*Official* Brock Lesnar vs. Randy Couture UFC Title Thread

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Nov 16, 2008 -> 12:11 AM)
How did he win?

dropped Couture with a right hand to the temple area. Jumped on top and continued the onslaught until the ref stepped in.

Lesnar looked really cautious and somewhat nervous IMO. Probably one the first by dominant position for the most part.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 11:19 PM)
dropped Couture with a right hand to the temple area. Jumped on top and continued the onslaught until the ref stepped in.

Lesnar looked really cautious and somewhat nervous IMO. Probably one the first by dominant position for the most part.

Thanks

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Nov 16, 2008 -> 02:09 AM)
Lesnar was just too strong. Plain and simple.

Overall, a fun card to watch. Going into it I thought at least 3 of these fights would go to a decision and none did.

p.s. Jeremy Stephens had the KO of the year tonight.

That was great. That was a movie KO. If Couture could've just avoided the KO and taken the fight into the 3rd or 4th, he would've won it. Lesnar won it straight-up, though. It was a nice fight.

Just saw the fight on mmalinker.

Randy did some nice things in this match, but Brock was just too big for Randy to take down or establish position.

There was some crying on the boards about Brock grabbing the cage, but I don't think he did that much more than anyone else does.

Brock's collegiate wrestling experience helped him out a lot as far as holding position and keeping leverage and weight on Randy.

I'm sure Randy would have dominated the later rounds, as Brock was starting to gas, but a hard shot to the temple area and what seemed like about 2,000 punches after that took care of any talk of later rounds.

Congrats to Lesnar, and I'll be interested to see how he does against Nog/Mir after their interim HW title fight.

Randy should've retired five years ago? Why? He beat Sylvia and Gonzaga just over the last couple of years. I'd take Randy to beat those guys again and I'd take him to beat most of the UFC HW division except Nog, which would still be an interesting fight, and pretty much Affliction's whole roster sans Fedor and Barnett.

Randy is still around because the HW division not just in the UFC but in the sport as a whole is so weak, one-dimensional, and untrue that a smart, well-rounded fighter with great cardio can beat most guys. Two of the three best HW over the last several years have been Randy and Fedor, both natural 205lb fighters. The difference between Randy and Fedor is that Randy gets s*** on for being old and incapable of competing at 205 whereas Fedor gets his nuts sucked by everyone even though he'd rather maul the garbage at HW than actually cut down to his natural weight class and fight in the deepest division in MMA. Then you've got Nog who is basically like a HW Nick Diaz - pretty good boxing with a little power, excellent BJJ, great off his back, great cardio, nearly impossible to finish - but even Nog P4P isn't the caliber of the top contenders in other weight classes based on skill alone, just like Nick Diaz at 155 or 170 is no Kenny Florian (who really broke out as an elite 155er with his performance last night IMO) or Josh Koscheck, much less a BJ Penn or GSP.

Basically the HW division is a bunch of guys with giant holes in their games who appear to be more like tweeners than true 265 lb athletes, and you've got a couple well-rounded natural 205lb fighters in there destroying them. It's not that Randy and Fedor are amazing, it's that the HW division sucks compared to those guys. Rampage would be in there f***ing guys up too if he fought at HW right now. Watch Mark Coleman cut to 205 - yeah he'll look cut, but the difference in skill will be f***ing ginormous and Coleman will get smashed at 205. And now Lesnar is here destroying these guys, and it's because he's a legit 265 lb fighter. It looks like a joke because it is a joke, but the joke is not Brock. The joke is the rest of the division.

Eventually there will have to be a 225lb or 230 lb division called the HW division with the 265 division called the SHW division. They'll have to break this up and Brock is one of those guys who will force it. Eventually you'll have some of these poorly talented fighters like Herring and McCully and Eddie Sanchez - who P4P couldn't even cut it in WEC's MW or LHW divisions when they had them - forced out of the top organizations for good, and the guys who fight at like 240-250 or so, they'll have to round out their games and decide whether to cut to 225-230 or try to bulk up to 265.

Basically Brock is what they call in pro-wrestling a transitional champ, meaning someone who is meant to carry the gold in between two major draws that people actually care about. With Brock, he's the transition between two different eras. In the current era guys with very limited skillsets (compared to the rest of MMA) can get by because they are very good at one thing, and guys who walk around at 240-250 can just step in without having to cut weight and still compete because of their size and the overall weakness of the division. Brock right now is the new Matt Hughes of the HW division, mark my words. That doesn't mean he won't lose fights as he continues to round out his game, but eventually Brock will dominate all these ranked fighters the way Matt Hughes ate people alive until the WW division evolved and GSP came around, followed by guys like Alves, Fitch, Koscheck, Diego, etc. The next era will be f***ing crazy. There will be an influx of top athletes like Brock is who have been training for a lot longer than Brock has been, and they will get their experience much sooner than Brock, and as a result the next era will end up looking like GSP's compared to Brock's Matt Hughes. Shane Carwin and Cain Velasquez could be part of this transitional phase as well, and those three guys I predict would beat the majority of Affliction's "superior" HW division right now, and will eat them alive in due time.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Nov 16, 2008 -> 10:17 AM)
Just saw the fight on mmalinker.

Randy did some nice things in this match, but Brock was just too big for Randy to take down or establish position.

There was some crying on the boards about Brock grabbing the cage, but I don't think he did that much more than anyone else does.

Brock's collegiate wrestling experience helped him out a lot as far as holding position and keeping leverage and weight on Randy.

I'm sure Randy would have dominated the later rounds, as Brock was starting to gas, but a hard shot to the temple area and what seemed like about 2,000 punches after that took care of any talk of later rounds.

Congrats to Lesnar, and I'll be interested to see how he does against Nog/Mir after their interim HW title fight.

Brock looked really winded after round 1. It seemed like he was nervous/tense during the introductions which can cause problems with stamina and what not. But it appeared he caught a second wind in round 2.