Sox to put in a claim for Washburn?

AWhiteSoxinNJ

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Winning Ugly @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 01:37 PM)
D'Backs just got Adam Dunn for hardly nothing. I don't see why it would take a lot to get Washburn or Byrd.

You don't know that yet.

...the nothing part. Not that DBacks getting Dunn. Two of the players haven't been named...how can you say they got him for hardly nothing?

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 02:16 PM)
how can you say they got him for hardly nothing?

Because I live in Phoenix and they got a few impact players left in the minors, and Dallas Buck was the best left of them. The stations out here are stating the other 2 will be 1 from low A and 1 from AA, but nothing that was in the D'Backs future plans.

That would be funny if it was the low A kid we gave up for Quentin. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Winning Ugly @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 03:29 PM)
Because I live in Phoenix and they got a few impact players left in the minors, and Dallas Buck was the best left of them. The stations out here are stating the other 2 will be 1 from low A and 1 from AA, but nothing that was in the D'Backs future plans.

Jarrod Parker disagrees...funny too, seeing as how he's in low-A.

They already dealt away Chris Carter too; they traded him in the Haren deal.

Scherzer is also legitimate as hell too; 2.90 ERA in 31 innings in the majors, 2.70 ERA in 36 innings in the minors to go along with a K/9 of 14.5. Even if he's just a closer of the future, he's got an absolutely dynamic arm.

You don't know that they gave up hardly nothing.

QUOTE (Winning Ugly @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 05:29 PM)

They already shipped him to the A's for Haren.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 05:43 PM)
Jarrod Parker disagrees...funny too, seeing as how he's in low-A.

They already dealt away Chris Carter too; they traded him in the Haren deal.

Scherzer is also legitimate as hell too; 2.90 ERA in 31 innings in the majors, 2.70 ERA in 36 innings in the minors to go along with a K/9 of 14.5. Even if he's just a closer of the future, he's got an absolutely dynamic arm.

You don't know that they gave up hardly nothing.

Scherzer's on the 40-man, though. I don't think they could deal him without slipping him through waivers (which obviously would never happen).

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 03:47 PM)
Scherzer's on the 40-man, though. I don't think they could deal him without slipping him through waivers (which obviously would never happen).

no, I was merely stating that they do have players that are good.

I would be a little surprised if they dealt away Parker, but they could figure that with Haren, Webb, and Scherzer all hanging around that they have the ability to deal him away.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 05:49 PM)
no, I was merely stating that they do have players that are good.

I would be a little surprised if they dealt away Parker, but they could figure that with Haren, Webb, and Scherzer all hanging around that they have the ability to deal him away.

Fair enough, but presumably whoever WU was listening to was only talking about impact players who could be traded for Dunn. It's just understood that Scherzer isn't part of the discussion.

But, yeah, I would agree with you on the big point that you can't say they gave up nothing. Parker would be one, and if they're getting the two picks for Dunn, I can see it happening.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 03:03 PM)
I equate what they gave up for Dunn about what we gave up for Griffey IMO. Borderline guys, the main one being a TJ surgery guy.

That's what I really meant...but obviously more talent then we gave for Griffey because of Dunn's age, etc.

Gamboa and Ash, the sportwriters on the radio out here are praising the deal like we were the Griffey deal when that happened. Without knowing alot about their prospects, it just seems like what I am hearing is that it was a sweet deal for the D'Backs.

Now they are talking about moving Mark Reynolds to 2B. LMAO!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 05:24 PM)
Well, PTBL usually arent show stoppers.

No, because they're usually low-minors guys. But they can still be good prospects. wite's already pointed out one possibility in Parker, and thinking about this deal, it wouldn't make much sense for the Reds to deal Dunn unless they get him. The two picks he'll bring are worth more than Buck + filler.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 05:24 PM)
Well, PTBL usually arent show stoppers.

Gio Gonzalez was a PTBNL

All that means is that generally a team has to wait X amount of time to deal a player, and as soon as the player is able to be dealt the deal is completed, or it means there's a choice. It could be that CIN has a choice of any 2 of 3/4 prospects that they have their eye on and are still deciding on which ones they prefer. They could be getting some pretty good talent back, and I'm guessing they are since they're giving up the shot at compensation picks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 05:32 PM)
Wasn't Gio the PTBNL in the original Thome trade? I believe they did that solely for roster spot purposes to enable the phils to avoid losing him in the rule 5 draft.

Don't remember on the Thome trade, but I'm pretty sure he was the ptbnl in the the Garcia trade. And Kenny proceeded to name him a little earlier than planned. :D

Washburn isn't coming here.

Link

It sounds like Washburn isnt the guy, but KW is still looking for a guy. The fact that they haven't named a started for Thursday makes me believe they will make a deal.

I wonder if Byrd is the guy they are going after? He had a poor first half, but in the second half he is 4-0 with a 1.24 ERA.

Mlb trade rumors reported the two PTBNL are from the D-backs 40 man roster. One is expected to be a MLB ready pitcher and the other IMO is likely an OF. Maybe Owings and Salazar?

I have no problem giving up Poreda for an SP at this point. I feel that Poreda will eventually become a Brian Fuentes clone as a smoking LHP out of the bullpen. I dont think that he has the arsenal of pitches to be a succeful starter. I definitely wouldnt give him up for Byrd, but if there is a high level player out there, preferably one who would be a Type A free agent in this year or next, I would send him and Fields. We can deal with the consequences in the offseason, but we are close to the playoffs and have the opportunity to go deep, its time to go into play for today mode. AJ Burnett is probably the best target for right now if he can make it to the Sox in waivers. Or maybe a combo deal with the Rangers for Blalock (TO for next season is relatively cheap at 6.25 MM) and an SP like Millwood (signed at $11 MM in 09, $12 MM VO in '10) basically replacing Jose's contract next year. Millwood has not been terrific in Texas, but that is the ballpark pitchers go to die.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 02:18 AM)
Washburn isn't coming here.

Link

It sounds like Washburn isnt the guy, but KW is still looking for a guy. The fact that they haven't named a started for Thursday makes me believe they will make a deal.

I don't believe anything that Kenny tells the media. His statements are made to put him in a position to get better leverage in negotiations.

I wonder if Byrd is the guy they are going after? He had a poor first half, but in the second half he is 4-0 with a 1.24 ERA.

Probably.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 05:49 AM)
I have no problem giving up Poreda for an SP at this point... I definitely wouldnt give him up for Byrd, but if there is a high level player out there, preferably one who would be a Type A free agent in this year or next, I would send him and Fields. We can deal with the consequences in the offseason, but we are close to the playoffs and have the opportunity to go deep, its time to go into play for today mode. AJ Burnett is probably the best target for right now if he can make it to the Sox in waivers. Or maybe a combo deal with the Rangers for Blalock (TO for next season is relatively cheap at 6.25 MM) and an SP like Millwood (signed at $11 MM in 09, $12 MM VO in '10) basically replacing Jose's contract next year. Millwood has not been terrific in Texas, but that is the ballpark pitchers go to die.

I wouldn't trade Poreda for Millwood. But I might package him with Fields and an a couple of A-ballers for somebody like Halladay. Poreda straight-up for Burnett might not be a bad deal, although he's been unusually mediocre this year.

I feel that Poreda will eventually become a Brian Fuentes clone as a smoking LHP out of the bullpen. I dont think that he has the arsenal of pitches to be a succeful starter.

Given how badly Thornton and Logan have been pitching and that Poreda will be cheap and under Sox control for several more years, I think he'd fit in very nicely on this team.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 08:51 AM)
I wouldn't trade Poreda for Millwood. But I might package him with Fields and an a couple of A-ballers for somebody like Halladay. Poreda straight-up for Burnett might not be a bad deal, although he's been unusually mediocre this year.

I can't imagine Halladay would clear waivers or get anywhere close to us. Hell, I'd claim him if I were the Pirates. Burnett has a reasonable shot of at least being able to move to some team that might want him, but I wouldn't move Poreda for him, not when he can opt out of his contract at the end of the year. Poreda for 1.5 months of Burnett is a horrendous deal.