Winter Meetings Chit-Chat

southsider2k5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this "constipation" as someone referred to it is a natural consequence of the belt-tightening. I think, for the first time in a long time (if ever), we're going to see a significant downturn in the value "paid" (monetarily or through trade) of experienced players. Teams will hold on to their young talent with a tighter grip, and be less likely to sign big free agents. Salaries will drop for new contracts, others will be renegotiated.

And I also agree with something else said earlier - this should be the Sox in a very good position after 2009, with all the big money coming off payroll that offseason.

Unfortunately for all of us waiting for news, this means that much of the sign and trade type news will come slowly, and later than normal, in the offseason.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 05:04 PM)
Did KW cause the Economic depression just so the white sox could win a world series?

///////////////g////r/////e//////e//////n////

Absolutely. Here is how it went...

Wilder and his cronies propped up the economy with their lavish spending on "stuff"...

KW finds, out, takes the blank check away, and Wilder goes down...

Less money in the luxury economy trickles down...

Voila! Recession!

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 11:17 PM)
that damned wilder can go to hell! Gene too

hells yeah. in fact, i am going to refuse to watch young frankenstein and/or stir crazy until this dastardly plot has been revealed.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 06:09 PM)
Absolutely. Here is how it went...

Wilder and his cronies propped up the economy with their lavish spending on "stuff"...

KW finds, out, takes the blank check away, and Wilder goes down...

Less money in the luxury economy trickles down...

Voila! Recession!

Don't forget the part that, that bastard Cabrera played in this scheme!

According to Yahoo's Tim Brown, the Angels are nearing a three-year agreement with free agent outfielder Juan Rivera.

Brown says the Halos are pursuing other free agents as well and operating as if Mark Teixeira will sign with the Red Sox. GM Tony Reagins has talked to the agents for Bobby Abreu, Pat Burrell, and Adam Dunn, but not Milton Bradley. The Angels may also sign a closer, and Brian Fuentes makes sense.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 10:15 PM)
Red Sox owner John Henry says the Red Sox are not going to be a factor in the Teixeira sweepstakes...per ESPN.

Wow. I think alot of the contract reports this offseason have been fabricated instead of real. The agents are becoming exposed in this economy.

No, the Red Sox are calling his bluff. They won't go over 8 years and over $22 million per season.

I think $160-170 will be the range for the final number. They're going to sit back and wait for TEX to decide between the Angels (wrong coast, how much does he like the tightly-controlled Scioscia atmosphere) and playing on the Red Sox, unless the Yankees throw money at him at the last second....I just can't see him pulling an A-Rod and going to BALT or WASH just because of pure dollars, but, then again, he's a Boras client. Stranger things have happened. I can't even imagine the White Sox paying Pujols $22 million at this point.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 07:47 AM)
No, the Red Sox are calling his bluff. They won't go over 8 years and over $22 million per season.

I think $160-170 will be the range for the final number. They're going to sit back and wait for TEX to decide between the Angels (wrong coast, how much does he like the tightly-controlled Scioscia atmosphere) and playing on the Red Sox, unless the Yankees throw money at him at the last second....I just can't see him pulling an A-Rod and going to BALT or WASH just because of pure dollars, but, then again, he's a Boras client. Stranger things have happened. I can't even imagine the White Sox paying Pujols $22 million at this point.

Tightly controlled Scioscia stmosphere? Are you kidding? Mike is one of the most laid-back managers ever - he's the anti-Ozzie, if anything.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb...,5645491.column

Here's my response about Scioscia, who I sometimes think gets overrated by White Sox fans (like Gardenhire as well) and underrated by Angels' fans and beat writers (just like Ozzie).

According to Joe Christensen and La Velle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, the Twins have expressed interest in Japanese pitchers Kenshin Kawakami and Koji Uehara. The authors suggest Kawakami could allow the Twins to trade a starter, while Uehara may enter the Majors as a reliever. The Twins' interest in Kawakami first surfaced back on Tuesday. Teams such as the Orioles, Cardinals, Braves, Red Sox, Mets, and Giants have also been linked to him.

Another note from Christensen: the Twins have expressed interest in Brett Tomko. :-) Please, sign Tomko and trade Slowey/Blackburn/Perkins!!! Of course, that might be bad if they actually dared to trade for say, Adrian Beltre, with that young pitching.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)
http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb...,5645491.column

Here's my response about Scioscia, who I sometimes think gets overrated by White Sox fans (like Gardenhire as well) and underrated by Angels' fans and beat writers (just like Ozzie).

You are out of your mind, you just named 2 of the best managers in the game as overrated. And thats not YOUR response, thats a response from a writer and you posted it.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 09:47 AM)

$160-170 million? Ugh. I think Teixeiria is one of the most overrated baseball players in the Majors, probably THE most overrated. I just don't think he's worth that much money and he never impressed me. Typical of scrubby players getting fat paychecks just because their agent's name is Boras.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 11:39 AM)
You are out of your mind, you just named 2 of the best managers in the game as overrated. And thats not YOUR response, thats a response from a writer and you posted it.

There are many different perceptions out there about Scioscia than him being the greatest thing since Kimbo Sliced bread. His teams have terribly underachieved in the playoffs since 2002, almost as bad as the Cubs have. Especially considering all that talent in their organization and the rising payrolls under Arte Moreno.

I don't think at least half of the Twins' fanbase (from reading their boards quite a bit) thinks Gardenhire is the greatest. They still attribute the success of team to Tom Kelly, the "Twins' Way" in their minor league system, etc. For whatever reason, they've held him responsible for their poor record once they reach the playoffs. Gardenhire made plenty of horrible decisions with his bullpen this year...just like Ozzie is always accused of doing...because when you only have Guerrer/Crain/Bonser/Bass as your "go to" guys and not Hawkins and Romero (like 2002-2004), managers look DUMBER. Just like Ozzie did in 2006 and 2007, but he's a BAD manager, MANY say, but Gardenhire's great. When you look at their pythagorean averages (which is one of just many measure, but Phil Rogers is a believer in it), Guillen comes out ahead of Gardy.

Scioscia is one of the least fundamentally sound baseball managers out there. He's a terrible tactician and his players are incredibly undisciplined. That being said, he's a very good leader of men and controls the clubhouse perfectly. He's definitely helped by having a GM with enormous expectations and an owner with wide pockets.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 09:14 AM)
$160-170 million? Ugh. I think Teixeiria is one of the most overrated baseball players in the Majors, probably THE most overrated. I just don't think he's worth that much money and he never impressed me. Typical of scrubby players getting fat paychecks just because their agent's name is Boras.

I wouldn't exactly go so far as to say that he's a scrub. He plays gold glove first base and is a great hitter, BUT, he isn't the type of player who will carry a team for weeks on end and doesn't deserve 22 mil a year. I'd say he deserves a more Konerko-esque deal. 6-7 years tops for about 12-15 million seems fair for him.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 11:14 AM)

I've seen some pretty outrageous posts tonight. But this one takes the cake.

I take that back. Nitetrain claiming Brandon Roy is no better than Ben Gordon has got to be tops. But your're #2.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 08:05 PM)
I wouldn't exactly go so far as to say that he's a scrub. He plays gold glove first base and is a great hitter, BUT, he isn't the type of player who will carry a team for weeks on end and doesn't deserve 22 mil a year. I'd say he deserves a more Konerko-esque deal. 6-7 years tops for about 12-15 million seems fair for him.

Yea, I agree. That's the type of contract he should be getting. I'm just disgusted with how some players get over-inflated contracts, such as A-Rod's and Sabathia's, and even Soriano's. I just don't think it's wise business decisions to gamble that much on so many years if injuries can happen at any moment.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 08:13 PM)
I've seen some pretty outrageous posts tonight. But this one takes the cake.

I take that back. Nitetrain claiming Brandon Roy is no better than Ben Gordon has got to be tops. But your're #2.

How is thinking Tex is overrated being outrageous? His stats are typical for power-hitting first basemen, he's not worth 160-170 million. Boras is just inflating the figures as much as possible so he can get a bigger commission.