9/18 Sox vs. Bombers - 6:05 pm, WGN

The Ginger Kid

This much is clear...the White Sox are "dead man walking" offensively, and that doesn't promise to improve any at all with the type of pitching we're likely to encounter in the playoffs. It seems we are bound and determined to back into the playoffs rather than win it, but anything is possible I guess, after what we witnessed in 2005.

It will remarkable that a playoff team goes to the post-season with two combined wins against the Blue Jays and Yankees.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 19, 2008 -> 12:38 AM)
This much is clear...the White Sox are "dead man walking" offensively, and that doesn't promise to improve any at all with the type of pitching we're likely to encounter in the playoffs. It seems we are bound and determined to back into the playoffs rather than win it, but anything is possible I guess, after what we witnessed in 2005.

This team looks the same as so many other Sox teams did coming down the stretch. We just have to hope this Twins team chokes like previous ones didn't.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 11:40 PM)
finally now with the stakes up, Hawk gets a little critical of the players. Javy just then and yesterday, if he counts as a player, Mike Mac.

What did he say? Nice to see Glenn Perkins hit the wall. He's been awful lately.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 05:40 PM)
This team looks the same as so many other Sox teams did coming down the stretch. We just have to hope this Twins team chokes like previous ones didn't.

Recently, the 2001 team (14-29 at one point) was the only team that I could think of in recent Sox history which played better from mid-season on.

The 2002 and 2004 teams peaked early...same with 2006.

A little surprised to Phil Humber in the first inning...but Gardenhire doesn't have anything to lose, and he (Humber) was used as a starter in the minors (part of the Santana deal with the Mets) as far as I know.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 05:40 PM)
At this time in 2005, things were awful. Sox got hot with about 6 days left in the regular season, and rode the wave.

I'm not comparing this team to the 2005 squad, but just a little perspective. Things can change very quickly.

I'm with you on every point. We're not as good as that team, but if we get into a power surge, as we've been capable of doing at times this year, we can beat any team. Not saying probably but possible.

And better than 06 Cards.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 19, 2008 -> 12:40 AM)
At this time in 2005, things were awful. Sox got hot with about 6 days left in the regular season, and rode the wave.

I'm not comparing this team to the 2005 squad, but just a little perspective. Things can change very quickly.

We had a nice 3 game stretch vs the Twins at home when their lineup was just awful. Then we went to Detroit, and lost two heartbreakers. One was on a walkoff by Granderson, and then Blum hit into a game ending 1-2-3 DP. Thankfully, we won 16 of our next 17!!

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 04:41 PM)
clayton richard will be on the playoff roster, out of the bullpen, per ozzie just now

the quote i heard on the radio was prefaced w/ "if the playoffs started tomorrow..."

but i agree he has to be worked into that role as soon as he can pitch again and should stay there thru as far as we can take this thing. live arm.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 05:43 PM)
We had a nice 3 game stretch vs the Twins at home when their lineup was just awful. Then we went to Detroit, and lost two heartbreakers. One was on a walkoff by Granderson, and then Blum hit into a game ending 1-2-3 DP. Thankfully, we won 16 of our next 17!!

Not to mention the appearance of Joe Borchard, I think, before Blum.

I swear that ball that Jenks gave up gets a little more elevation (the game clincher) and you had the feeling the season was lost...that was a very nerve-wracking save!!!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 19, 2008 -> 12:48 AM)
Not to mention the appearance of Joe Borchard, I think, before Blum.

I swear that ball that Jenks gave up gets a little more elevation (the game clincher) and you had the feeling the season was lost...that was a very nerve-wracking save!!!

I remember leaving work to go watch the clincher at Outback Steakhouse. Crede botched a routine grounder, and you're right, Polanco's liner sure looked like a double.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 05:47 PM)
the quote i heard on the radio was prefaced w/ "if the playoffs started tomorrow..."

but i agree he has to be worked into that role as soon as he can pitch again and should stay there thru as far as we can take this thing. live arm.

Oh, how far the mighty (Boone Logan) have fallen. Does that mean they're planning to keep Horacio Ramirez AND Richard?