Richard going back up...

JPN366

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (quickman @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 05:13 PM)
does anyone have any real data on this or is this just rumor?

It was announced on the Knights radio broadcast last night. That is why Richard didn't start for Charlotte like scheduled.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 07:14 PM)
tribune sez Broadway has been sent back down.

doesn't say anything about Clayton Richard.

"It was announced on the Knights radio broadcast last night. That is why Richard didn't start for Charlotte like scheduled."

Don't know how clearer I can be.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 10:33 PM)
Does all this shuffling use up Clayton and Lance's options?

You can only use up 1 option per year. When Broadway was optioned to Charlotte in March it burnt his one option for the year so he has 2 left. (you start off with three)

Clayton being recalled only 10 days after he was optioned to AAA means his demotion will not count as an option. (any assignment shorter than 20 days does not count as an option) So even if Clayton is sent back to the minors sometime this month but is recalled again when rosters expand on September first then the Sox will still retain all 3 options on Clayton Richard.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 10:41 PM)
You can only use up 1 option per year. When Broadway was optioned to Charlotte in March it burnt his one option for the year so he has 2 left. (you start off with three)

Now if I'm not mistaken, Clayton being recalled only 10 days after he was optioned to AAA could mean an option was not technically used since he was not in the minors long enough. He was added to the 40 man roster on July 21st when he was recalled. So if Clayton stays with the club through September first and remains with the club through the end of the year when rosters expand, the Sox may retain all 3 options on Clayton Richard.

so basically he just has to be part of the team for the rest of the season?

I feel like i have some understanding of the options, but then something always comes up, you usually know it though Kalapse, hats off

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 10:46 PM)
so basically he just has to be part of the team for the rest of the season?

I feel like i have some understanding of the options, but then something always comes up, you usually know it though Kalapse, hats off

I edited my post a bit to clarify. Since Clayton was only in AAA for 10 days (shorter than the required 20) an option was not used. Now since rosters expand 17 days from now, even if Richard is sent back to AAA some time this month, as long as he's recalled when rosters expand on Sept. 1st, once again an option will not be used.

I found this article from Rob Neyer helpful to clear up alot of misunderstandings about options, waivers, and other transaction rules.

Rob Neyer's Transactions Primer

Here's the section on Options:

"Options"

After three years as a pro, a player must be protected on a team's 40-man roster, or he is eligible for the Rule 5 draft (more on that later). Once he's served those three years, and assuming he is added to the 40-man roster, his club then has what are called "options" on him.

When a player is on the 40-man roster but not on the 25-man Major League roster, he is on "optional assignment." One common misconception about the rules is that a player may only be "optioned out" three times. Actually, each player has three option years, and he can be sent up and down as many times as the club chooses within those three seasons.

When you hear that a player is "out of options," that means he's been on the 40-man roster during three different seasons, beginning with his fourth as a pro, and to be sent down again he'll have to clear waivers (more on those below).

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 11:10 PM)
I found this article from Rob Neyer helpful to clear up alot of misunderstandings about options, waivers, and other transaction rules.

Rob Neyer's Transactions Primer

Here's the section on Options:

"Options"

After three years as a pro, a player must be protected on a team's 40-man roster, or he is eligible for the Rule 5 draft (more on that later). Once he's served those three years, and assuming he is added to the 40-man roster, his club then has what are called "options" on him.

When a player is on the 40-man roster but not on the 25-man Major League roster, he is on "optional assignment." One common misconception about the rules is that a player may only be "optioned out" three times. Actually, each player has three option years, and he can be sent up and down as many times as the club chooses within those three seasons.

When you hear that a player is "out of options," that means he's been on the 40-man roster during three different seasons, beginning with his fourth as a pro, and to be sent down again he'll have to clear waivers (more on those below).

I'v had that bookmarked for a couple of years and have linked to it here on Soxtalk a couple of times when these kind of questions arise. It has come in handy. Good info there.

Ok so somebody needs to pitch next Tuesday and it can't be Broadway as he can't return until the 25th. So it is Richard because he is left handed and I suppose the Mariners do not hit lefties all that well and Broadway gets hit pretty good by lefties.

I thought Broadway did a nice job and should be given another start.

Not sure I agree with this line of thinking but I was not a big Broadway fan coming into yesterday.

Who knows.

Having Richard on the team over Broadway makes little sense. I would hope we don't think Richard can contribute in the bullpen, because at least right now, I doubt he can. We are a starter short in the meantime, and although I have no idea if he is any good, Broadway has started in the majors twice and been good both times. Richard comes up and shows he can't get people out, Broadway shows he can, and we have Richard on the roster instead of Broadway. Makes perfect sense.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 04:42 PM)
Having Richard on the team over Broadway makes little sense. I would hope we don't think Richard can contribute in the bullpen, because at least right now, I doubt he can. We are a starter short in the meantime, and although I have no idea if he is any good, Broadway has started in the majors twice and been good both times. Richard comes up and shows he can't get people out, Broadway shows he can, and we have Richard on the roster instead of Broadway. Makes perfect sense.

I agree with your argument. Richard got banged around 3 times and never lasted more than 4 innings. Broadway does a real good job for 5 1/3 (failed only by his defense) and he gets sent down in favor of Richard. Man that is hard to figure out. Now on the other hand Carrasco is still a starting option.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 01:27 PM)
I agree with your argument. Richard got banged around 3 times and never lasted more than 4 innings. Broadway does a real good job for 5 1/3 (failed only by his defense) and he gets sent down in favor of Richard. Man that is hard to figure out. Now on the other hand Carrasco is still a starting option.

To be clear, if this were being done because Thornton was going on the DL and we wanted another lefty in the pen, well i'd be fine with it. But to send Broadway down and bring back Richard is baffling.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 12:39 PM)
To be clear, if this were being done because Thornton was going on the DL and we wanted another lefty in the pen, well i'd be fine with it. But to send Broadway down and bring back Richard is baffling.

I can't wait to see where this is all headed.