Call Ups

Vance Law

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 12:34 PM)
Ah I see I see, that I definitely agree with.

Not so much here, but in other spots, people are thinking this player or that will be the difference maker, and that just seems so unrealistic to me. The greatest benefit could be extra rest for starters if somehow they clinched early, but I do not see an early clinch.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 12:51 PM)
I've never hoped for any production out of any call ups. If you are trying to win a division with AAA guys, you are in trouble. If you are out of the race, it's a nice chance to get some MLB looks, but when every game, every AB matters, it's just a nicer plane ride and a nicer locker room.

No one said anything about trying to win the division with the September call-ups... however, they sure do make a difference and add a lot to the team. Just because they are backups doesn't mean they don't contribute.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 01:48 PM)
Not trying to get ahead of myself, but how exactly does the playoff roster stuff work, how do you determine if you are elligible or not?

In general the rule is I think you need to be on a team's roster before the call ups to be eligible for the postseason roster. But it gets complex if someone goes on the Dl...if someone on the roster is no longer available then you get do to pretty much whatever shuffling with that spot you want.

I may be incorrect in this, but I think you have to atleast be on the 40-man roster come September 1st to be eligible. If the Sox signed Sammy Sosa right now, they wouldn't be able to use him in the postseason if they made it but they could obviously use him during the remainder of the regular season. I don't know what would happen if you had 16 people on the DL and you needed an extra body for the postseason, but I'm sure there are exceptions that would be made in an unrealistic scenario like that.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 03:51 PM)
No one said anything about trying to win the division with the September call-ups... however, they sure do make a difference and add a lot to the team. Just because they are backups doesn't mean they don't contribute.

You have me confused. If not to win the division, then what do they add a lot to and make a difference in what? How will they "add a lot" and "make a difference" if not to win games? Are you suggesting current starters will be rested and these guys will be playing? I don't see these guys getting much playing time if we are still in a tight race, which we are and will be, by all indications?

I would reword your post to say, they may make a small difference, and could possible contribute a little under the exact right circumstances, but Ozzie will lean on the guys that got him to this point, the guys he knows, and trusts. He will not take a chance that one of these guys will suddenly play better then the guy they have been behind all season.

But, after all it is Oz, and anything is possible

QUOTE (BearSox @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 01:51 PM)

Kruk made a good point on BBTN about this, suggesting that adding a lot of guys to a playoff contender can be a real distraction.