Angels May Consider Trading For Dye or Paulie

Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 08:16 PM)
Limited playing time against lefties.

.225 is probably more like it. .240 maybe. I just threw numbers out there to make a point, but yes, .210 is too low.

And again, I am not saying Kotsay would be some giant upgrade. A moderate one, if healthy.

BA had more AB's and a higher batting average against righties last year.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 07:07 PM)
If KW unloaded Paulie, and I think that it won't happen, Swisher I am sure is available. With the way the market has dropped on players his level, his contract isn't the "bargain" it once was, even if he regains most of his Oakland form. KW probably could get him back for lower rated prospects than he acquired.

the second trade is going to be difficult for NY to explain. pretty much a giveaway of people that they've irrationally hyped on their boards as we do ours.

almost as controversial as the NBA draft night trade that brought Luol Deng to the Bulls in exchange for absolutely nothing.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Jimmywins1 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 07:34 PM)
BA had more AB's and a higher batting average against righties last year.

If the options were mediocre retread, Owens or BA, I would love for them to give BA the same opportunity they gave him in 2006 when he wasn't ready for it at least mentally. It wouldn't surprise me if the annual search for a CF came to an end. My only concern with BA is he seems to get hurt a lot if he plays.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 11:01 PM)
If the options were mediocre retread, Owens or BA, I would love for them to give BA the same opportunity they gave him in 2006 when he wasn't ready for it at least mentally. It wouldn't surprise me if the annual search for a CF came to an end. My only concern with BA is he seems to get hurt a lot if he plays.

I honestly have no problem handing the CF position to BA. You know the D will be stellar...and if he could put up a .240 avg....and in the neighborhood of .300 OBP...I'd be thrilled. Problem is...there's really no other position for the leadoff hitter to come from right now unless Kenny pulls Roberts outta his arse.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 24, 2008 -> 01:34 AM)
I honestly have no problem handing the CF position to BA. You know the D will be stellar...and if he could put up a .240 avg....and in the neighborhood of .300 OBP...I'd be thrilled. Problem is...there's really no other position for the leadoff hitter to come from right now unless Kenny pulls Roberts outta his arse.

That's the dilemma. I think Anderson would hold down CF just fine and I believe Getz will nail down the 2B job, but you have to have somebody hit at the top of the order.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Dec 24, 2008 -> 08:01 AM)
That's the dilemma. I think Anderson would hold down CF just fine and I believe Getz will nail down the 2B job, but you have to have somebody hit at the top of the order.

I think there is still a possibility, though it may not great, that if the Sox trade Dye (which probably will happen at some point), they open up with LF Jerry Owens, CF Brian Anderson and RF Carlos Quentin.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Dec 24, 2008 -> 08:01 AM)

If Getz can put up numbers like he did in his last few years in the minors, he's not a bad leadoff candidate.

I'd like to see the Sox trade Dye or Paulie for Fred Lewis LF for the Giants. This would give a speedy lefty leadoff hitter. Has great tools, including speed and home-run power. Can play any of the three outfield positions.

LF: Anderson CF: Lewis RF: Quentin

Someone has been reading Soxtalk again...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...8&fext=.jsp

Angels could serve as Sox suitors

Konerko, Dye may become Halos' targets as offseason progresses

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

Paul Konerko was courted by the Angels after the White Sox won the World Series in 2005. (Getty)

CHICAGO -- Take a look at the current White Sox roster as Christmas fast approaches.

Barring non-roster invitees to Spring Training and a few tweaks here and there, this group might look extremely similar as valentines are being handed out in mid-February. Then again, there are still a few avenues for general manager Ken Williams to travel that could significantly change the shape of the team.

The Angels broke off negotiations with free agent Mark Teixeira on Sunday, and general manager Tony Reagins announced Tuesday that his team would not pursue free-agent outfielder Manny Ramirez. Both of those decisions potentially have serious implications for the White Sox.

White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko or right fielder Jermaine Dye both stand out as possible targets for the Angels. Dye has a no-trade clause blocking deals to six teams without his approval, but the Angels are not on that list. Konerko has a full no-trade clause by virtue of having played at least 10 years in the Majors and at least five years with the White Sox, and the even-keel standout has emerged as the face of the franchise -- along with manager Ozzie Guillen -- as well as a mentor to younger players.

But it was the Angels who strongly pursued Konerko as a free agent after the White Sox championship season in 2005, before Konerko agreed to a five-year, $60 million deal to return to Chicago. In addition, Konerko has ties to Angels manager Mike Scioscia and hitting coach Mickey Hatcher from his days coming up in the Dodgers' organization. The fact that the Angels train in Tempe, Ariz., which is close to Konerko's home, could also make a difference if the scenario ever arose.

Konerko seems to be a more plausible pursuit for the Angels than Dye, even with the no-trade roadblock. Although the Angels have expressed support for Kendry Morales at first base, the switch-hitter could be worked in at designated hitter while learning the position from Konerko for the next two years. The recent signing of Juan Rivera to a three-year, $12.75 million deal gives the Angels five talented outfield choices and leaves them not truly in need of a further upgrade.

If a Konerko trade was broached, the compensation component for the White Sox could be a sticking point.

Chone Figgins, a switch-hitter who turns 31 on Jan. 22, has been admired for his style of play by both Guillen and Williams, and he would fit perfectly as the team's leadoff hitter. Josh Fields, Dayan Viciedo and Wilson Betemit are already in place for the South Siders' competition at third, where Figgins has played 386 of his 778 games. But Figgins also has found himself in center field for 244 contests, and he is said to be a solid defensive outfielder.

Trading Figgins, though, basically would make the Angels a speed team without any real speed. The Angels have infield options to move, such as Erick Aybar, Maicer Izturis and Brandon Wood, but Williams has done an exceptional job this offseason of building up his infield depth through the addition of young, versatile players. With ex-White Sox Jon Garland gone from the rotation, the Angels also no longer have a true glut of starting pitchers as they did last year.

Dye could move to first base if Konerko approved a trade, a position switch mentioned previously in connection with Dye, although the veteran is coming off an outstanding season defensively in right. Even if Dye and his $11.5 million contract for 2009 ended up getting traded instead -- and he was the subject of Hot Stove rumors involving both the Reds and Braves -- then, and only then, could the White Sox pursue free-agent outfielder Bobby Abreu.

Abreu has a .300 average, .405 on-base percentage, 241 home runs, 454 doubles, 1,084 RBIs and 318 stolen bases over the course of his 13-year-career. He also is the type of hitter favored by Williams, a hitter who drives up the opposing starter's pitch count by working pitchers deep into the count.

During a recent talk with an Associated Press reporter in Venezuela, Guillen acknowledged he had spoken to the free agent about an interest in the White Sox. Guillen and Abreu talking is nothing unusual, as the two have been close friends for many years.

"Interest exists, but other teams have also shown interest," said Guillen of Abreu, a Type A free agent who was not offered salary arbitration by the Yankees, where he earned $16 million in 2008. "Bob will decide with whom he will play. He needs to choose a contract that allows him to play many years in the Major Leagues."

In reading between the lines from Guillen's comments, he seems to suggest that the White Sox won't pony up the three-year, $45 million being talked about for Abreu. It's an assumption that makes perfect sense, with Williams stating at the Winter Meetings how the White Sox already were bumping up against their payroll limit. They could try to get him for fewer years and less money, if the market drops. Of course, adding a player who turns 35 on March 11 wouldn't exactly be consistent with the White Sox plan to go younger.

Trade talk for Dye seems to have slowed down, with the Braves no longer interested, and a White Sox source told MLB.com that there had been no inquiries from other teams related to Konerko as of the Winter Meetings.

Possibilities for further moves still exist in theory for the White Sox. In reality, there might not be many moves left on Williams' agenda.

Scott Merkin is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Who plays 1st if PK is traded to the Angeles? It gives the Sox some options if that happens, they could sign Dunn or try and move Dye there and sign Abreu.

I would love the Sox to add one more player with a good OBP and that takes a lot of pitches. With Q and Thome already in the lineup it would help get starting pitchers out of the game quicker and get into the soft underbelly of pens. I think that was the major offensive flaw of the '06 team.

Let's take the Yankees for example. You are absolutely 100% dead if you're a free swining team and let them go starter, Joba then Sandman, but if you have a team that can get into the pen in the middle of the sixth or so they become more vulnerable.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 09:33 AM)
BTW, since we are discussing CF's in the Angels thread...

Has anyone seen Figgins play CF? He hasn't played there with Hunter around, but, he played a fair amount of games there in years past. How is he out there?

I've long said Figgins could be a plus centefielder. He's shown good range and has a plus arm for a centerfielder although he will make the ocassional error because he doesn't necessarily get the greatest jumps. However, his jumps would improve any time he got any sort of consistent playing time in centerfield so I truly believe if he stuckt here for a season youd' be talking about a pretty darn good defensive centerfielder.

As much as I've said getting Figgins right now would be foolish. His legs have been hindering him the past couple years and when those go his production is goign to be far less valuable. That said if you can acquire him and Morales in a Paul Konerko deal, than you'll have the top of the order filled up and still be able to get some production from first while freeing up potentially enough payroll to sign Garland for the rotation and wouldn't have any significant holes on the roster (you still have Quentin/Dye/Thome to produce in the middle of the order with the hope that Fields/Morales develop nicely to fill the 6 and 7 spots).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 24, 2008 -> 10:50 AM)
I've said getting Figgins right now would be foolish. His legs have been hindering him the past couple years and when those go his production is goign to be far less valuable.

That said if you can acquire him and Morales in a Paul Konerko deal, than you'll have the top of the order filled up

Heh...yeah Paul Konerko's legs have been hindering him the past couple years as well.

So, good thing you said that second part.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 24, 2008 -> 11:24 AM)
I like Figgins in LF if he's aqcuired. Im guessing that would happen if Dye is dealt and not Konerko.

I like an OF of Figgins, Anderson, and CQ

So, the returns you could see happening are, if Dye is traded, Dye for Figgins, and if Konerko is traded, Konerko for Morales+?

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 24, 2008 -> 11:46 AM)
So, the returns you could see happening are, if Dye is traded, Dye for Figgins, and if Konerko is traded, Konerko for Morales+?

Well this whole thing is speculation to begin with. If Dye is dealt in a 3-way type deal involving LA and Cincy- Sox get Figgins and Bailey- Angels get Votto- Reds get Dye.

If Konerko gets dealt- it would likely be for a starting pitcher. Weaver would be a faboulous start, but I can see the Sox adding pieces to that trade like Richard or Broadway to bring back their young 1B Morales.

Currently Dye holds the most value so a Figgins and Bailey combo would an excellent return. That would free about 5-6 million to use on a backup catcher also.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 24, 2008 -> 12:02 PM)
Currently Dye holds the most value so a Figgins and Bailey combo would an excellent return. That would free about 5-6 million to use on a backup catcher also.

I won't deny that a Bailey/Figgins return would be amazing. Figgins is a FA after '09, correct? Is he a Type A or B FA? If he is, that would make the return even sweeter. 6 years of Bailey/1 year of Figgins/'10 draft pick if Figgins walks/the $5-6 you mentioned for getting rid of Dye.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 24, 2008 -> 12:17 PM)
I won't deny that a Bailey/Figgins return would be amazing. Figgins is a FA after '09, correct? Is he a Type A or B FA? If he is, that would make the return even sweeter. 6 years of Bailey/1 year of Figgins/'10 draft pick if Figgins walks/the $5-6 you mentioned for getting rid of Dye.

yea if we do get Figgins, it would likely be for 1 year and yes he would be a Type B free agent i believe.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Dec 24, 2008 -> 01:15 PM)
since when has PK's trade value sky rocketed? Last time I checked he was a slow 1B coming off 2 bad years with a large contract and a no-trade-clause

by all means it didn't sky rocket but he did finish the season off strong.... We would definitley get much more for Dye. The whole Weaver thing is pure speculation and will likely never happen. just like most of the speculation done on here... but without speculation it can be pretty boring this time of year.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Dec 24, 2008 -> 01:15 PM)
since when has PK's trade value sky rocketed? Last time I checked he was a slow 1B coming off 2 bad years with a large contract and a no-trade-clause

Well... a little perspective... He has not had two bad years in a row. He's had one.

2007 wasn't great, but except for his 20pt dip versus career batting average, he was pretty productive.

.351 OBP

.841 OPS

34 Doubles

31 homeruns

90 RBIs

Take a look at the league stats from two years ago and it's pretty clear...

Those numbers are better than alot of very good hitters had in the AL that year.

So... 2008 was definitely a bad year. 2007? Not bad.

Edited by scenario