Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 08:27 AM)
I never said they weren't elite, but I don't think their in the top 10 programs of the last decade. They've played second fiddle to UNC for the better part of this century. And take away their lofted seedings and I think they'd be a good but not great team.

What seed do you think they deserve this year. They are looking at a 3 seed at this point. A 4 at worst is about as low as anyone can logically go. Again I despise Duke, but finding more then 12 to 16 teams with a better resume (3 & 4 seeds) this year is not going to happen.

Now, with their limitations every team they face will have a crack at taking them out early, and hopefully that happens again.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 08:53 AM)
What seed do you think they deserve this year. They are looking at a 3 seed at this point. A 4 at worst is about as low as anyone can logically go. Again I despise Duke, but finding more then 12 to 16 teams with a better resume (3 & 4 seeds) this year is not going to happen.

Now, with their limitations every team they face will have a crack at taking them out early, and hopefully that happens again.

I'd go with a 4 at best. 13-16 in the country sounds about right to me. Who have they beaten? I know they beat Purdue at Purdue way back in the first month of the season. A couple of wins over Florida State. Lunardi has them as a 2 right now, which is insane.

Again, i'm not saying they're a bad team. But overrated in the sense that they're not going to be competing for a final four spot, as their seeding would indicate.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 09:24 AM)
I'd go with a 4 at best. 13-16 in the country sounds about right to me. Who have they beaten? I know they beat Purdue at Purdue way back in the first month of the season. A couple of wins over Florida State. Lunardi has them as a 2 right now, which is insane.

Again, i'm not saying they're a bad team. But overrated in the sense that they're not going to be competing for a final four spot, as their seeding would indicate.

He had them as a #2 on March 6, before the Carolina loss. Not a current #2 by Lunardi they just haven't updated it since the weekend. They were #2 in rpi rankings before they played Carolina, how could a #2 rpi be a 4 seed at that point? Duke's 25 wins are every bit as solid as the teams around them. Who have the teams directly above and below them beat that is more impressive, like Michigan State. If you don't think Duke has quality wins thats fine, but you will be hard pressed to objectively have them lower then a three and no way below a 4 at this point.

I don't equate a upset with not deserving the seed. The seed is on regular season performance, maybe if it was a 3 game series each round okay, but in a one and done format teams will go down to teams who were worse in the regular season quite often. If Mich. St. goes down in the big 10 tourney it doesen't mean they weren't deserving of the top seed. The same goes for the NCAA. Results will vary in a one and done, but the seeds for the tourney reflect only the regular season performance. As a 3 seed they would be expected to lose in the sweet sixteen though, so the seed wouldn't expect national title contention.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 09:24 AM)

Lunardi has his latest out. Duke is a 3 along with Wake Forest, Villanova, and Washington. 4's Mizzou UCLA, Clemson, and Xavier. I don't know but do you really think Duke's season was more like the 4's then the 3's. Hell, they split with Wake losing at the buzzer on the road, and they finished ahead of Clemson from the same conference. I don't think they are getting any favors. They are super vulnerable to almost any first round matchup though.

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 02:08 PM)
Lunardi has his latest out. Duke is a 3 along with Wake Forest, Villanova, and Washington. 4's Mizzou UCLA, Clemson, and Xavier. I don't know but do you really think Duke's season was more like the 4's then the 3's. Hell, they split with Wake losing at the buzzer on the road, and they finished ahead of Clemson from the same conference. I don't think they are getting any favors. They are super vulnerable to almost any first round matchup though.

I am the most loyal KU fan in the world, they have no reason to be a 2 seed.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 01:18 PM)
I am the most loyal KU fan in the world, they have no reason to be a 2 seed.

This '08-'09 team did better in conference (2 losses) than the Jayhawks' national championship team last year, they very much deserve a No. 2 seed at this point. There are plenty of ramblings going around on if they continue to go on and win the Big XII tourney, they still have an outside shot at a No.1 seed. Many people thinking 1 conference will not get two No.1's this year.

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 01:29 PM)
This '08-'09 team did better in conference (2 losses) than the Jayhawks' national championship team last year, they very much deserve a No. 2 seed at this point. There are plenty of ramblings going around on if they continue to go on and win the Big XII tourney, they still have an outside shot at a No.1 seed. Many people thinking 1 conference will not get two No.1's this year.

The Big East will almost certainly get 2 #1 seeds, maybe even 3. I have not heard of Kansas getting any real consideration for a #1 seed. Oklahoma, Louisville, Memphis, even Michigan State I've heard bantered about, but 2 is as high as I've heard Kansas mentioned.

Bracketology 101 is another good site that actually has a bit better record for seeds then Lunardi does. I think they had 40 seeds exact last year.

Lunardi was on ESPN radio a bit ago and he said the usually for show conference tournaments take on more meaning this year. Right now he has 8 big 10 teams in, but he said there is zero chance for 8 to make it by next Sunday. almost all are possible bubble teams (except Mich.St., Illinois, & Purdue) and they all need to win which is impossible, because most will matchup with each other. The solid but not strong makeup of the big 10 will make for a very meaningful matchup at almost everygame.

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 02:29 PM)

I just spit my drink up when you said number 1 seed. They also did not have to go on the road to Texas, Ok State and did not have to face a Michael Beasley on the road. Yes, we had a better record, but against way easier competition, and a major break(Griffin Injury)

I realize this teams has gotten progressively better over the year, but number 1 seed talk is just ridic.

As a KU fan, this year is like playing with the house's money. I did not expect them to compete for a Big 12 title, nor make that much damage in the NCAA tourney. The run to the Big 12 Championship shows the amazing coaching by Self. If this team reaches the Sweet 16,I will chalk it up to a sweet rebuilding year.

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 02:35 PM)
How can you say KU deserves a #1?

Didnt MSU beat KU by 13 points?

So unless MSU some how gets a 1 seed, I cant imagine KU getting one.

http://www.collegerpi.com/cy/rpi.html

MSU- 25-5, beat KU has a stronger SOS and RPI.

KU- 25-6, lost to MSU.

Damn, who would have thought the win over Washington would have been KU's best of the season. I do not consider Mizzou a national power at all, and OU is not considered due to Griffin's injury....and what the hell happened to Old Rocky Top.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 03:01 PM)
I just spit my drink up when you said number 1 seed. They also did not have to go on the road to Texas, Ok State and did not have to face a Michael Beasley on the road. Yes, we had a better record, but against way easier competition, and a major break(Griffin Injury)

I realize this teams has gotten progressively better over the year, but number 1 seed talk is just ridic.

As a KU fan, this year is like playing with the house's money. I did not expect them to compete for a Big 12 title, nor make that much damage in the NCAA tourney. The run to the Big 12 Championship shows the amazing coaching by Self. If this team reaches the Sweet 16,I will chalk it up to a sweet rebuilding year.

WOuld you be entirely surprised if they exited early either? Its possible KU is very good, but also that the Big 12 is just very down.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 03:05 PM)
WOuld you be entirely surprised if they exited early either? Its possible KU is very good, but also that the Big 12 is just very down.

I would not be shocked if they did not get out of the first weekend, this team is young and inexperienced. If Sherron has an off day, they are in big trouble. Though, Tyshawn Taylor has improved more than any KU freshman I can remember.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)

I know the feeling, it reminds me a lot of my Tarheels in '06 and the job Roy did after losing over 90% of the minutes and points from their national championship team. It still sucked when they were eliminated though even though it was house money. George Mason in the second round (after upsetting Michigan State already) didn't seem as bad after they kept rolling to the four.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 02:35 PM)
How can you say KU deserves a #1?

Didnt MSU beat KU by 13 points?

So unless MSU some how gets a 1 seed, I cant imagine KU getting one.

http://www.collegerpi.com/cy/rpi.html

MSU- 25-5, beat KU has a stronger SOS and RPI.

KU- 25-6, lost to MSU.

I don't see where I said KU deserves to be a NO. 1 seed, so I'm not sure how to answer that part of your question. The so-called experts on the other hand, I'm sure would be happy to answer your question. I've heard Bob Knight mention it, as well as Andy Katz..... the nationwide college hoops media very much loves Kansas right now.

As for your other questions, yes Michigan State beat Kansas, I watched that dreadful game. Michigan State also lost to Northwestern on the same floor as they beat Kansas on. Whoops.

Edited by watchtower41

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)
I don't see where I said KU deserves to be a NO. 1 seed, so I'm not sure how to answer that part of your question. The so-called experts on the other hand, I'm sure would be happy to answer your question. I've heard Bob Knight mention it, as well as Andy Katz..... the nationwide college hoops media very much loves Kansas right now.

As for your other questions, yes Michigan State beat Kansas, I watched that dreadful game. Michigan State also lost to Northwestern on the same floor as they beat Kansas on. Whoops.

:unsure:

Then again, I didn't trust such a claim to pick up much steam on a thread like this anyways where 98.9% of the posters despise Kansas.

I do enjoy that much of the negativity comes form the few that completely laughed off Kansas locking in a 2 seed when they beat Oklahoma on the road though. Unfortunate I didn't take any action on that call along with the Big XII championship. There is no such thing as a re-building year in Lawrence. Save that for Champaign.

Edited by watchtower41

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 08:27 AM)
I never said they weren't elite, but I don't think their in the top 10 programs of the last decade. They've played second fiddle to UNC for the better part of this century. And take away their lofted seedings and I think they'd be a good but not great team.

There is no criteria in which Duke is not a top 10 program this decade. No team has been to as many sweet 16s since 2000. That shows their consistency. If you want to talk about being elite, only 5 programs have been to more Final 4s (Kansas, Florida, Michigan State, UCLA, UNC). Hatred aside, Duke is a top 10 program this decade. Get over it, move on.

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 03:15 PM)
There is no such thing as a re-building year in Lawrence. Save that for Champaign.

LOL, so what was that 2-year period where Kansas couldn't get by Bradley and Bucknell in the first round?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 04:47 PM)
There is no criteria in which Duke is not a top 10 program this decade. No team has been to as many sweet 16s since 2000. That shows their consistency. If you want to talk about being elite, only 5 programs have been to more Final 4s (Kansas, Florida, Michigan State, UCLA, UNC). Hatred aside, Duke is a top 10 program this decade. Get over it, move on.

Meh. Except for beating cupcakes and getting lofted seeding they haven't done much. I'd say they've had about 3 good years in the last decade and the rest have been more hype than substance. But that's just me.

As a Big 12 fan, I can honestly say this was the worst year for the conference that I can remember.

When Texas or Kansas doesn't step foward with a Final Four type squad, the conference is extremely mediocre.

I thought OU would be that dominant team this year, but they have even had their struggles internally.

It's not SEC bad this year, but it's very average.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 08:53 PM)
The problem is that if they do over turn it then they open themselves up to having to review any taped game where someone receives two technical fouls. This is why it is a stupid rule to begin with. But really, that call is so bad (at least from what can be seen on the video) that it makes you wonder if the ref had an ulterior motive.

Wow, looks like they have reversed the suspension. Richmond will be allowed to play tomorrow.

http://yourseason.suntimes.com/1468056,030...ll-play.article

Toney Douglas should be POY in the ACC, but he won't be. Lawson will get it despite playing no defense and having a team full of great talent. FSU basketball is Toney Douglas. Without him we would have been 10th in the ACC like everyone predicted.