Carmines vs. Sox 7:11 CT CSN

ChWRoCk2

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 04:48 PM)
Do you think one reason they got Griffey were games like this to sit Thome down and try to keep that option from vesting?

Wouldn't that be counter productive? Jim Thome has been this team's 3rd best hitter, sitting him down in favor of a lesser hitter is only going to hurt your team. If his option vests, the Phillies should pay about half his salary so if you don't want him around you sell him off to an AL team on the cheap. I'm sure there would be some interest.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 04:58 PM)
Wouldn't that be counter productive? Jim Thome has been this team's 3rd best hitter, sitting him down in favor of a lesser hitter is only going to hurt your team. If his option vests, the Phillies should pay about half his salary so if you don't want him around you sell him off to an AL team on the cheap. I'm sure there would be some interest.

Its counter productive tonight and its happening. While Thome isn't very good against lefties, he's doing much better this year than Griffey, and he's been hot lately. I don't think the Sox get any more money for Thome anyway. Everything I have seen said they received $22 million and he had $46 million left on his deal. I don't know why Philadelphia would agree to thrown in even more money if it meant Thome was productive enough to warrant exercising the option.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 05:16 PM)
I want the option to vest. He will be a very cheap, big bat.

I love him, but cheap is something he won't be. It makes absolutely zero sense Philadelphia would pay more money if 3 seasons after the trade, the White Sox loved his play so much they picked up his option. It makes no sense that the better a player you trade away plays, the more you have to pay.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 04:30 PM)
I love him, but cheap is something he won't be. It makes absolutely zero sense Philadelphia would pay more money if 3 seasons after the trade, the White Sox loved his play so much they picked up his option. It makes no sense that the better a player you trade away plays, the more you have to pay.

The thing is, we're not going to pick it up. He's going to play enough that we have no choice in the matter, and you can't say the Sox picked it up when we simply put him in the lineup.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 04:30 PM)

Its been widely reported that PHI will pick up part of that option.

Lowrie-Pedroia middle infield tandem I am so jealous of since they are both young, and will probably become one of the best in the majors sooner or later. Hopefully we can make one with Ramirez(tho 27 next season)-??? and someone.