Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 08:24 PM)
If a group of Illinois basketball players saved some kids from a burning bus, fathom would probably find a way to be critical of them, so keep that in mind.

Would they have to call Wayne McClain and ask them what they should do next? :lol:

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 08:33 PM)
What kind of "demeanor" should he have? I keep thinking back to Bobby Knights' "game face" rant.

Complaining about every single call to the refs, shaking his head every time a teammate misses a shot, refusing to run back on defense when his other 4 teammates are to name a few. I still can't believe though that Marcus Jordan was the best player this weekend. Pretty impressive for him to deliver in the biggest spotlight he's faced. I wonder if he'll get new offers from bigger schools. They said last night he's between Oklahoma, Toledo, and Davidson.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 03:37 PM)
Complaining about every single call to the refs, shaking his head every time a teammate misses a shot, refusing to run back on defense when his other 4 teammates are to name a few.

He's a block and rebounding machine. He gets back plenty. Must be doing something right as he will probably win Mr. Basketball. Seriously? Down on a kid cuz he shakes his head when someone misses a shot? What player doesn't do that?

Last night was frustrating for the whole team. Anyone who judges him based on last nights game is wrong.

The refs last night were inconsistent all night. At times they would call ticky tack fouls on either team between arcs and not call fouls down low. Young was complaining all night to the refs.

The thing about Jordan is that his shot looks so flat out of his hand but he hits it. I thought everyone of his 4 free throws in the 4th were bricks on his release but they just get over the front of the rim. Odd.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 07:27 PM)
I stand by my statement, if the Big 12 is as good as it claims, they should have 3 teams in the Sweet 16 and 2 in the Elite 8.

If they can accomplish that, theyll get all the credit they deserve.

Phase 2 completed. 3 teams in the Sweet 16. A&M got slaughtered, but Ok. St. and Texas put up damn good fights against heavy favorites. 6 of the top 32 and 3 of the sweet 16, pretty good for one conference. The Big East does have five teams in the Sweet 16, that's ridiculous. Still, the Big 12 is doing well for themselves.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 12:37 AM)
LOL at Ben Howland complaining about his location for his games. UCLA has not left the state of California for 4 years it seems(outside of final four). How bout dem apples, whiner

That's funny. UCLA's sites the past three years? San Diego, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Anaheim. Shut the f*** up Ben.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 12:37 AM)
LOL at Ben Howland complaining about his location for his games. UCLA has not left the state of California for 4 years it seems(outside of final four). How bout dem apples, whiner

Um, Ben, you were a six seed. If you wanted to play close to home, your teams should have manned up, won the pac-10, and earned a top four seed...

Sooo. Evan Turner said he is coming back to OSU next year. I'll believe it when i see it, but it would be nice to have the top conference player back in the fold. With Turner and Buford, we should contend. Im 100 percent sure Mullens is jumping to the NBA for a career of reserve minutes.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 12:07 PM)
Sooo. Evan Turner said he is coming back to OSU next year. I'll believe it when i see it, but it would be nice to have the top conference player back in the fold. With Turner and Buford, we should contend. Im 100 percent sure Mullens is jumping to the NBA for a career of reserve minutes.

Is that PJ Hill gone, he seems like he is not very good.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 12:55 PM)
Is that PJ Hill gone, he seems like he is not very good.

He's back. He's the best PG we have. He was a JUCO transfer. Crater was supposed to be the PG in waiting, but he threw a hissy and left. They have zero committs for next year and 2010 has a bunch of SG's. Matta really needs to hustle to get a PG in there fast. He thought Conley would be a 4 year player.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 12:07 PM)

Turner has a tough decision, because he will become a better player if he stays another year or two at Ohio State so it would be a good decision in that sense, but it would probably be a bad financial decision because he won't go as high in either of the next two drafts simply because this draft class is so incredibly bad. Buford in theory is in the same position, although he was only a freshman this year he would have more room for improvement. I believe both are projected as consensus first round picks in 2010 anyways though, so maybe the decision isn't as hard as I think it is.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 02:14 PM)
Turner has a tough decision, because he will become a better player if he stays another year or two at Ohio State so it would be a good decision in that sense, but it would probably be a bad financial decision because he won't go as high in either of the next two drafts simply because this draft class is so incredibly bad. Buford in theory is in the same position, although he was only a freshman this year he would have more room for improvement. I believe both are projected as consensus first round picks in 2010 anyways though, so maybe the decision isn't as hard as I think it is.

He could just as easily become a better player by going pro and playing against the best in the world on a nightly basis and he would also be getting paid to do it. There really isn't any advantage to sticking around college if you are a sure fire first round draft choice.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 02:42 PM)
He could just as easily become a better player by going pro and playing against the best in the world on a nightly basis and he would also be getting paid to do it. There really isn't any advantage to sticking around college if you are a sure fire first round draft choice.

He's looking at late first, early second from what I've seen projected. If he continues his progression, leads the Big Ten or is top 3 in eery category like he was close to this season, and is a all american, he could go lottery next year. He's a 6'7" slasher and should only improve his stock IMO, especially if he adds an outside shot and some defense.

Buford has nowhere to go but up. He cant play a lick of defense at this point. The Bucks get Lightly and Kecman back next season which will help the team overall as well.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 02:49 PM)
He's looking at late first, early second from what I've seen projected. If he continues his progression, leads the Big Ten or is top 3 in eery category like he was close to this season, and is a all american, he could go lottery next year. He's a 6'7" slasher and should only improve his stock IMO, especially if he adds an outside shot and some defense.

Buford has nowhere to go but up. He cant play a lick of defense at this point. The Bucks get Lightly and Kecman back next season which will help the team overall as well.

If you aren't a sure fire first round pick I don't think it is wise to go pro. If you are a sure fire first round pick there is really no reason to stay in school unless you really want to win a championship. If Turner doesn't hear he is a sure fire first round pick he should stay, if he is a lock for the 1st round he should go. Same with Buford and any other player.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 03:00 PM)
If you aren't a sure fire first round pick I don't think it is wise to go pro. If you are a sure fire first round pick there is really no reason to stay in school unless you really want to win a championship. If Turner doesn't hear he is a sure fire first round pick he should stay, if he is a lock for the 1st round he should go. Same with Buford and any other player.

Hence why Mullens is going even though he clearly isnt ready to contribute.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 05:25 PM)
I think Turner would go some where in the late teens or early twenties.

I know that Id love to see Turner playing with Rose the next few years.

I dont know, he literally cannot shoot from farther than 15-16 feet. He will get to the free throw line ALOT in the NBA though. And he's an 80+percenter from the line.

QUOTE (The Bones @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 05:42 PM)
A question for other Illinois fans like myself. Why didn't Illinois press more? They've had success with it previously (Northwestern). I've tried to forget about this loss by saying WKU was just the better team and I think they were in the first half when they were hitting their shots. But the way Illinois played in the last 5 minutes leads me to believe that this could have been a win for Illinois. If they had put it on for a few minutes in the first half to throw WKU's rhythm off it might have helped. It seems Bruce is sometimes too stubborn to change things up and won't use it until desperation time when it was too late.

Oh well, we have good recruits coming in the next few years and we certainly exceeded my expectations this year. It's just tough for a program like Illinois to go three straight years without winning a game in the NCAA Tournament...especially when we had 2 games that were very winnable. Hopefully, we see Chester in some type of assistant role soon. I was really hoping they could win for him...such a tough way for him to go out.

The problem with the Illini was simple, for about 20 minutes a game, they couldn`t hit the ocean with North America. Case closed.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)
He's obviously spoiled and realizes how good he is, I won't argue that. He probably will also only be at Illinois only one year as well, two tops. I think he's worth the "hassle" though, if you want to call it that, because he's an amazing talent.

Why do I think if you pulled down his trousers, he`d have "Alex Legion" tatooed on his butt.