Trading Vazquez a "priority"

witesoxfan

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...T-sox31.article

Several sources confirmed that topping the offseason priority list for Sox general manager Ken Williams is trading Vazquez, who has two years and $23 million left on his contract.

Williams didn't comment, but the Sun-Times has learned there's hope that a deal involving Vazquez could fill a vacancy at either second or third base with the departures of Joe Crede and Orlando Cabrera to free agency.

it's from Cowley, so TIFWIW, but this doesn't surprise me in the least to be quite honest

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 10:42 AM)
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...T-sox31.article

it's from Cowley, so TIFWIW, but this doesn't surprise me in the least to be quite honest

Not surprising, but Cowley is only write a fraction of the time on these sorts of things. That tells me he's apt to just fling s*** at the wall. Some of it will stick.

Being a beat writer means walking the fine line between penetrating analysis, and friendly access to the team. I get the impression that Cowley has pissed off a few too many Sox folks, has lost a lot of access, and therefore doesn't hesitate to do this sort of thing.

To the Brewers for Weeks or Hardy?

To the M's for Beltre?

To the O's for Brian Roberts?

A lot of possibilities here, but if Vaz was dealt, we'd need to sign a SP to replace him, and I'd look to do better than Freddy Garcia FWIW.

If Vazquez is traded to the Brewers, I don't take Weeks as much more than a throw-in. He's talented as hell, but he's without a position right now - he'd almost certainly have to be moved to CF - and he's been a pretty mediocre player most of the time he's been on the field. There's an offer the Brewers could make that would be interesting involving Weeks and not Hardy, but I'm just not sure the Sox could make it. If he does trade Vazquez, KW will be creative about it.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 12:50 PM)
he's not going to bring a whole lot with his salary.

Compare that to what some SP's on the FA market may get though.

Still the Brewers may decide just to sign a Jon Garland type of pitcher for instance, but they're a team that likes to keep their draft picks also.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 11:51 AM)
Compare that to what some SP's on the FA market may get though.

Still the Brewers may decide just to sign a Jon Garland type of pitcher for instance, but they're a team that likes to keep their draft picks also.

They will keep their draft picks if they signed Garland. I don't know what type of contract Garland will get, but I'm pretty sure if he qualified, he was a Type B free agent, meaning Anaheim would just get an extra sandwich pick.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 11:53 AM)
This isn't a surprise....you can't have your organization basically call you out for being a coward, prove them right, and expect to bring the player back the next year. I bet we'll see a Vazquez for Weeks trade made in the next few weeks.

with the intention of having him play 2B or CF?

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 12:53 PM)
This isn't a surprise....you can't have your organization basically call you out for being a coward, prove them right, and expect to bring the player back the next year. I bet we'll see a Vazquez for Weeks trade made in the next few weeks.

I would take Weeks and a couple of young arms for Vaz FWIW.

I like Weeks as a player who I think we definitely haven't seen the best of, and he could give you a good OBP in the high .300's, and you stick him in CF e.g B.J Upton.

Then you go out, and sign a SP to replace Vaz in the rotation.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 12:59 PM)
with the intention of having him play 2B or CF?

Would have to be CF. With the Sox's premium on good defense, Weeks wouldn't be a fit in the middle infield.

No idea how strong his arm is, but he would cover a lot of ground in CF I'd say.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 11:46 AM)
Not surprising, but Cowley is only write a fraction of the time on these sorts of things. That tells me he's apt to just fling s*** at the wall. Some of it will stick.

Being a beat writer means walking the fine line between penetrating analysis, and friendly access to the team. I get the impression that Cowley has pissed off a few too many Sox folks, has lost a lot of access, and therefore doesn't hesitate to do this sort of thing.

I think he "write"s all of the time ;)

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 05:39 PM)
That would be horrific defensively.

But...but...it would give us more speed! The scary part is that Ramirez might be worse defensively at SS than Fields is at 3rd and Weeks is at 2nd.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 04:50 PM)
he's not going to bring a whole lot with his salary.

Disagree. Teams will look at 200 plus innings and 200 K's that he produces and a 2 year guarantee. I would be surprised if we do deal Vazquez, but at this time of the year everyone is on the block.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 12:39 PM)
The scary part is that Ramirez might be worse defensively at SS than Fields is at 3rd and Weeks is at 2nd.

Wha???

Alexei played plus D at 2B this year, and SS is (as I recall) his native position. What makes you think he'd be worse at SS than two sub-standard defensive players at their positions?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 05:42 PM)
I hope you guys arent saying weeks for javy. Thats an awful return. JJ Hardy is probably the key player we could get back for Javy from the Brewers.

KW will overpay for speed, which is why I'm scared of who we'll trade for Figgins (PK for Chone would be such a bad trade).