Baseball Books

Downtown518

QUOTE (Downtown518 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 10:27 AM)
II was wondering if anyone could recommend any quality baseball related books, in any genre, to give as a gift this Christmas.

If it helps any, the possible recipient is a varsity coach and a filthy Cubs fan….

Thanks in advance!

Total Baseball, the Complete Baseball Encyclopedia. The last edition I got was the 8th, but they may have a 9th out now.

QUOTE (Downtown518 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 10:27 AM)
II was wondering if anyone could recommend any quality baseball related books, in any genre, to give as a gift this Christmas.

If it helps any, the possible recipient is a varsity coach and a filthy Cubs fan….

Thanks in advance!

One of my favorites is the biography of Moe Berg. You combine baseball and a spy novel. It's not for general baseball but it's a good read.

"The Glory of Their Times" is considered by many to be the best. A sports writer in the late 50s early 60s saw that an old ballplayer had died and realized a whole generation was about to pass into obscurity, so he set out across the country with a recorder and interviewed some real characters, old farts who were playing when the leagues first got started at the turn of the century. The stories are absolutely incredible, like the HOF catcher who refused to wear pads or a face mask, eventually wound up coaching for the Pirates in the 1920s. It's all first-person narratives, each chapter a different player. You won't be sorry.

link

I'm currently reading "The Boys of Summer" by Roger Kahn and have really enjoyed it thus far. It's about a writer's experience covering the 1950s Dodgers, focusing on some of the key players like Jackie Robinson, Duke Snider, Roy Campanella, etc. The second half is about their lives after baseball.

Moneyball

Baseball Between the Numbers

The Book: Playing the Percentages in Baseball

QUOTE (rangercal @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 10:39 AM)
The way people talk around here, I can tell many read moneyball.

Yeah. Baseball fans reading a book about baseball? Shocking!

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 02:00 AM)
Moneyball

Baseball Between the Numbers

The Book: Playing the Percentages in Baseball

Yeah. Baseball fans reading a book about baseball? Shocking!

Wow, internet tough guy. Obviously, that's not what I meant. I read the book myself and see references here all the time. Q

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 09:12 AM)
Two excellent books were written by Jim Brosnan, former Cardinal, Cub, Sox, Reds reliever. The first was called The Long Season, and the second was Pennant Race. The first was actually the first of its kind, a day to day diary of a ball player's life.

For a cubs fans? The Best Team Ever (about 1907 Cubs)

for baseball fan? Moneyball, anything by Bill James, The Bronk is Burning (Yankees), The Bad Guys Won (Mets)

"October 1964" by David Halberstam is excellent. Halberstam was extremely smart and a terrific writer. The book tells the story of the 1964 pennant race, which culminated with the Cardinals/Yankees World Series. There's also an interesting (but not too heavy) historical subtext that puts the race in the context of the era, with the Cardinals and their young, Black stars taking over from Mantle's aging, and nearly all-White, Yankees.

"Sandy Koufax: A Lefty's Legacy" is also a good read. The author is a woman who's name I can't remember.

1. Men at Work - George F. Will

-- It's a little old, but it is excellent. The book consists of four parts/interviews as such:

Tony Gwynn - hitting

Orel Hershiser - pitching

Cal Ripken - defense

Tony LaRussa - managing

It really digs deep into the thought and preparation necessary in each discipline.

2. The Mental Game of Baseball

-- An excellent book for someone who plays or played the game. It really gets into baseball between the ears, not typical fan stuff.

3. The Power and the Darkness - The Life of Josh Gibson. Written by Mark Ribowsky

4. Green Diamons - A book about the business and finances of Minor League Baseball. It's outdated, but has some good stories, including how the value of Minor League franchises has risen over the years.

5. Any biography or autobiography on Mickey Mantle.

6. Ball Four - already mentioned

7. Bases Loaded with History - The Story of Rickwood Field, America's Oldest Ballpark by Timothy Whitt

-- Excellent book on the history of an amazing old ballpark. A must read for someone that appreciates lesser known history of baseball and a must visit to the ballpark. Walking into Rickwood Field is like walking back in time.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 05:49 PM)
You know from 1986-2001, the World Series winning team never had a hitter with more than, I think, 36 HR?

Up to 2000...can't forget about Luis Gonzalez.

A lot of those teams still finished in the top 8-10 in the majors in homers though too, and the 98 Yankees, who didn't have a single player hit 30 homers, were probably the best team in the past 25 years to win the World Series. Every hitter could draw a walk, hit a homer, get a base hit, whatever, and 2/3 of the lineup could steal a base too. They had contributions from a ton of different players throughout the season - Strawberry, Raines, Chili Davis, Shane Spencer (who had an incredible 73 plate appearances), and Homer Bush. Andy Pettitte had the highest ERA in the rotation at 4.24, and they had 4 guys with 130+ IP with ERAs below 3.55. Fantastic bullpen.

/jizzed pants

Just thought it's worth pointing out that just because a team doesn't have one super slugger doesn't mean they can't be a powerhouse offense. Afterall, the Yankees still hit 207 homers that season.