Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Bones @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 05:42 PM)
A question for other Illinois fans like myself. Why didn't Illinois press more? They've had success with it previously (Northwestern). I've tried to forget about this loss by saying WKU was just the better team and I think they were in the first half when they were hitting their shots. But the way Illinois played in the last 5 minutes leads me to believe that this could have been a win for Illinois. If they had put it on for a few minutes in the first half to throw WKU's rhythm off it might have helped. It seems Bruce is sometimes too stubborn to change things up and won't use it until desperation time when it was too late.

Oh well, we have good recruits coming in the next few years and we certainly exceeded my expectations this year. It's just tough for a program like Illinois to go three straight years without winning a game in the NCAA Tournament...especially when we had 2 games that were very winnable. Hopefully, we see Chester in some type of assistant role soon. I was really hoping they could win for him...such a tough way for him to go out.

They don't have great depth and presses tend to be more effective late in games because other teams are trying to ice the game and tend not to attack it. A press earlier may have worked but it also could have easily resulted in a ton of layups and dunks for WKU.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)
lol

They had 4 seeds above 7, which means those 4 should have won their game. The only "upset" was an 8/9 game.

If Missouri, KU or OU had lost it would have been the biggest upset so far in this tournament. Not to mention of the other 4 games only 2 were against power conferences (Minnesota and Tenn) and the Tenn game came down to the final seconds.

For the most part the top 3 big 12 teams have pretty easy draws for the first 2 rounds, so we will see what happens in the sweet 16. The Big 12 has to get 3 teams in the sweet 16 or else its a failure compared to their seeding.

It would be different if the Big 12 was seeded like the Big 10, only having 1 seed above a 5.

You can bash the Big 12 all you want, but they went 3/3 in losable games. They deserve some credit for that.

How is that bashing them?

They were higher seeds in almost every game, those are games you should win.

Yes Texas/Minnesota was losable, but Minnesota barely made the tournament.

I stand by my statement, if the Big 12 is as good as it claims, they should have 3 teams in the Sweet 16 and 2 in the Elite 8.

If they can accomplish that, theyll get all the credit they deserve.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 07:27 PM)
I stand by my statement, if the Big 12 is as good as it claims, they should have 3 teams in the Sweet 16 and 2 in the Elite 8.

If they can accomplish that, theyll get all the credit they deserve.

How good has the Big 12 claimed to be?

Well ive seen people say that KU was arguably a 1 seed.

It has one 2 seed and two 3 seeds, which means that 25% of the top 12 teams are from the Big 12.

As a comparison,

ACC has one 1 seed and one 2 seed.

Big East has three 1 seeds and two 3 seeds.

So in terms of what conferences have the most top ranked teams:

Big east 5, Big 12 3, ACC 2.

So to me that suggests the Big 12 was the second best conference and that in order to prove those rankings legitimate they need to get 3 in the top 16 and at minimum 1 in the top 8.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 07:40 PM)
So to me that suggests the Big 12 was the second best conference and that in order to prove those rankings legitimate they need to get 3 in the top 16 and at minimum 1 in the top 8.

Good thing the world doesn't work that way and teams are seeded based on individual resumes and not filling out conference quotas.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 08:23 PM)
Their resume was largely based on beating in conference teams.

And what does the world have to do with my opinion?

Their resumes were largely based on that, but 3 teams doesn't make a conference.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 10:26 AM)
What games are everyone looking foward to viewing today?

Really looking forward to LSU/NC. LSU can give NC all kinds of problems with their length/athleticism.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 10:40 AM)
Would love for Michigan to win and move on, but I went out on a limb to be different and have Oklahoma winning it all.

Why the hell not? My bracket was shredded when CS put WF outta their pathetic misery.

As long as Duke loses, it will be a good day.

Don't fret. Even if they beat Texas, they most certainly won't get by 'Nova/UCLA.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 12:04 PM)
Where is Marcus Jordan going to college?

Hasn't committed anywhere. I don't think is too highly touted. He was awesome in the 2nd hald last night against Thornton.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 11:26 AM)
What games are everyone looking foward to viewing today?

Texas/Duke...For my bracket's sake, i've gotta cheer for Duke.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 12:19 PM)
Hasn't committed anywhere. I don't think is too highly touted. He was awesome in the 2nd hald last night against Thornton.

It's a shame, IIRC he's better than his brother.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 01:34 PM)
It's a shame, IIRC he's better than his brother.

He's ok. He'll find a mid major to go to. I have never really seen him have a good shooting game. Very strong to the hole though.

He faces off against Jereme Richmond tonight for the state title.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 08:02 PM)
He's ok. He'll find a mid major to go to. I have never really seen him have a good shooting game. Very strong to the hole though.

He faces off against Jereme Richmond tonight for the state title.

Very entertaining basketball at the IHSA championships. Marcus Jordan actually played superb basketball. As for Richmond...I know I'm biased, but he has the worst body language of any high recruit I've seen on a basketball court. This article basically sums it up:

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/x599207872/No...ose-their-heads

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)
Very entertaining basketball at the IHSA championships. Marcus Jordan actually played superb basketball. As for Richmond...I know I'm biased, but he has the worst body language of any high recruit I've seen on a basketball court. This article basically sums it up:

He's obviously spoiled and realizes how good he is, I won't argue that. He probably will also only be at Illinois only one year as well, two tops. I think he's worth the "hassle" though, if you want to call it that, because he's an amazing talent.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)

What a garbage article. The whole team was down in the dumps when they were down 17. I was at center court and saw it. Richmond helped fuel the comeback. He tried getting to the hole, got to the line a bunch of times, and was down low trying to rebound and block shots like always.

I'm guessing the guy has seen Richmond play once, maybe twice. I saw him play about 10 times this year and some people mistake his demeanor for laziness, I thought the same thing last year. He turned it around big time this year.

His demeanor when they were down 17 was the same look he had dribbling up before hitting a 40 foot jumper to win the sectional.

Again, I was saying last year that Richmond was so overrated, but this year he has developed a jump shot. Both 3 point range and mid range.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)
What a garbage article. The whole team was down in the dumps when they were down 17. I was at center court and saw it. Richmond helped fuel the comeback. He tried getting to the hole, got to the line a bunch of times, and was down low trying to rebound and block shots like always.

I'm guessing the guy has seen Richmond play once, maybe twice. I saw him play about 10 times this year and some people mistake his demeanor for laziness, I thought the same thing last year. He turned it around big time this year.

His demeanor when they were down 17 was the same look he had dribbling up before hitting a 40 foot jumper to win the sectional.

Again, I was saying last year that Richmond was so overrated, but this year he has developed a jump shot. Both 3 point range and mid range.

If a group of Illinois basketball players saved some kids from a burning bus, fathom would probably find a way to be critical of them, so keep that in mind.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 08:24 PM)
If a group of Illinois basketball players saved some kids from a burning bus, fathom would probably find a way to be critical of them, so keep that in mind.

I've said a few times now that Frazier seems like a great guy, while Mike Davis has the potential to be the best interior player for the Illini since Deon Thomas. With that said, Richmond's demeanor on the court is pathetic. My parents are actually Illini fans, and they couldn't believe his actions on the court when we saw him live last year.

Note: I checked some of the Illini message boards, and I see I'm not the only person saying this about Richmond's antics last night.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 03:31 PM)
I've said a few times now that Frazier seems like a great guy, while Mike Davis has the potential to be the best interior player for the Illini since Deon Thomas. With that said, Richmond's demeanor on the court is pathetic. My parents are actually Illini fans, and they couldn't believe his actions on the court when we saw him live last year.

What kind of "demeanor" should he have? I keep thinking back to Bobby Knights' "game face" rant.