Today's bullpen implosion, brought to you by Seattle Sutton

caulfield12

I think they should start selling sponsorships now, like they do with walks and doubles.

The next thing, we'll see fans clamoring to bring in Jenks to start the 8th. Vazquez's pitch count was in the low 80's, I think 81 to be exact, when the 8th started.

In all seriousness, with Dotel nearing Damaso Marte-like oblivion (see 2005) and Carasco looking like a savior out of the bullpen, things sure look bleak. What's that saying about the darkest time of night is right before the dawn? Well, I think we're getting close.

You just know that the next time we have a lead like that in the 8th, we'll see either Jenks or DJ. Of course, a LH batter will rip a home run, and everyone will say "why the ---- didn't Ozzie use Thornton there?"

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 23, 2008 -> 05:00 PM)
Thornton had the chance to get out of that inning with the Sox still tied if OC could field the damn ball. Does he have naked pictures of the official scorer? I've never seen a player get the benefit of the call more than he does.

The official story is that Bartlett, using his Lew Ford/Tyner/Punto/Hocking/LeCroy "grinding-ness" intelligently screened Cabrera and that he didn't see the ball until it was too late.

Of course, OC is too afraid to speak for himself, so it will be interesting to see if Ozzie defends him or not.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 23, 2008 -> 05:00 PM)
Keeping the starter in just didnt work today.

OC didnt help the bullpen either.

Not really sure that you can blame the bullpen for Cabrera's error, or for the fact that Thorton was brought in a terrible position to succeed.

Its 1 game just have to focus on tomorrow.

I really think Thornton is not unlike Marte. Neither one of them could pitch in really clutch situations, or with runners on base.

Thornton has a better fastball, but it doesn't have much movement (see Iwamura's AB), especially with his arm wearing down and throwing 93-95 instead of 95-97. Marte's slider/slurve was a better secondary pitch than what Thornton throws up there.

Well, at any rate, it's telling when your best set-up guy is expected to only pitch when there are not runners on base.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 23, 2008 -> 06:00 PM)
Thornton had the chance to get out of that inning with the Sox still tied if OC could field the damn ball. Does he have naked pictures of the official scorer? I've never seen a player get the benefit of the call more than he does.

Agreed...but Thornton didn't help by walking in a run

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 23, 2008 -> 05:04 PM)
BTW, wasn't it refreshing to not see Tampa play smallball in the 8th inning? They went for the win instead of having Bartlett bunt. Kudos to their coaching staff.

They are simply on a roll, despite all the Upton mess. In fact, that's really solidified their team together (like the DET fight in 2000 did for us) and everyone on that team has each other's backs.

Maybe it was walking Josh Hamilton, getting MVP numbers from the likes of Royals castoff Howell or Twins' castoff (after surgery) Balfour...this team, for whatever reason, just "has" it. Even without Crawford and Longoria, they're really tough...they simply don't beat themselves.

Edited by caulfield12

Runners on base and the bases being loaded are 2 completely different things. With the bases loaded and no outs your margin of error is so small, you have to worry about passed balls, walks, etc.

I doubt that any pitcher has a great success rate with the bases loaded. the best chance was a strike out and iwamura just didnt give in.

Well, we can all now say that Ozzie should have taken Thornton out one batter earlier, but you don't expect to give up 4 runs in that situation.

If the bullpen is doing a reasonable job at all, you should at least go to the bottom of the 8th with a 3-3 tie.

Not to mention the fact that he got Iwamura yesterday. Where was El Duque when we really needed him, lol?

Edited by caulfield12

hell bring in Jenks in the 8th....

That usually doesn't work. For some reason closers like Soria the other night implode when asked to do the two inning thing.

No good can come out of a manager being afraid to use his bullpen.

Losing home games sucks. We need to salvage Sunday's game. The Twins have to be so loose going into tonight's game realizing they can pick up a full game on the Sox who couldn't win at home.

I think it was f***ing stupid to take out Vaz when they did. It was his ball game to win or lose, not the bullpen's. It's not like he was even hit hard that inning. He gave up a decently struck ball to Navarro, but he got screwed over by the ump with Gross at bat, and Bartlett had a little seeing-eye-single. If he was giving up rockets left and right, it would have been different, but he was still pitching good. f***ing stupid.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 23, 2008 -> 06:00 PM)

Wait, they actually scored that a hit? What the f*** is going on?

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2008 -> 12:00 AM)

I only saw that error by OC on replay. I called it an error although it looked real hard hit, but apparently the scorer gave the hitter a basehit?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 24, 2008 -> 01:17 AM)
I think it was f***ing stupid to take out Vaz when they did. It was his ball game to win or lose, not the bullpen's. It's not like he was even hit hard that inning. He gave up a decently struck ball to Navarro, but he got screwed over by the ump with Gross at bat, and Bartlett had a little seeing-eye-single. If he was giving up rockets left and right, it would have been different, but he was still pitching good. f***ing stupid.

Did Javy load the bases? If so then Ozzie was right to take him out. Thornton usually has been lights out dominating, but of all days to take a step back it had to be today

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 23, 2008 -> 07:55 PM)
Did Javy load the bases? If so then Ozzie was right to take him out. Thornton usually has been lights out dominating, but of all days to take a step back it had to be today

Yep...single, walk to Gross (that was the real killer), then another single.

The two walks (the second one with Thornton pitching to Iwamura that went about 11 pitches) and the Cabrera error/hit really destroyed our chances that inning. Then we didn't even have the heart this time to try to mount a comeback or at least get a runner or two on and pretend to make it interesting so we could say, well, these Sox are resilient, they never give up.

QUOTE (griffey17 @ Aug 23, 2008 -> 05:06 PM)
hell bring in Jenks in the 8th....

Isn't a closer suppose to come in a game on the line situation.. I've seen him do it before.. I've seen Bobby get out of a bases loaded situation before he became our closer.. Yes, why not..........................This was a game situation. I don't have an idea who can pitch well enough to close other than Bobby but ........

Edited by forrestg

How many times have the Sox starters had a no-hitter past the 5th this year? I know Danks and Floyd had a couple. It is amazing how the Sox pitchers are becoming all or nothing.

Ozzie probably should've pulled JV after walking Gross, but that it easy to say now. Just sucks to lose 2 at home in the fashion the Sox have the last 2 games. They showed a stat how TB has outscored the Sox 11-2 from the 7th inning on. The 8th has been extremely brutal with 7 runs allowed in 2 games. Linebrink needs to get healthy quick. I am surprised we have lasted this long without him.

Also, I can't believe TB is beating us without Longoria or Crawford.

Edited by RME JICO