Official 2008-2009 NFL Offseason Thread

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can a mod pin this? If in the next few weeks the thread doesn't appear to be very active it can always be unpinned.

I'll start off by saying I have now flip-flopped in what area (originally wanted an O-lineman) I want the Bears to address with their first pick. I believe upgrading the defensive line (I could, of course, change my stance on this every other day) is priority #1. Looks like at least one of Everette Brown from FSU, Tyson Jackson from LSU, and Aaron Maybin from PSU will be available at #18. I'd be fine with any one of these three guys.

If the Bears can sign Jordan Gross or Vernon Carey, it would be a great offseason already. Both are 27 years old, and both are good players. Our RT spot would be filled for the next 5-7 years, and that would be one less position to fill in the draft.

I'd love to have Boldin, but the odds of that happening is slim to none.

I believe the Bears' biggest need is to solve the QB situation.

Now onto something that will actually happen.

Angelo has to take the highest talent WR in the first round. We can't ignore this position any longer or continue to try to survive on other retreads. Hester needs to be returned to his primary duties of kick and punt returns.

This team is going to crash hard and soon.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 12:28 AM)
Can a mod pin this? If in the next few weeks the thread doesn't appear to be very active it can always be unpinned.

I'll start off by saying I have now flip-flopped in what area (originally wanted an O-lineman) I want the Bears to address with their first pick. I believe upgrading the defensive line (I could, of course, change my stance on this every other day) is priority #1. Looks like at least one of Everette Brown from FSU, Tyson Jackson from LSU, and Aaron Maybin from PSU will be available at #18. I'd be fine with any one of these three guys.

no doubt. I know people love alex brown, and he ended up with a decent amount of sacks...but he and ogunleye just aren't the disrupters that they used to be. Our defense is absolutely predicated on getting pressure from the front four, and the last year or two it just didn't happen. Anderson regressed, Brown and Ogun are showing their age. I think if Tommie is healthy he will be better, but we need a pass rushing DE more than anything IMO

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 09:40 AM)
This thread really should be renamed the Bears offseason thread because thats what it is going to be

Well, the Steelers need to focus on OL and then CB/LB/DT.

1. Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma

2. Max Unger, C, Oregon

3. Victor Harris, CB, VT

4. Scott McKillip, ILB, Pitt

5. Dorell Scott, DT, Clemson

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)
Palehose,

Youre an UNC fan right?

If so what do you think of Hicks?

Id love him in the 2nd for the Bears.

Hakeem Nicks is a stud. He's basically Michael Crabtree, just one or two inches shorter. He's ridiculously strong and regularly stiff-armed CB's and even LB's to the ground trying to make a tackle. He has huge, soft hands, and runs well after the catch.

He spent over half the season with a QB that wasn't ACC caliber, and without the teams #2 receiving target, yet amassed over 1200 yards and 12 TD's.

Right now he seems to be projected in the 1st round between 20-30. But he's not going to run a 4.4 at the combines, so it will be interesting to see what happens to his stock if he turns in something like a 4.55.

Anquan Boldin, without the attitude, would be a good "potential" comparison.

Brandon Tate, Hakeem's teammate at UNC will be the most interesting receiver in the draft. He was headed to be a borderline 1st round pick before tearing his ACL/MCL against Notre Dame early in the season. He's expected to make a full recovery and is a possibility of attending a combine. Before his injury he had the potential of being a bigger Devin Hester type at 6'1 195 pounds. Tate is the NCAA all-time leader in return yardage, even with missing his final 8 games.

He was also on his way for a 1,000 yard season. Unfortunately for him he had John Bunting as his coach his first few years. He's a guy that could push his way back into the 1st day contention with a good combine showing. If he is truly back and healed, he could run anywhere from a 4.45-4.5. Not quite the Hester 4.3 speed, but good enough and electric in the open field, while thick enough to where he can take a hit.

Brooks Foster is another UNC receiver is the most talented WR of the UNC group, and should turn in some eye popping numbers at the combine. Brooks will most likely check in at about 6'3 205 pounds, and should run a 4.4-4.5. He could sneak into the back end of the 3rd round.

I can say this in all honesty. UNC's trio of WR's was just as good as Texas Tech's top 3 guys this year. They just didn't get the opportunities outside of Nicks. UNC is losing the best set of WR's they have ever had together.

Thanks,

I saw him at the WR skills competition and he reminded me a lot of Boldin (who I used to love at FSU and thought would be amazing in the pros. I can remember against Georgia he had to play QB due to injuries, it was a shame he couldnt throw to himself.)

For the Bears im hoping they can get BPA in the 1st and then some how get a guy like Nicks in the 2nd. I feel that there are a lot of Wr's in this draft so the possibility of a good one slipping is definitely there.

He just looked so physical and had great hands.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 01:45 PM)
Thanks,

I saw him at the WR skills competition and he reminded me a lot of Boldin (who I used to love at FSU and thought would be amazing in the pros. I can remember against Georgia he had to play QB due to injuries, it was a shame he couldnt throw to himself.)

For the Bears im hoping they can get BPA in the 1st and then some how get a guy like Nicks in the 2nd. I feel that there are a lot of Wr's in this draft so the possibility of a good one slipping is definitely there.

He just looked so physical and had great hands.

Did you see that Cal Poly guy in the skills comp? What a beast.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 01:53 PM)
Here's a good youtube montage of Nicks plays, specifically the last and first play

Im sold, Im hoping he falls into 2nd would love an OL and Nicks in first 2 rounds. He would really compliment Hester well. And Hester was pretty damn good for his first season as a WR, with any other QB add 3 TD's and like 200 yards.

For the Cowboys, TO needs to be released, Kyle Kosier needs to be healthy, and we need a find a playmaking FS who can defend the pass.

Since Chris Canty is leaving it seems, we'll need a DT/DE to replace him.

Luckily we traded a 1st and a 3rd for Roy Williams (thanks Jerry).

I would also like to draft an OT to develop behind Flozell Adams.

DeMarcus Ware also needs to be locked up.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 02:20 PM)
For the Cowboys, TO needs to be released, Kyle Kosier needs to be healthy, and we need a find a playmaking FS who can defend the pass.

Since Chris Canty is leaving it seems, we'll need a DT/DE to replace him.

Luckily we traded a 1st and a 3rd for Roy Williams (thanks Jerry).

I would also like to draft an OT to develop behind Flozell Adams.

DeMarcus Ware also needs to be locked up.

As much as TO may need to leave Dallas, I really don't like going in with Williams & Crayton as the top 2 guys. Agreed on Kosier & the FS.

I'd like more secondary help period.

Also if Dallas lets go of TO, doesn't that take a big chunk out of the cap for 09? I also read a rumor a little while back that Jerry may be interested in bringing in Ray Lewis, something like that may be needed to get things right in the locker room.

They've just got to get some secondary help early in the draft, then maybe a DL in the 3rd or 4th rnd.

There are no QBs worth a risk after the first 15 picks that will be any better than Orton is now.

CB/S

OT

DT/DE

Maybe a WR or QB in free agency if anyone decent is available.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 08:53 PM)
This is actually a great WR class if you ask me: Crabtree, Britt, Nicks, Robiskie, Iglesias, and Heyward-Bey.

Robiskie is a middle round pick with #2 receiver upside at the absolute best. He's just not fast enough to be an absolute stud. Solid possession receiver at his best. Iglesias also seems like a prototypical slot receiver to me too.