Sarah Palin

YASNY

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 08:46 AM)

I wonder if the Wa Post has a team of reporters going over Biden's expense reports? Considering he has been in office almost as long as Obama has been alove, I am sure there would be enough in there to keep them busy for a long time.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 08:23 AM)
I wonder if the Wa Post has a team of reporters going over Biden's expense reports? Considering he has been in office almost as long as Obama has been alove, I am sure there would be enough in there to keep them busy for a long time.

But no one knows squat about her. Biden has been in the public eye for decades.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 08:58 AM)
Juneau is the capital. If she is the governor, then I don't see the issue here.

isnt this kinda like the problem Blogo has with his family living in CHicago and him CONSTANTLY traveling to and from Chicago?

If you want to be the reformer who cuts government spending, then actually make the gutsy call and move.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:27 AM)
isnt this kinda like the problem Blogo has with his family living in CHicago and him CONSTANTLY traveling to and from Chicago?

If you want to be the reformer who cuts government spending, then actually make the gutsy call and move.

Even doing that, she still spent less the the guy she replaced. She even firer HIS personal chef that he kept. Maybe if she had a few book deals she could have afforded to buy a second house near the capital. Move? Has Obama moved to Washington since he has been in the Senate? He has been on record saying that he has 'only' one house.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 08:38 AM)
Even doing that, she still spent less the the guy she replaced. She even firer HIS personal chef that he kept. Maybe if she had a few book deals she could have afforded to buy a second house near the capital. Move? Has Obama moved to Washington since he has been in the Senate? He has been on record saying that he has 'only' one house.

He rents an apartment in Washington.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:27 AM)

I never had a problem with his travel costs. I only had a problem that his method of transportation was a private jet, billed to the state. if you are going to bill the state, then do something a little more efficient for such a relatively short trip - car, or amtrak perhaps.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:43 AM)
I never had a problem with his travel costs. I only had a problem that his method of transportation was a private jet, billed to the state. if you are going to bill the state, then do something a little more efficient for such a relatively short trip - car, or amtrak perhaps.

Even JOE takes Amtrak! Yeah, the jet thing was bad.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 08:45 AM)
But following ahb's suggestion, he should move.

no no no. Only if he is billing the government for personal transit back home every few weeks to see his family.

My problem is billing the government to go home and see family or for family to come see you.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:01 AM)
no no no. Only if he is billing the government for personal transit back home every few weeks to see his family.

My problem is billing the government to go home and see family or for family to come see you.

Hell, even in private business you get reimbursed for travel expenses, lodging, meals and costs to and from wherever they need to send you. What's the problem here?

QUOTE (YASNY @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:06 AM)
Hell, even in private business you get reimbursed for travel expenses, lodging, meals and costs to and from wherever they need to send you. What's the problem here?

The government isnt sending Obama back to chicago to see his family. and Alaska isnt sending the kids to see mommy. That's where i see the difference.

If Obama were traveling home to "meet the people" or whatever you want to say politicians do, then that's totally cool with me. I just dont see how sending the kids to and from home is "state business" worthy of billing the state.

Not to defend Sarah Palin (oooouuuuuch, the cockles of my heart hurt), but she does have a bunch of kids in school, maybe she didn't want to move them? And I may be wrong, but I don't think you can drive or take the train to Juneau from...well...anywhere.

I still don't like her, though.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:11 AM)
Not to defend Sarah Palin (oooouuuuuch, the cockles of my heart hurt), but she does have a bunch of kids in school, maybe she didn't want to move them? And I may be wrong, but I don't think you can drive or take the train to Juneau from...well...anywhere.

I still don't like her, though.

and like I said, that's totally fine. I get that. I'm not too sure I;d want to move my family of 5 either, but I would never bill the state to see my kids. That was MY choice I made when I ran, so I should foot the bill.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:10 AM)
The government isnt sending Obama back to chicago to see his family. and Alaska isnt sending the kids to see mommy. That's where i see the difference.

If Obama were traveling home to "meet the people" or whatever you want to say politicians do, then that's totally cool with me. I just dont see how sending the kids to and from home is "state business" worthy of billing the state.

I will bet you money that Barack Obama traveled back to Chicago plenty of times on the taxpayers dime. I would even guess that his family got paid for occasionally. From what it sounded like when the Pelosi stuff was raging, everyone does, just most fly commercially. It does get charged back to the taxpayers.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 10:13 AM)
and like I said, that's totally fine. I get that. I'm not too sure I;d want to move my family of 5 either, but I would never bill the state to see my kids. That was MY choice I made when I ran, so I should foot the bill.

The article also stated her secessionist husband was billing the state too. What's that all about?

More info regarding Alaska:

Of the 50 states, Alaska ranks No. 1 in taxes per resident and No. 1 in spending per resident. Its tax burden per resident is 2 1/2 times the national average; its spending, more than double. The trick is that Alaska's government spends money on its own citizens and taxes the rest of us to pay for it. Although Palin, like McCain, talks about liberating ourselves from dependence on foreign oil, there is no evidence that being dependent on Alaskan oil would be any more pleasant to the pocketbook.

Alaska is, in essence, an adjunct member of OPEC. It has four different taxes on oil, which produce more than 89% of the state's unrestricted revenue. On average, three-quarters of the value of a barrel of oil is taken by the state government before that oil is permitted to leave the state. Alaska residents each get a yearly check for about $2,000 from oil revenues, plus an additional $1,200 pushed through by Palin last year to take advantage of rising oil prices. Any sympathy the governor of Alaska expresses for folks in the lower 48 who are suffering from high gas prices or can't afford to heat their homes is strictly crocodile tears.

As if it couldn't support itself, Alaska also ranks No. 1, year after year, in money it sucks in from Washington. In 2005 (the most recent figures), according to the Tax Foundation, Alaska ranked 18th in federal taxes paid per resident ($5,434) but first in federal spending received per resident ($13,950). Its ratio of federal spending received to federal taxes paid ranks third among the 50 states, and in the absolute amount it receives from Washington over and above the amount it sends to Washington, Alaska ranks No. 1.

So much for her being an agent of change.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 10:14 AM)
I will bet you money that Barack Obama traveled back to Chicago plenty of times on the taxpayers dime. I would even guess that his family got paid for occasionally. From what it sounded like when the Pelosi stuff was raging, everyone does, just most fly commercially. It does get charged back to the taxpayers.

and that's not cool in my book. I dont think it's right no matter who is doing it.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:10 AM)

Oh hell, I should have looked at who I was quoting. I withdraw my question and will let it end here. Carry on with your agenda.

The Obama campaign keeps on the "Bridge to Nowhere" story in a statement from Tommy Vietor:

On the same day that dozens of news organizations have exposed Governor Palin’s phony Bridge to Nowhere claim as a "naked lie," her and John McCain continue to repeat the claim in their stump speeches. Maybe tomorrow she’ll tell us she sold it on eBay.

hehe

All senators home base is their home state and they travel on gov't dime. Congressman too. If they stayed in Washington year round they would never meet with constituents and would be considered to have potomac fever. It is in our best interests to pay for these trips. This is a dumb topic, and it pertains to everyone in the conversation (all actors in the topic not the posters)

QUOTE (YASNY @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 10:06 AM)

I do this several times a year. Usually lodging, sometimes meals, never travel even when you fly the same flight.