Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 08:55 PM)
Henry can't go anywhere, as he's already signed a LOI. Cousins, as you stated, most definitely would probably follow Cal to Kentucky.

Kentucky would probably jump to the front of the class for John Wall as well.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

Talked to Solomon Alabi after class today and he said Hansbrough is tougher than Thabeet based on his experiences playing against the two. I thought that was a little interesting.

Also, I got my laugh for the week as Hamilton has been rumored for the UGA job. I don't know what's funnier, the fact he would go to another rebuilding team or the fact that UGA wants him. Don't get me wrong though, I love Ham as a person. He's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 11:09 AM)
Talked to Solomon Alabi after class today and he said Hansbrough is tougher than Thabeet based on his experiences playing against the two. I thought that was a little interesting.

Also, I got my laugh for the week as Hamilton has been rumored for the UGA job. I don't know what's funnier, the fact he would go to another rebuilding team or the fact that UGA wants him. Don't get me wrong though, I love Ham as a person. He's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

When has Alabi played against Thabeet?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 11:44 AM)
When has Alabi played against Thabeet?

He said some summer thing a couple of years ago (before Alabi hurt his leg). It might have been U-18 or one of those Big Men camps. That could mean that Thabeet wasn't fully developed, but I still thought it was interesting.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 12:35 PM)
He said some summer thing a couple of years ago (before Alabi hurt his leg). It might have been U-18 or one of those Big Men camps. That could mean that Thabeet wasn't fully developed, but I still thought it was interesting.

Well if it was a couple years ago I wouldnt really look into it. 2 years ago when Thabeet was a freshmen he wasnt nearly the player he is now. At that point, he had only been playing basketball for two years so that wouldnt surprise me if Hansbrough was tougher at that point.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 06:18 PM)
Add Henry (if he can still go to UK) and Cousins (if he does go) plus Meeks (if he stays) and that black hole suddenly is gone.

I have no idea what that means, but its clear since Adolf was there that tenure is hard to come by at UK.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 08:16 PM)
I have no idea what that means, but its clear since Adolf was there that tenure is hard to come by at UK.

It means that Meeks + Cousins and/or Henry + Patterson is much better then Meeks, Patterson, and that smug jerkoff Gillepsie.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 05:40 PM)
Apparently, Henry has an out in his LOI stating that if Calipari were to leave, he would be able to leave the school without any problems. I've heard this from different sources. The thing is though, does Kentucky even have enough scholarships with Meeks and Patterson both staying?

No, but keep in mind scholarships are technically reviewed every year, so there is a way around that. It would be pretty scandelous, but it could be done. I know of one coach of a prominent collegiate team in the midwest who used this loophole to get around keeping players who he considered not good enough when he first got to his new job years ago, and I know he's not the only guy to do something like that. Then again, this was a football coach, and something like that is a lot easier to do with 85 scholarships than it is 13.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

NCAA can't let those kind of agreemants stand. Otherwise the coaches have ALL of the power. They can move about freely if they don't get enough money and bring their players with them. Pretty absurd. Henry should be able to attend any of the other 323 D-1 schools, but not Kentucky.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 07:50 PM)
NCAA can't let those kind of agreemants stand. Otherwise the coaches have ALL of the power. They can move about freely if they don't get enough money and bring their players with them. Pretty absurd. Henry should be able to attend any of the other 323 D-1 schools, but not Kentucky.

As long as the coaches have control of what personnel is on their team (which they obviously do with recruiting) and are the only ones getting paid out in the open (although we all know that most players at bigger programs get something under the table), they do have all of the power.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Apr 5, 2009 -> 12:11 AM)
Looks like Gerald Henderson is leaving Duke as well, very good night for me :-).

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-...-Part-One--3164

Kickass.

Congrats to you guys. My experience with Heel fans has always been a positive one (especially in Atlanta this year). I hope you guys win on Monday.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Apr 4, 2009 -> 11:45 PM)
Kickass.

Congrats to you guys. My experience with Heel fans has always been a positive one (especially in Atlanta this year). I hope you guys win on Monday.

Thanks chimpy. There are plenty of douchebag UNC fans, they feel like they own the world. I try to stay humble through it all.

DETROIT -- The Memphis coaching search has turned into a complete mess , and sources have said the name bouncing around most at this moment belongs to Florida State's Leonard Hamilton, which would be fine, I guess. He can get players, and assistant Stan Jones (a former Memphian) can help coach them. So that might be OK -- although I'd be skeptical of hiring a 60-year-old man to rebuild my program, but maybe I'm just stupid.

Ugh. I don't mind it except I don't want to lose Snaer. Outside of that, I would love to see what a good X's and O's guy could do here with the talent. That seems like such a bad choice for Memphis though if true.

FedEx Jet: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N9FE

Edited by chimpy2121

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Apr 5, 2009 -> 03:03 PM)
Ugh. I don't mind it except I don't want to lose Snaer. Outside of that, I would love to see what a good X's and O's guy could do here with the talent. That seems like such a bad choice for Memphis though if true.

FedEx Jet: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N9FE

I feel the same way about Bruce Pearl. I was hoping Memphis or some other team would steal him away, so we could hire an actual good X's and O's guy to see what could be done with our talent. Unfortunately, he just restructured his 6-year deal and doesn't look to be leaving any time soon.