Sox Come to Terms With Ryan Sweeney

Chisoxfn

I paid $8 for a one month subscription to Cedar Rapids newspaper for this.

Here it is, he bailed on his team.

Sweeney to sign deal with White Sox

By John Riehl The Gazette Friday, July 11, 2003, 10:22:26 PM

CEDAR RAPIDS -- Ryan Sweeney had just finished practicing with his Cedar Rapids Xavier baseball teammates Thursday night when his phone rang. His father, Gary, was calling. He didn't need him to run an errand for the family before returning home. He had much bigger news than a simple request to pick up a gallon of milk.

"Dad called me on the phone and said, 'Congratulations, you're a White Sox.' I was like, 'Sweet,' " Ryan said.

Sweeney, a second-round pick (52nd overall) by the Chicago White Sox in the 2003 First-Year Player Draft, reached a contract agreement with the major-league organization Thursday night. Today, Sweeney will sign a professional contract, which features a $785,000 signing bonus and full college tuition, with the White Sox.

Sweeney, an outfielder, said a player always thinks he's worth more money than he gets. But he's happy with his signing bonus, which is more than six signed players who were drafted ahead of him in the second round, according to Baseball America.

Princeton University pitcher Thomas Pauly, who was picked one spot ahead of Sweeney, signed for $660,000. Former Iowa City High pitcher Zach Hammes, who was selected 51st in the 2002 draft, received a $750,000 signing bonus.

"They slotted $675,000 (for my pick) and I got more than that -- over $100,000 more," said Sweeney, who had the option of accepting a college scholarship to play for former major-leaguer Tony Gwynn at San Diego State.

"It's a big relief. It took a while, but I think it's all worth it in the end. I had the best both ways. I played a little of the high school season and now I can play in the minors."

But his Xavier career is over. Sweeney, who leaves his teammates with mixed emotions, didn't play for the Class 3A top-ranked Saints Friday against Cedar Rapids Washington.

Sweeney was batting .489 with nine home runs and 49 RBIs in 32 games. As a pitcher, he was 4-1 with 0.62 earned run average.

"He feels the guys can do it without him," Gary Sweeney said. "I hope they remember him and put his name on the state championship trophy."

Ryan Sweeney said, as of Friday afternoon, that the White Sox hadn't yet told him whether he'll report to their Rookie League team in Great Falls, Mont., or Bristol, Va.

Sweeney is ready to go wherever he'll be playing.

"I've been waiting for a long time for this to happen," Sweeney said.

The White Sox, who were surprised Sweeney was still around in the second round, feel they're getting a special player in the Iowa product.

"He's a great kid, very personable," White Sox scout Nathan Durst told MLB.com. "His confidence reminds me of (former first-round pick) Kris Honel, where Kris has the supreme confidence in his ability. Ryan has that as well. He has the chance to be an impact player."

"He feels the guys can do it without him," Gary Sweeney said. "I hope they remember him and put his name on the state championship trophy."

Oh sure, you bail on the team right before the playoffs and they're going to be certain to add your name? Well maybe, but I imagine that as happy as the guys are for him, at least a couple gave him a high one :fyou

Too bad the Iowa season is like that. We played in cold wet weather in Illinois and I thought Wisconsin did as well. I recall some exhibition games against Kenosha or Racine.

I hope he pans out. Is the college scholarship for if he get's cut or can he try and do both? Anyone know how those things work? I imagine the club throws them in knowing .003% of the guys may actually use it.

Oh sure, you bail on the team right before the playoffs and they're going to be certain to add your name? Well maybe, but I imagine that as happy as the guys are for him, at least a couple gave him a high one  :fyou

Too bad the Iowa season is like that. We played in cold wet weather in Illinois and I thought Wisconsin did as well. I recall some exhibition games against Kenosha or Racine.

I hope he pans out. Is the college scholarship for if he get's cut or can he try and do both? Anyone know how those things work? I imagine the club throws them in knowing .003% of the guys may actually use it.

It's been awhile since I have had friends that signed, but generally the college money is for the player if he doesn't make it to the Majors within a specified time. It may be different now, I am not sure.

Oh sure, you bail on the team right before the playoffs and they're going to be certain to add your name? Well maybe, but I imagine that as happy as the guys are for him, at least a couple gave him a high one  :fyou

I am sorry but I think that is incredibly selfish. Sweeney has a once in a lifetime opportunity to become a major league baseball player. I can't see holding him back.

I am sorry but I think that is incredibly selfish. Sweeney has a once in a lifetime opportunity to become a major league baseball player. I can't see holding him back.

and what happens if he get hurt and maybe ruin his career in a hs game?