chris Young straight up today? Of course not, but he'd think about it, because CF is a more important position to fill than LF, it always has been, or the White Sox and about 20 other MLB teams would have an easier time finding starters who can play the position (arm/range) and also put up 20 homers per season while hitting at least .270 with 15-20 stolen bases.

I would not trade a middle of the rotation starter for a "talented" player that may or may not reach his peak, but in any case is hitting in the .220s with a OBP barely at .300 with > 1000 MLB plate appearances. If he was a rookie that's one thing, but in his second year with no improvement, not so much.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 02:33 PM)
I would not trade a middle of the rotation starter for a "talented" player that may or may not reach his peak, but in any case is hitting in the .220s with a OBP barely at .300 with > 1000 MLB plate appearances. If he was a rookie that's one thing, but in his second year with no improvement, not so much.

Well, that would be an interesting poll I think, how many would take back Chris Young for Vazquez, even up, this off-season?

Vazquez can still get back in good graces, but I think a lot of White Sox fans would take Young back and roll the dice...while this would open up a hole in the rotation, Young's contract over this part of his career is pretty manageable, although they might end up regret the length of it if he continues to play like he has in 2008, similar to the Indians and Peralta.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 02:26 PM)

Kenny Williams wouldn't think for a second about a Quentin for Young deal. He'd hang up the phone and laugh until his pants literally fell off.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 11:25 PM)
Young is great defensively, so is much better than Fields in that regard, but I really have a hard time believing Fields wouldn't be posting similar numbers than Young is this year if he was playing every day. CYoung's numbers are very underwhelming this season.

and, IMO (and I'm sure the Sox have quite the same opinion), the Sox have a similar option in the name of Brian Anderson, who happens to be a 4th outfielder on a team in one of the most competitive divisions in the league that just so happens to be in first place. Chris Young would have the same place on this team. Atleast Anderson has an arm.

I hope Arizona is happy with what they gave up for Dan Haren...even if he's been stellar, they were buying high as high could get. They have lost a lot of their minor league system in hopes they'd be very good this year (and I suppose for the future too, with that franchise), and it has turned quite disappointing. Youth doesn't always pay off, seeing the inconsistency that organization has brought upon itself, and I find myself a fan of them. They struggle.

As a side note, thanks Zona for Carlos Quentin, and much thanks to Kenny Williams...following the 2006 season, seeing the weaknesses of the team and taking that long (in case your arithmetic sucks, 1 full season) to deal with them to bring us the team he has, so far, to this day. It's in first place.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 04:32 AM)
and, IMO (and I'm sure the Sox have quite the same opinion), the Sox have a similar option in the name of Brian Anderson, who happens to be a 4th outfielder on a team in one of the most competitive divisions in the league that just so happens to be in first place. Chris Young would have the same place on this team. Atleast Anderson has an arm.

I hope Arizona is happy with what they gave up for Dan Haren...even if he's been stellar, they were buying high as high could get. They have lost a lot of their minor league system in hopes they'd be very good this year (and I suppose for the future too, with that franchise), and it has turned quite disappointing. Youth doesn't always pay off, seeing the inconsistency that organization has brought upon itself, and I find myself a fan of them. They struggle.

As a side note, thanks Zona for Carlos Quentin, and much thanks to Kenny Williams...following the 2006 season, seeing the weaknesses of the team and taking that long (in case your arithmetic sucks, 1 full season) to deal with them to bring us the team he has, so far, to this day. It's in first place.

Dan Haren has had a very succesful season this year and the diamondbacks probably wouldnt be in position to reach the playoffs without him. Yes their record leaves a lot to be desired but they can be a very good playoff team with Webb/Haren/RJ.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 06:32 AM)

It's ironic, but Young's stats really aren't that much better than Anderson's.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 11:52 AM)
I actually think right now that Anderson has more upside than Young.

and no I would not trade Young for Vazquez and I am not that high on Vazquez right now.

Probably not. He doesn't have the raw power or speed tools, and they are similar defensively. Upside goes to Young.

I don't think either player is worth having on a starting roster, though.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 08:18 AM)
It's ironic, but Young's stats really aren't that much better than Anderson's.

Do you really think Anderson could come close to having 30 stolen bases or hitting more than 20 homers in a full season? While the second one is more plausible than the first, Anderson has become something like Rowand (although Rowand at least put up some pretty legit numbers)...given the job once, then sort of banished and now he has to earn it back, and I'm just not sure how that is even possible without moving Konerko or Swisher.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 11:07 AM)
Do you really think Anderson could come close to having 30 stolen bases or hitting more than 20 homers in a full season? While the second one is more plausible than the first, Anderson has become something like Rowand (although Rowand at least put up some pretty legit numbers)...given the job once, then sort of banished and now he has to earn it back, and I'm just not sure how that is even possible without moving Konerko or Swisher.

Anderson has 7 home runs in 143 at bats already this season. That's a 25 home run pace on a 500 at bat season.

The stolen bases certainly aren't there, but it's easy to see Anderson still putting up 25+ dingers, he just has to keep up his current pace.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 01:09 PM)
Anderson has 7 home runs in 143 at bats already this season. That's a 25 home run pace on a 500 at bat season.

The stolen bases certainly aren't there, but it's easy to see Anderson still putting up 25+ dingers, he just has to keep up his current pace.

And if ..... he was playing regularly, he may do more than that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 12:09 PM)

There's the problem. People are often on pace for numbers that they may or may not be able to reach. Anderson has not hit a single homerun against a right-hander this year and playing everyday he'd see more righties than lefties. His split stats are a little weird. But I watch him and he still has an ugly swing and ugly approach. I guess that if he played a 500 at-bat season he'd come nowhere near 25 homeruns unless he somehow turned into a man who simply mashes lefties completely. His stats say fluke and so do my eyes, watching him. I see a guy who's run into some pitches against bad lefties and all his other numbers, especially against lefties, suck.

Edited by Gregory Pratt

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 12:18 PM)
There's the problem. People are often on pace for numbers that they may or may not be able to reach. Anderson has not hit a single homerun against a right-hander this year and playing everyday he'd see more righties than lefties. His split stats are a little weird. But I watch him and he still has an ugly swing and ugly approach. I guess that if he played a 500 at-bat season he'd come nowhere near 25 homeruns unless he somehow turned into a man who simply mashes lefties completely. His stats say fluke and so do my eyes, watching him. I see a guy who's run into some pitches against bad lefties and all his other numbers, especially against lefties, suck.

I'd like to see how many plate appearances he's had this year against pitchers from each side of the rubber. I tried to find it but was unsuccessful.

59 PA versus lefties, adding his walks to his ABs. (2 walks.)

90 PA versus righties.

.211 .237 .596

versus lefties

.256 .289 .349

versus righties

none of this tells me he has 25+ power or ability to swing the bat with enough power and contact. Statistics are very useful, and of course I am using my own eyes in addition.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 02:23 PM)
I'd like to see how many plate appearances he's had this year against pitchers from each side of the rubber. I tried to find it but was unsuccessful.

91 vs. RHP, 60 vs. LHP. Since Wise came up he pretty much never starts vs. RHP anymore though.