Obama's Cabinet and Staff

DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 04:14 PM)
Isn't that considered making a deal for a Senate seat?

I'd be in favor of state laws where the person being nominated has to be from the same party as the person leaving.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 03:48 PM)
You guys were all against a special election. Until a Democrat proposes it. Hilarious.

continue.

I'd be in favor of changing the system before, not during, it being used.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 05:15 AM)
And yet Obama was trying to put this man into his cabinet, dispite all of his campaign pledges and speeches to avoid this exact kind of person.

I wonder if deep down the President doesn't yet understand the level of populist discontent in this country aimed at the sheer corruption of the business world, the government, and the media. He adopted the language of that discontent with great effect to get himself elected in one of the biggest blowouts in recent history, yet he still took steps like appointing Daschle, Geithner, loading up the stimulus package with tax cuts, etc., that suggest he is still trying to play the game the old way at some level. It's entirely possible he could have adopted that language but at the same time he may have still been insulated enough from the real rage that is brewing in this country that he might not have caught on yet.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)
Anyone who knows how extensive lobbyists' influence is in Washington knows that's a promise that can't possibly be kept 100% and should have known that from jump.

Then don't go around screaming "CHANGE" and "TRUST ME" and all that bulls***, knowing f***ing damn well he wouldn't keep his promise. Gee, no different then anyone else, imagine that.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 08:46 PM)
Then don't go around screaming "CHANGE" and "TRUST ME" and all that bulls***, knowing f***ing damn well he wouldn't keep his promise. Gee, no different then anyone else, imagine that.

Why is it you only seem to want to acknowledge that either Obama changes everything, or nothing, when reality is clearly between?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 08:52 PM)
Why is it you only seem to want to acknowledge that either Obama changes everything, or nothing, when reality is clearly between?

Because people say the same thing about everyone else, unless it's their guy. I'm only making the point.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 08:52 PM)

I think the spotlight has only been on the things that he said he was going to change, and has acted like Bush on.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 09:46 PM)

I have a hard time getting indignant about a politician's duplicity. That's like getting mad at a baby because they cry too much. What do you think they're going to do?

Last week, Politico asked the offices of all 99 sitting senators to say who prepares their taxes, whether they or the Internal Revenue Service has ever discovered an error on returns they’ve filed, and whether they’ve ever had to pay back taxes.

Of the 56 senators who have responded to the survey, eight said that mistakes have been made on their tax returns, and six said they have paid back taxes. Thirty senators said that no mistakes have been discovered on their returns and that they’ve never paid back taxes — at least to the best of their recollection.

The offices of two senators — Jim Webb (D-Va.) and Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) — told Politico that they would not answer the survey questions. The offices of Kyl and 42 other senators — 17 Republicans, 24 Democrats and Joseph I. Lieberman (I-Conn.) — failed to respond at all.

See also

Some Senate offices took issue with the line of questioning, saying it was either unfair or an invasion of privacy. Aides to one senator told Politico that they considered the survey “presumptuous and intrusive.” Some Senate press secretaries encouraged others not to respond to the survey.

Twelve senators, including Cornyn, responded with generic statements about their compliance with financial disclosure requirements.

Link

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 14, 2009 -> 07:34 PM)
Well I suppose it was good that one of Obama's nominees actually withdrew because of convictions, and not a lack of convicitions...

I can respect what Gregg did. i think we've ALL been in a situation like that... just not in such a high profile way. We've all committed to something int he heat of them oment, then in the days/weeks after, we start to think.. "this was not a good idea. I got caught up".

I have no problem with him saying "I made a mistake."

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 14, 2009 -> 11:20 PM)
I can respect what Gregg did. i think we've ALL been in a situation like that... just not in such a high profile way. We've all committed to something int he heat of them oment, then in the days/weeks after, we start to think.. "this was not a good idea. I got caught up".

I have no problem with him saying "I made a mistake."

Um, yea. :lol: Definitely agree.

• 2 weeks later...

Secretary Number 3!

President Barack Obama's likely third pick for Commerce secretary is former Washington Gov. Gary Locke, a senior administration official said Monday.

Locke was the nation's first Chinese-American governor when he served two terms in the Washington statehouse from 1997 to 2005.

Locke, 59, was born into an immigrant family and lived in a Seattle public housing project until he was 6. He graduated from Yale University, which he attended with a combination of scholarships and financial aid, and Boston University Law School.

He lists among his accomplishments as governor a package of tax breaks that persuaded The Boeing Co. to assemble its new 787 jetliner in Everett, north of Seattle, and expanded transportation and construction budgets.

Since leaving office he's been working for the Seattle-based law firm Davis Wright Tremaine on issues involving China, energy and governmental relations. He argues that global engagement is a way to improve China's human rights record and deal with piracy of intellectual property.

Locke was once considered a rising star in the Democratic party, gave the 2003 response to the "16 words" SOTU address, but gave up his governorship in 2003 and has been working as described since then. It's been reported that one of the factors in his departure was threats against his family.

• 2 weeks later...