Democratic Convention Talk

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man...it is freakin crazy around here. I have never seen so many police in my life. The helicopters feel like they are 2 feet over my building. Got hassled by some cops on saturday night when me and some buddies were walkin back from the bar. They have a lot of rent a cops from smaller cities around Denver and I think they are trying to act like big timers. Saw James Carville walking down the street and a few of the Chicago news guys that I have since forgot their names. Everything is running pretty smoothly though, oh and I think I saw Oprah's entourage today.

Yup, running smoothly.

http://www.denverpost.com/politicswestnews/ci_10301186

Police use spray to force back protesters in Civic Center

By The Denver Post

Riot police using pepper spray forced a couple of hundred protesters out of Civic Center and then blocked them before they could reach the 16th Street Mall.

Police surrounded the protesters along 15th Street between Court Street and Cleveland and then moved up reinforcements, including at least two armored vehicles. They have made numerous arrests and were still processing detainees at 9:30 p.m.

Shortly before 8:30 p.m., police began to let some of those trapped leave in the direction of Civic Center.

They walked out between lines of police, chanting as they left and raising their arms in triumph.

"I'm a little in shock," said Joey-Kenzie, 21, of Denver, after spending about 90 minutes in the crowd of people pinned in by

officers in SWAT gear.

Kenzie said she wanted to leave but police had surrounded the group and there was no way out.

"At one point we didn't know what we were going to do, we were going to get arrested or maced," said the recent Community College of Denver graduate.

Kenzie said police never asked for her identification.

"I haven't been able to vote for a president yet, but this was an epiphany," she said. "My freedom of speech was suppressed."

Protesters and police had originally lined up across from one another in front of City and County Building about 7 p.m., the police wearing their full riot gear and holding batons, chanting "move back, move back."

Police used pepper spray before the mass of marchers moved back across the park and were cut off by police behind the Sheraton Hotel.

One protester said police had used the spray "like a supersoaker" in front of the City and County Building. Pepper spray was used again on 15th Street.

A police spokesman said that they had massed their forces in the park based on intelligence about the protesters' actions.

One demonstrator, who would not give his name, said the confrontation began when "a bunch of us were supposed to have a direct action march."

Curiousity seekers stood outside the police cordon, outnumbering the marchers.

Protestors told reporters they were a mix of Tent State participants and those identifying themselves as anti-capitalist, anti-fascist, anti-war individuals.

The group split, with officers surrounding and detaining the group on 15th Street, while others were pushed back by police toward Civic Center. Once the police organized their lines, the distance widened.

Police officials asked RTD to shut the 16th Street Mall bus shuttle service shortly after 7 p.m., said RTD spokesman Scott Reed. The mall service resumed around 9:30 p.m.

Sam Harper, 36, of Eufaula, Okla., said he was here to protest the war, but he wasn't prepared to be injured.

"When I saw the tear gas, I split. I don't need to get beat down," Harper said.

The detained grouped chanted in unison: "Who screams? We scream."

Paralyzed anti-war activist Ron Kovic, who was not part of the march, had talked to protesters on the mall outside of the police parimeter."I came out here for my concern for you," Kovic told them. "We're not going to let them stop you. We're not going to let them intimidate you. But we are emphasizing peace and nonviolence. We don't want trouble in Denver tonight."

Some in the crowd outside the police lines, which included onlookers and media, chanted: "Cops here. Bombs there. U.S. out of everywhere."

"Speech is free. Let them be."

"Show me what the First Amendment looks like."

"Let them go."

"Watch out! They're gearing up," some in the crowd shouted, as officers donned gas masks and other protective equipment.

A girl warned anyone with contact lenses to get out of the area.

"The spray will fuse your contact lenses to your eyeballs," she said.

A protester named Timmy said he had slipped out of his all-black outfit and then slipped outside the police cordon.

"We want freedom from oppression," he said. "We want direct democracy where communities are allowed to make decisions based on our own abilities. It takes bottom-up organizing to make change; it doesn't take a leader. We want cooperations, not capitalism."

Meanwhile, in Skyline Park near 18th and Arapahoe, about a dozen people sat surrounded by police, apparently in custody.

DENVER (CBS4) ― CBS4 has now learned at least four people are under arrest in connection with a possible plot to kill Barack Obama at his Thursday night acceptance speech in Denver. All are being held on either drug or weapons charges. [...]

The story began emerging Sunday morning when Aurora police arrested 28-year-old Tharin Gartrell. He was driving a rented pickup truck in an erratic manner according to sources.

Sources told CBS4 police found two high-powered, scoped rifles in the car along with camouflage clothing, walkie-talkies, a bulletproof vest, a spotting scope, licenses in the names of other people and methamphetamine. One of the rifles is listed as stolen from Kansas.

Subsequently authorities went to the Cherry Creek Hotel to contact an associate of Gartrell's. But that man, who was wanted on numerous warrants, jumped out of a sixth floor hotel window. Law enforcement sources say the man broke an ankle in the fall and was captured moments later. Sources say he was wearing a ring with a swastika, and is thought to have ties to white supremacist organizations.

A third man -- an associate of Gartrell and the hotel jumper was also arrested. He told authorities that the two men "planned to kill Barack Obama at his acceptance speech."

That man, along with a woman, are also under arrest.

The Secret Service, FBI, ATF and the joint terrorism task force are all investigating the alleged plot.

I am pretty sure I just saw Mayor Daley walking in front of my building as I got to work. I was 10 minutes late and didn't have a straight on view of him so I didn't go up and say anything. I am sorta pissed I didn't now though...

In response to the protestors, I hadn't herd anything about this. Civic Center Park is like a block or 2 from my apartment. I have been sorta stuck on CNN and not the local news channels so must be why I didn't hear about it. Or they are choosing not to say anything. On first hand account though...Denver went way overboard with the police force...they are more likely to incite a riot than stop one...

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 08:47 PM)
For those who are interested:

Live streaming video via the DNC Convention Website.

By the way, I only caught the last 2 minutes, but Ted Kennedy is the man.

I don't want to stop the cheerleading, and I know I may catch flak for this, but I was very disappointed with that speech. His speech was standard convention boilerplate. I wanted something that only Kennedy could deliver. You have an icon of the party speaking at (in his words) his last convention, everyone waiting to hear from him. And he said nothing memorable.

This is not to question that the moment was emotional. But because of that, his speech had a unique potential to affect a fractured party and the campaign itself. It feels like a missed opportunity.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 03:50 PM)
I don't want to stop the cheerleading, and I know I may catch flak for this, but I was very disappointed with that speech. His speech was standard convention boilerplate. I wanted something that only Kennedy could deliver. You have an icon of the party speaking at (in his words) his last convention, everyone waiting to hear from him. And he said nothing memorable.

This is not to question that the moment was emotional. But because of that, his speech had a unique potential to affect a fractured party and the campaign itself. It feels like a missed opportunity.

I could see it that way, but, he didn't even know if he was going to be able to speak, and to speak with fire and urgency while having a brain tumor killing him at the time was pretty special. And his urging that he'd be there fighting when Obama became president.

I gotta agree with bmags...I mean his doctor urged him not to come out here even just to be in attendence. But he sucked it up and actually gave a speech in front of 20,000 people. I mean the man just had surgery on his brain...what more could you expect of him?

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 10:57 AM)
I gotta agree with bmags...I mean his doctor urged him not to come out here even just to be in attendence. But he sucked it up and actually gave a speech in front of 20,000 people. I mean the man just had surgery on his brain...what more could you expect of him?

It was important for him to show because of his importance to the party, because of his prominence within it. When you have that platform, and you've already decided to make the difficult trip, why not use that opportunity to say something unique?

It's not meant to be a criticism of him, personally. It just strikes me as regrettable.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 03:13 PM)
It was important for him to show because of his importance to the party, because of his prominence within it. When you have that platform, and you've already decided to make the difficult trip, why not use that opportunity to say something unique?

It's not meant to be a criticism of him, personally. It just strikes me as regrettable.

Yea, but I think he had a play on his speech in 1980...something about dreams...I wasn't alive then so I guess it wasn't unique to me

I was underwhelmed with Kennedy's speech. It was a nice touch to have him there, but he went to the Mario Cuomo democratic cliche book. On the other hand, I was VERY impressed with Michelle Obama's speech. I never really thought she was some sort of angry black woman or militant or whatever (she just seems like your typical lifelong Chicagoan with an attitude to me, and that's fine, I could be described as that), but last night was a job well done by her. She came across as very likeable, smart, goal oriented, and real, and it was honestly more impressive to me than any speech even her husband has done.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 10:45 AM)
I was underwhelmed with Kennedy's speech. It was a nice touch to have him there, but he went to the Mario Cuomo democratic cliche book. On the other hand, I was VERY impressed with Michelle Obama's speech. I never really thought she was some sort of angry black woman or militant or whatever (she just seems like your typical lifelong Chicagoan with an attitude to me, and that's fine, I could be described as that), but last night was a job well done by her. She came across as very likeable and real, and it was honestly more impressive to me than any speech even her husband has done.

All of her speeches are like that. Almost all of the negative perceptions of her are based on that "proud of my country" gaffe.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 10:47 AM)
All of her speeches are like that. Almost all of the negative perceptions of her are based on that "proud of my country" gaffe.

Most people hadn't really seen a full Michelle Obama speech until last night though, so I think it was very important for her to do well and come across the way she does in most speeches and she certainly hit the proverbial home run.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Supposedly Mayor Daley is going to give a speech on Wednesday. I have herd his are also not that inspirational but I guess we will wait and see. I had to check to see if he was here and read that...

Should have yelled out "Go White Sox" this morning to see if he would look

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 11:52 AM)
Most people hadn't really seen a full Michelle Obama speech until last night though, so I think it was very important for her to do well and come across the way she does in most speeches and she certainly hit the proverbial home run.

I agree. She was a really effective campaign asset until then., and then the Jeremiah Wright thing broke out not too long after that so she started laying low.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 04:57 PM)
I agree. She was a really effective campaign asset until then., and then the Jeremiah Wright thing broke out not too long after that so she started laying low.

especially in Iowa and such I remember reading one of the democratic candidates was in a library to have a town hall the same time as Michelle Obama, and everyone went to see her.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 03:45 PM)
So, in prep for tonight, I'd like to say that if Hillary's speech isn't the sharpest, harshest anti-McCain speech of the entire convention, it's a mistake.

I think the Clinton's would help the Dems better with a inspirational speech as to point out economic successes of the Democrat economic policies of the 90's. Then tie that into what Obama is going to do to improve the country economically. I understand that the hardcore Obama voters want blood and crazy attacks, but it's not working. The attacks on McCain are falling flat on their face, best to make the case that Obama has better ideas rather than just say McCain sucks.

Edited by mr_genius