Obama's Cabinet and Staff

DukeNukeEm

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
The guy skipped out on thousands in taxes over multiple years, and took offset money for payments he didn't make. And, again I point out, this is the TREASURY secretary nominee we are talking about. I don't care if everything else is perfect, to me, this make him a non-starter. Unfortunately, he will probably be confirmed anyway.

Its funny, people yell about things like Richardson maybe steering funds to a certain campaign-friendly construction company, or the Clintons getting campaign money from places that were benefited by government actions. Those are accusations unproven, and even if true, are not (IMO) at as bad a level as knowingly evading large amounts of taxes, which is what Geithner did.

Richardson and Clinton's actions are admittedly a lot more gray. In this case we would literally be putting a should-be felon into the cabinet.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
Richardson and Clinton's actions are admittedly a lot more gray. In this case we would literally be putting a should-be felon into the cabinet.

And yet, we hear so much more about those two and their issues, because they were so much higher profile people to begin with. Sort of strange.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 07:54 PM)
Who was one of the bunch that allowed LEH to fail and gave BSC to JPM.

The problem is you won't be able to find someone with qualifications for this job that has clean hands in the financial collapse unless you go to some economics professor who predicted the whole thing.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)
The problem is you won't be able to find someone with qualifications for this job that has clean hands in the financial collapse unless you go to some economics professor who predicted the whole thing.

This part is true. Still doesn't excuse the tax evasion.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 08:12 PM)
This part is true. Still doesn't excuse the tax evasion.

Yeah, but, if I have to deal with Larry summers as treas. sec. because of Geithner's tax follies I'll be pretty pissed. He paid it now, I'll choose to believe this incredibly brilliant man was completely clueless on "hey, wait, taxes?" than have to deal with summers and the failing female mind.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
Who was one of the bunch that allowed LEH to fail and gave BSC to JPM.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 03:04 PM)

^^

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 12:56 PM)
And yet, we hear so much more about those two and their issues, because they were so much higher profile people to begin with. Sort of strange.

Well to be fair how many people still have actually ever heard of this guy? Especially when compared to someone like Hillary, who is grade A guarenteed ratings anytime she has a scandal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
Well to be fair how many people still have actually ever heard of this guy? Especially when compared to someone like Hillary, who is grade A guarenteed ratings anytime she has a scandal.

That's my point. It makes me sad though, as I think there SHOULD be more outrage about Geithner than about the other two, in this case.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 04:02 PM)
That's my point. It makes me sad though, as I think there SHOULD be more outrage about Geithner than about the other two, in this case.

I am more upset that this guy is getting off scottfree than I am that the reason they used to take down Blago is being completely ignored while installing our Secretary of State, because I really believe the only reason the Gov was arrested was because the entire state hates him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)
I am more upset that this guy is getting off scottfree than I am that the reason they used to take down Blago is being completely ignored while installing our Secretary of State, because I really believe the only reason the Gov was arrested was because the entire state hates him.

Well, I'm upset about Geithner, and about Blago, but I am not AS upset (yet) about Clinton or Richardson. I don't find the accusations against those two to be as bad, and they aren't anything like proven yet either. Blago, we've all heard enough evidence that its painfully clear what he did, and Geithner, his tax evasion is accepted fact.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 07:55 PM)
I have nothing against her, but I couldn't think of any reason for her to be a Senator other than her last name.

Weird thing, she withdrew for "personal reasons". My guess is she had something to hide, was afraid it would come out.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 08:50 PM)
Weird thing, she withdrew for "personal reasons". My guess is she had something to hide, was afraid it would come out.

Maybe she never really wanted to in the first place and was just bowing to peer pressure.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 05:56 PM)
Maybe she never really wanted to in the first place and was just bowing to peer pressure.

I agree. And by peer pressure, I think you mean "within-the-family" peers. Either she just wasn't up to it right now or she just didn't want to do it. If she really wants it, she has a few years to make herself a policy guru and practice speeches, and she can re-run for the seat then.