Tick Tock - Draft sign deadline

southsideirish71

''If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen,'' general manager Ken Williams said Friday, showing very little emotion. ''You move on, and we'll take the extra pick next year.''

In 2007, seven of the first 30 picks waited until the Aug. 15 deadline, making several teams ante up in the final hours.

That won't happen with the Sox, Williams said. Even with a gaudy .411 batting average and 28 home runs in his junior season at Georgia, Beckham could have benefitted from the last month of minor-league baseball, he said.

''I'm less concerned about all of that -- negotiations, deadlines -- than ... the missed opportunity for development,'' Williams said.

Draft cutoff date this week.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 12:54 AM)

This kind of bluster is all fine and good, and most of the high-profile (first and second rounders) player we haven't signed have turned out to be blessings, but we're talking around $2.23 million here.

We gave Joe Borchard well over twice that amount for nothing.

KW needs to realize we're one of the clubs that's most vulnerable in terms of our farm system and the age of our roster, and that just because he's been able to piece together a contender this year, it doesn't mean this club is well-suited to be competitive 2-3 years down the road.

It's really hard to imagine anyone but Quentin, Ramirez, Danks, Floyd and Jenks being around at that time...and even Jenks is iffy, because the White Sox typically don't like to pay $10 million plus per year to relievers and Bobby's going into arbitration I think.

As much I would like to believe that Anderson and Fields will be starters and that Poreda will joining the rotation, I'm not convinced. When KW looks at his "mythical" big board, I wonder if there are any starters in our minor leagues right now? Maybe Shelby or Getz at 2B? Maybe Martinez or Silverio at SS, where we would seem to have less of a need now with Ramirez.

So if we don't want to have one of the worst teams in baseball, we need to get this signing done.

I'm still not convinced we would have been better off with Gio Gonzalez and Sweeney, and you could make an argument for Young over Vazquez simply because Young is affordable and athletic, and because we haven't been able to fill that position since Rowand was here...and even when Rowand was here, we kept trying to improve that position, refusing to see Rowand as an everyday player.

Jordan Danks not singed either.....

From ChicagoSports.com

Draft update

The Sox have exchanged bonus offers with seventh-round pick Jordan Danks, who went 4-for-5 with three RBIs and a stolen base Tuesday night for Beatrice, Kan., in a 9-1 victory over Seguin, Texas, in the National Baseball Congress tournament.

"We have a week left," John Danks, Jordan's father, said of the Aug. 15 signing deadline. "A lot can happen."

The Sox could face a tough negotiation because three players selected in the seventh round received bonuses of $500,000 and higher.

Meanwhile, first-round pick Gordon Beckham is one of seven top-10 picks who have yet to sign, but it's not uncommon for high picks to be unsigned until the deadline approaches.

Baseball America estimates the recommended bonus slot for Beckham, the eighth pick overall, is $2.23 million.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 03:51 AM)
This kind of bluster is all fine and good, and most of the high-profile (first and second rounders) player we haven't signed have turned out to be blessings, but we're talking around $2.23 million here.

We gave Joe Borchard well over twice that amount for nothing.

KW needs to realize we're one of the clubs that's most vulnerable in terms of our farm system and the age of our roster, and that just because he's been able to piece together a contender this year, it doesn't mean this club is well-suited to be competitive 2-3 years down the road.

It's really hard to imagine anyone but Quentin, Ramirez, Danks, Floyd and Jenks being around at that time...and even Jenks is iffy, because the White Sox typically don't like to pay $10 million plus per year to relievers and Bobby's going into arbitration I think.

As much I would like to believe that Anderson and Fields will be starters and that Poreda will joining the rotation, I'm not convinced. When KW looks at his "mythical" big board, I wonder if there are any starters in our minor leagues right now? Maybe Shelby or Getz at 2B? Maybe Martinez or Silverio at SS, where we would seem to have less of a need now with Ramirez.

So if we don't want to have one of the worst teams in baseball, we need to get this signing done.

I'm still not convinced we would have been better off with Gio Gonzalez and Sweeney, and you could make an argument for Young over Vazquez simply because Young is affordable and athletic, and because we haven't been able to fill that position since Rowand was here...and even when Rowand was here, we kept trying to improve that position, refusing to see Rowand as an everyday player.

Its all bluster. He speaks about losing developmental time, yet then says if he doesn't sign, no big deal, will just take the pick next year. That's losing even more developmental time. The problem I see is if the White Sox put a line in the sand at the slot figure. If he didn't sign, even if they got the same pick next year, signability, rather the acceptance of slot money for that pick next year would come into play meaning the Sox most likely wouldn't pick the best player on their board, but the best player willing to agree to their terms. That sucks, but I don't think it will come down to that. Not signing Beckham would be a disaster IMO. I believe they will sign him and probably Danks as well, although I don't think Danks is nearly the player a lot on this board think he is.

Am I in the minority when I want Danks signed more so than Beckham? I mean I want both signed, but if we get Danks signed, we get a 1-2 round talent in the 7th round. But if he doesn't sign, we get nothing. However, if Gordon doesn't sign, we still get the 8th pick next year.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 12:18 AM)
Am I in the minority when I want Danks signed more so than Beckham? I mean I want both signed, but if we get Danks signed, we get a 1-2 round talent in the 7th round. But if he doesn't sign, we get nothing. However, if Gordon doesn't sign, we still get the 8th pick next year.

I would say yes, you might be the only one.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 07:18 PM)

Wow. :lolhitting

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 06:18 PM)

Danks is not a first or second round talent and is extremely overrated.

Danks over Beckham? Wow...that might have been the dumbest post you have made.

By all indications next year's draft class is crap compared to this year's. I could care less if we signed Danks, but signing Beckham is imperative. Middle infielders like him don't grow on trees and God knows we need someone like him in our system NOW.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 08:11 PM)
Danks is not a first or second round talent and is extremely overrated.

Danks over Beckham? Wow...that might have been the dumbest post you have made.

Danks is a first or second round talent. He possess all the tools but his bat hasn't developed as much as his other tools yet.

And like I said, I want both. But I think it would suck more if we don't get Danks signed because we get nothing if he goes back. If Gordon goes back, we still get the 8th pick next year.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 08:43 PM)
Danks is a first or second round talent. He possess all the tools but his bat hasn't developed as much as his other tools yet.

And like I said, I want both. But I think it would suck more if we don't get Danks signed because we get nothing if he goes back. If Gordon goes back, we still get the 8th pick next year.

Well ask yourself this question, are the laws of economics going to suspend for next year. Thats a no. Next year, our 8th pick will requires bags of money to step on the reservation. Either that, or we pick up a pile of crap, call him a 8th pick and sign him for cheap because he is signable. I would rather keep our nice line drive hitting SS, you know one of those hard to find type guys. Who told you Danks is a first round talent,

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 09:49 PM)
Well ask yourself this question, are the laws of economics going to suspend for next year. Thats a no. Next year, our 8th pick will requires bags of money to step on the reservation. Either that, or we pick up a pile of crap, call him a 8th pick and sign him for cheap because he is signable. I would rather keep our nice line drive hitting SS, you know one of those hard to find type guys. Who told you Danks is a first round talent,

you make very good points...

There could be some issues with Beckham:

Yonder Alonso is asking 6-7M. Slot for Alonso is 2.3M.

This is probably why Beckham is in a holding pattern. Everyone anticipated both Alonso and Beckham would sign for slot money. So Alonso's demands have put a significant effect on what the Sox have done. However, Beckham and Alonso both have to realize that they will lose all there leverage if they go back into the draft.

The main question is whether these guys get major league contracts or just over slot bonuses.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 03:12 PM)
I really hope Bekcham doesn't start in Bristol.

I'm not sure it makes much of a difference this late in the season.

Chances of him playing in more than a dozen games before the end of the year are not very high.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 11:13 AM)
Two posters on WSI are saying that he signed this morning. I wonder if they'll wait till the 15th to announce it.

Good news if true. Let's hope it's indeed the case.