Angels May Consider Trading For Dye or Paulie

Kenny Hates Prospects

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sec101Row1 @ Dec 24, 2008 -> 09:17 AM)
I'd like to see the Sox trade Dye or Paulie for Fred Lewis LF for the Giants. This would give a speedy lefty leadoff hitter. Has great tools, including speed and home-run power. Can play any of the three outfield positions.

LF: Anderson CF: Lewis RF: Quentin

Lewis is a good player and I'd have no problem with the Sox trading for him, but I doubt the Giants have any interest in dealing him, seeing as how they are pretty much in a full blown rebuilding.

And Anderson would play CF on any team that he's on if he's starting. That's where all of his value is.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 24, 2008 -> 07:06 PM)
Lewis is a good player and I'd have no problem with the Sox trading for him, but I doubt the Giants have any interest in dealing him, seeing as how they are pretty much in a full blown rebuilding.

And Anderson would play CF on any team that he's on if he's starting. That's where all of his value is.

Latest headline on MLBtraderumors.com, "Angels Standing Pat With Current Outfield". It even says they are going to let Garett Anderson walk, so why on earth would they then go after Dye, a very similar player in terms of age and production. Dye and PK both aren't going anywhere unless we are 15 games out at the break and some NL team is desperate.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Dec 24, 2008 -> 07:44 PM)
Latest headline on MLBtraderumors.com, "Angels Standing Pat With Current Outfield". It even says they are going to let Garett Anderson walk, so why on earth would they then go after Dye, a very similar player in terms of age and production. Dye and PK both aren't going anywhere unless we are 15 games out at the break and some NL team is desperate.

Garret Anderson has not been in Dye's league as a hitter since 2003.

The whole reason the Angels' rumors have surfaced is that they are looking to add an impact bat.

Look at their lineup. It was pretty weak this year... in the bottom half of the AL in RBIs and homeruns; and 2nd to last in doubles.

The way things stand they might be getting weak production out of 3 key positions this year... 3B; 1B; and DH.

So, I'm not suggesting we trade either Paulie or Dye out there, but either of them would fill holes the Angels need to address.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 24, 2008 -> 12:02 PM)
Well this whole thing is speculation to begin with. If Dye is dealt in a 3-way type deal involving LA and Cincy- Sox get Figgins and Bailey- Angels get Votto- Reds get Dye.

So the Reds give up Bailey and Votto for Dye. That's gonna take more prospects than the Angels and Sox have to make that happen. Votto isn't going anywhere for prospects.

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 25, 2008 -> 09:22 AM)
Garret Anderson has not been in Dye's league as a hitter since 2003.

The whole reason the Angels' rumors have surfaced is that they are looking to add an impact bat.

Look at their lineup. It was pretty weak this year... in the bottom half of the AL in RBIs and homeruns; and 2nd to last in doubles.

The way things stand they might be getting weak production out of 3 key positions this year... 3B; 1B; and DH.

So, I'm not suggesting we trade either Paulie or Dye out there, but either of them would fill holes the Angels need to address.

Vlad will see a lot of time at DH this year. Rivera will see more time in RF. I still don't see them trading Figgins. He fits the Angels needs for leadoff wtih his getting on base and 3b well enough. Dye doesn't seem a good fit for them. If he hit lefthanded maybe, or could play 1b, but he doesn't.

The key is 1b for them. Can they get someone better than Pk for 1B? I haven't heard many names that would be better for them than PK-esp. for HR and RBI's.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Dec 25, 2008 -> 09:15 AM)
Just imagine all the angst here about us being cheap if we lost both K Rod and Texiera in the same off season.

The Angels are gonna have to replace the offense-especially with the crosstown Dodgers on the upswing

The Angels don't let the crosstown team decide what they do in the offseason. Just as the Sox shouldn't either.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Dec 25, 2008 -> 04:15 PM)
Just imagine all the angst here about us being cheap if we lost both K Rod and Texiera in the same off season.

The Angels are gonna have to replace the offense-especially with the crosstown Dodgers on the upswing

What I find in these published rumor reports irritates me to no end. The way the articles read IMO is that the Sox shoulds just be jumping with glee that the Angels see us as the 2nd or third best option and will take Dye and/or Konerko of our hands. We are supposed to feel grateful about this apparently. In my mind Dye and Konerko are two top of the line players and we will be weakening ourselves if we trade them. The goal is to get better not strengthen the Angels or any other team at our expense.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 27, 2008 -> 11:12 AM)
What I find in these published rumor reports irritates me to no end. The way the articles read IMO is that the Sox shoulds just be jumping with glee that the Angels see us as the 2nd or third best option and will take Dye and/or Konerko of our hands. We are supposed to feel grateful about this apparently. In my mind Dye and Konerko are two top of the line players and we will be weakening ourselves if we trade them. The goal is to get better not strengthen the Angels or any other team at our expense.

^^^^^^^^^ Exactly.

I'm always amazed by arguments that suggest other teams need our guys, but that we'd be better off without them.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 27, 2008 -> 11:12 AM)

The idea here is simple - sell high, and emphasize getting what the team lacks.

Dye is getting older, but still competent in RF and very good offensively. He has (I think) 1 year left on his contract, and maybe an option year. His value now is high, but in a year, won't be. With his declining age, he's approaching a point where he needs to be a 1B or DH.

PK is also getting older and has shown health issues, and his 2008 was a steep decline. Now, he may bounce back in 2009, or might not. He's got 2 years left under contract. He's still got decent value, but in a year its less, and a year after that its nothing.

So, those are two pieces that could net the team some things it is more sorely lacking - a starting quality pitcher, or maybe a leadoff hitting OF or the like.

I don't think its a good idea to replace both, though. I'd still like to see, if possible... PK go to LAA for Figgins to play CF, go get another starting pitcher, and acquire one of KC's cheaper and young-ish first base hoard. That improves the overall team without increasing payroll.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 27, 2008 -> 12:35 PM)
Dye is getting older, but still competent in RF and very good offensively. He has (I think) 1 year left on his contract, and maybe an option year. His value now is high, but in a year, won't be. With his declining age, he's approaching a point where he needs to be a 1B or DH.

Well, which is it? Is he getting older or is his age declining?

:P :D

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 27, 2008 -> 09:47 PM)
:lolhitting I must have been watching a Benjamin Button preview in the background.

I want to sign up for that "declining age" syndrome. Thanks for the humor though it helps get through the winter months when you can crack a grin once in awhile

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 27, 2008 -> 06:35 PM)
The idea here is simple - sell high, and emphasize getting what the team lacks.

PK is also getting older and has shown health issues, and his 2008 was a steep decline. Now, he may bounce back in 2009, or might not. He's got 2 years left under contract. He's still got decent value, but in a year its less, and a year after that its nothing.

So, those are two pieces that could net the team some things it is more sorely lacking - a starting quality pitcher, or maybe a leadoff hitting OF or the like.

I don't think its a good idea to replace both, though. I'd still like to see, if possible... PK go to LAA for Figgins to play CF, go get another starting pitcher, and acquire one of KC's cheaper and young-ish first base hoard. That improves the overall team without increasing payroll.

I most certainly can appreciate the idea behind trtades, but I don't think Dye and Konerko should be the bait to bring in either one of the needs you mention. You fill one need and open up another. If we need a quality starter I am thinking the FA market still has a few left and the price may actually be reasonable. PK is worth more than Figgins by himself IMO anyway.Plus we are starting to see a backlog of potential 3Bmen being added to this team already.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 27, 2008 -> 04:14 PM)
I most certainly can appreciate the idea behind trtades, but I don't think Dye and Konerko should be the bait to bring in either one of the needs you mention. You fill one need and open up another. If we need a quality starter I am thinking the FA market still has a few left and the price may actually be reasonable. PK is worth more than Figgins by himself IMO anyway.Plus we are starting to see a backlog of potential 3Bmen being added to this team already.

Although Figgins can probbaly round the bases 3 times before Paulie canget to first base. I have no problem moving Konerko, but I would be interested to see what the other piece coming back would be, besides Figgins.