Obama's Cabinet and Staff

DukeNukeEm

Judd Gregg, R-NH is now the official nominee for the Commerce department job. This is happening despite the fact that the Democratic governor of NH has promised to place a Republican in that chair, rather than a Democrat. Gregg will be the 3rd Republican in Obama's cabinet, the most members of the opposing party in any President's cabinet since FDR.

In response to yet another act of Bipartisanship, the Republicans found a way to change a few of their votes on other bills so that they could say they'd given a negative number of votes to the stimulus package.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)

As did Obama's initial nomination for Performance Czar, who had her own (albeit much smaller) tax issue.

After having such a controlled, analytical campaign, I am really surprised at how politcally sloppy his administration has been so far. Not in all facets, but, numerous plodding, stupid mistakes. Rookie mistakes, I guess you could say.

Now, did Geithner actually get confirmed? If not, maybe we can get him to drop out too.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 09:59 AM)
Nancy Killefer also withdrew for "chief performance officer" (what is this new position and was it really even necessary?)

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/03/per...inee.withdraws/

That makes three nominees with tax problems and one who had to withdraw over a corruption investigation.

Best transition team eva!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 2, 2009 -> 08:44 PM)
Judd Gregg, R-NH is now the official nominee for the Commerce department job. This is happening despite the fact that the Democratic governor of NH has promised to place a Republican in that chair, rather than a Democrat. Gregg will be the 3rd Republican in Obama's cabinet, the most members of the opposing party in any President's cabinet since FDR.

In response to yet another act of Bipartisanship, the Republicans found a way to change a few of their votes on other bills so that they could say they'd given a negative number of votes to the stimulus package.

Good. Republicans better not vote for this bill. I've been hearing rumblings that even some Senate Democrata are going to vote 'no' if the bill doesn't get a big overhaul.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)
Nancy Killefer also withdrew for "chief performance officer" (what is this new position and was it really even necessary?)

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/03/per...inee.withdraws/

That makes three nominees with tax problems and one who had to withdraw over a corruption investigation.

Yeah, I pointed it out a few posts back.

And actually, I was pretty happy about the creation of the position. Its akin to a plan I have suggested in this forum a few times over the years, to make the government less wasteful. The good news is, there are probably hundreds of people in the management consulting world who would be good candidates for this job.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 01:12 PM)
lol. So the HHS gets shot down for tax problems, but the person who is overseeing the checkbook is cool... Nice.

This is an embarrassment. Tom Daschle is the embodiment of a typical 1990's era Democrat. Finding a way to lose, even when there isn't an election.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 01:16 PM)
Yeah, I pointed it out a few posts back.

And actually, I was pretty happy about the creation of the position. Its akin to a plan I have suggested in this forum a few times over the years, to make the government less wasteful. The good news is, there are probably hundreds of people in the management consulting world who would be good candidates for this job.

That is something which is kinda BS too. She quit over a 900 dollar tax lien which was corrected five months after the lien happened. Not saying that the lien should have ever happened, but five months was probably the time it took for notification of the lien.

I understand Daschle getting blown out for his hundred thousand dollar plus tax cheat, Geithner too. But the CPO nominee looks like a real tax mistake, not anything else.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 12:35 PM)
That is something which is kinda BS too. She quit over a 900 dollar tax lien which was corrected five months after the lien happened. Not saying that the lien should have ever happened, but five months was probably the time it took for notification of the lien.

I understand Daschle getting blown out for his hundred thousand dollar plus tax cheat, Geithner too. But the CPO nominee looks like a real tax mistake, not anything else.

I even pointed out that her infraction was smaller. And if it was just her and that small issue, and not a developing pattern, I think people would be less up in arms. So, she carries the blame for the mistake, but her bowing out is probably partially the fault of Daschle and Geithner.

In any case, no one in a fiscally-key position (which all three of these are) should even be nominated with tax skeletons like these people have. Should be a no-brainer.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 12:35 PM)

There's just too many Dems getting busted for not paying taxes, makes Obama look bad; especially when the Democrats were pushing a 'Paying taxes is patriotic' marketing slogan.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 10:39 AM)
There's just too many Dems getting busted for not paying taxes, makes Obama look bad; especially when the Democrats were pushing a 'Paying taxes is patriotic' marketing slogan.

And when you toss in Richardson...really, what the Hell was the transition/vetting team doing? Out of IIRC 30 or so nominees that needed to be confirmed by the senate, that's 4 who have had major problems and another who was dropped who I don't believe needed confirmation.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 12:43 PM)
And when you toss in Richardson...really, what the Hell was the transition/vetting team doing? Out of IIRC 30 or so nominees that needed to be confirmed by the senate, that's 4 who have had major problems and another who was dropped who I don't believe needed confirmation.

Like I said... for such a controlled campaign, his administration/transition team sure does seem sloppy.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
Like I said... for such a controlled campaign, his administration/transition team sure does seem sloppy.

Not really that sloppy. I bet they knew and thought they could slip it past. Maybe they were banking on that liberal media we hear so much about these days...

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 02:37 PM)
Not really that sloppy. I bet they knew and thought they could slip it past. Maybe they were banking on that liberal media we hear so much about these days...

I think its more likely they are sloppy, than they are stupid, which is the alternative. Not sure how they thought these sorts of things would slip through unnoticed. Its not like a traffic ticket.