White Sox vs. Rays - 1:05 CSN, TBS

Jake

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no way this team is going anywhere without Linebrink. I guess it's easier to use that as a crutch, but the fact is that our bullpen and defense haven't been supporting our pitchers at all this season.

Here's another area where the Chris Young trade has hurt. With Quentin in LF and Dye in RF, we need a much better CFer than Swisher. We can't easily trade Konerko, yet Swisher's best position is 1B and then we have Thome, who I have a sneaking suspicion will be a White Sox next year...and, at this point, the idea of Thome back (even though he's been very good offensively the last 2 months) just gives me no faith the 3 run homer nature of this team will ever change.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 24, 2008 -> 04:00 PM)
There's no way this team is going anywhere without Linebrink. I guess it's easier to use that as a crutch, but the fact is that our bullpen and defense haven't been supporting our pitchers at all this season.

Here's another area where the Chris Young trade has hurt. With Quentin in LF and Dye in RF, we need a much better CFer than Swisher. We can't easily trade Konerko, yet Swisher's best position is 1B and then we have Thome, who I have a sneaking suspicion will be a White Sox next year...and, at this point, the idea of Thome back (even though he's been very good offensively the last 2 months) just gives me no faith the 3 run homer nature of this team will ever change.

chris young has a .306 on base percentage....that chris young trade really hasnt hurt at all

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 24, 2008 -> 01:59 PM)
Swisher showing plate discipline, amazing.

Now bunt, Uribe.

If we had Linebrink or a confident Dotel or could use Thornton to protect a tie game or 1 run lead, I'd agree with you.

With the complete lack of a bullpen, we have to play for the big inning. I think we have to bring in Jenks if Carrasco gets in trouble. Of course, the problem with that strategy is we might have two "long" games tomorrow for our bullpen to cover.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2008 -> 02:01 PM)
I love smallball...not. Absolutely shameful managing this weekend.

If we hit too many homers and don't try and bunt in some situations, people b****. Than we try and play small ball and the PLAYERS screw up, and it is Ozzie's fault. Gimme a break.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2008 -> 02:02 PM)
I've never seen one manager dominate another manager as much as this weekend.

You say that every weekend that we lose a series.

The Ray PLAYERS are easily outplaying our PLAYERS.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 24, 2008 -> 03:00 PM)

The Chris Young trade mentioned for the first time in a while, at least what I've seen. I understand though. But with getting Quentin from the Diamondbacks, we've gotten the best of the Diamondbacks overall. Jerry Owens for center field? haha

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 24, 2008 -> 09:03 PM)
If we hit too many homers and don't try and bunt in some situations, people b****. Than we try and play small ball and the PLAYERS screw up, and it is Ozzie's fault. Gimme a break.

You'll never hear me say we need to bunt more. When your bullpen is as bad as ours is, you can't play for the tie.

It simply amazes me how stupid/dumb/fundenmentally poor this team is. It's not fair to compare them to 2003 in the sense this team has more talent, but in terms of being relatively good in a winnable division/playoff race and still underachieving your way out of the postseason, this team and 2003 stand together.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (daa84 @ Aug 24, 2008 -> 02:02 PM)
chris young has a .306 on base percentage....that chris young trade really hasnt hurt at all

WE DON'T NEED OFFENSE!!!

We need players on the team who can play above-average major league defense at each position.

Right now, we don't have one in that category.

Only Swisher at 1B and Ramirez (yes, I know about the errors, but that's only one side of the story) and a healthy Crede or Uribe at 3B would fit into that category. Cabrera might even be below average (see Royce Clayton 2001-02 for example 2) at this point in his career.