Obama's Cabinet and Staff

DukeNukeEm

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 02:04 PM)
I found the site to be pretty thorough before I got locked out by the tidal wave. I couldn't really poke around though, there is a spot called Jobs and under it says "Apply Now"... I have no idea what that may be.

Recruiting terrorists

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 07:17 PM)
More rumors I saw on Olbermann (lol, I swear it's my wife who watches it, not me): Gates to stay on for a few months for continuity to eventually be replaced by Chuck Hagel for Defense, Caroline Kennedy for UN ambassador, Colin Powell for Education. All rumors of course.

How about Vallas for Sec. Ed?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 02:05 PM)
Lindsey Graham = sane

GOP = not sane

I have a suggestion. Well two, really.

1. How about we take the lead from Obama and McCain here, and try to keep an open mind as to how the parties will deal with each other with this new administration, before we go labeling an entire party not sane.

2. And I'd like to hope that we, the relatively knowledgeable regular posters in the Buster, wait to see how the cabinet forms up before we start yelling "PARTISAN!!!!!"

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 02:20 PM)
Lugar is like a thousand years old, I wonder if that's why, or is it just that he doesn't want to serve in a Democratic administration? He would be highly qualified for the job though and IMO the best pick.

He will be in the Senate until 2013, so age is probably not his primary reason.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 09:41 PM)
Is that guy still around? He got booed at my school once.

:lolhitting

I think this talk about Rahm Emanuel being more of the same is so silly. It's the chief of staff, you want someone who is going to fight for your legislation, not some REALLY nice guy that is ineffective but is CHANGE cause he's so nice. Obama should've named his COS snuggles the bear.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 02:45 PM)
Obama should've named his COS snuggles the bear.

you didn't hear the bad news? Snuggles died yesterday. He was up in Alaska and wanted great Sarah Palin on the tarmac. He was wearing a beautiful white jacket that just came out of the drier. She shot him dead... thought he was a Polar Bear.

RIP Snuggles.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 03:45 PM)
:lolhitting

I think this talk about Rahm Emanuel being more of the same is so silly. It's the chief of staff, you want someone who is going to fight for your legislation, not some REALLY nice guy that is ineffective but is CHANGE cause he's so nice. Obama should've named his COS snuggles the bear.

I was going to say something like that. Your CoS is supposed to be a partisan guy. Otherwise there is no point in having one.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 02:36 PM)
I have a suggestion. Well two, really.

1. How about we take the lead from Obama and McCain here, and try to keep an open mind as to how the parties will deal with each other with this new administration, before we go labeling an entire party not sane.

2. And I'd like to hope that we, the relatively knowledgeable regular posters in the Buster, wait to see how the cabinet forms up before we start yelling "PARTISAN!!!!!"

Even I am waiting to see what the whole package looks like.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 03:05 PM)

Barack Obama is seriously considering the creation of an Energy Security Council within the White House, according to sources close to the transition.

President-elect Obama and his staff are examining a white paper written by former President Bill Clinton’s chief of staff, John Podesta, who is heading up the Obama transition, the sources said.

The outline details how the committee would be formed, the sources said, and addresses how power would be balanced between a new National Energy Council and other White House entities, particularly the Council on Environmental Quality, which now oversees federal agency implementation of environmental policy.

During the campaign, there was talk that Obama would consider naming some sort of White House “energy czar,” and this new council could be part of such a move.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the "Secretary of Energy" a "White House 'energy czar'"? I can see putting a group of people around the Secretary of Energy. I have no problem with that. But like it says, it has to balance with the "Council on Environmental Quality".

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 01:10 PM)
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the "Secretary of Energy" a "White House 'energy czar'"? I can see putting a group of people around the Secretary of Energy. I have no problem with that. But like it says, it has to balance with the "Council on Environmental Quality".

Sometimes, reorganizations can work well or produce better ideas. I have no idea where they'd be going with that though.

A friend of mine who, well, let's say is in a better position to know certain things even compared to people on this site suggested NY Fed President Tim Geithner as Treasury Secretary. He thinks that's a better choice than Jamie Dimon.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 12:41 AM)
A friend of mine who, well, let's say is in a better position to know certain things even compared to people on this site suggested NY Fed President Tim Geithner as Treasury Secretary. He thinks that's a better choice than Jamie Dimon.

In the same article where people saw Summers, it mentioned Geithner. Geithner is fairly young, no?

After a tremendous 4 years, Howard Dean announced today he will step down from the DNC at the end of his term in January. Obama ally and Sen. Claire McCaskill is rumored to be on the way to taking that post (While still remaining a senator, a-la Mel Martinez, the DNC figurehead person who goes on the talk shows) while Obama deputy campaign manager Steve Hildebrand may take over the actual operational details.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 03:00 PM)
I was going to say something like that. Your CoS is supposed to be a partisan guy. Otherwise there is no point in having one.

How about the head of the FCC? And in a breaking of a campaign promise to keep lobbyists out of his government, he wants to appoint one to head the FCC. One that has a fondness for the so-called Fairness Doctrine. DC insider Henry Rivera, a former Democratic FCC commissioner, and partner in the lobbyist law firm Wiley Rein, is being picked by Team Obama. While not currently registered as an active lobbyist, he has been engaged as such as recent as 2001. His law firm is also heavily involved in efforts to lobby on telecom issues. Rivera’s law firm is also the former home of Kevin Martin, the current FCC chairman, and is arguably one of the schmooziest lobbyist telecom legal firms in Washington. They employ several former FCC commissioners as well as a significant number of former FCC employees. Of course, Rivera and the other lawyers at the firm are not the only people at the FCC, or other governement agencies, to leave government for high-paying lobbyist jobs, but how is this 'change'? Looks like just another Washington insider, with an agenda.