2009 Cubs thread

daa84

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 10:46 PM)
Why can no one hit the Cubs pitching? Outside of the Lilly game against Philadelphia, their pitching has been amazing since the ASB.

Their pitching has pretty much been their strength the whole year. They haven't really hit up until the past 2 weeks.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 10:56 PM)
Walkoff slam for Soriano...yeah, this baseball season is beginning to suck. Ironic he hit that just as the Buehrle thing came up on Letterman.

It's going to come down to them and the Cardinals. Matt Holiday is fitting in quite nicely. Derosa has been raking since coming off the DL. Ludwick is on fire. And they have Pujols. In other words, they have the best offense in that pathetic league outside of the Phillies. It's gonna come down to pitching. Carpenter/Wainwright is as good as any 1-2 in the division. If Pineiro and Lohse can just continue doing what they've been doing, no more or less, I like the Cardinals chances.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 04:03 AM)
It's going to come down to them and the Cardinals. Matt Holiday is fitting in quite nicely. Derosa has been raking since coming off the DL. Ludwick is on fire. And they have Pujols. In other words, they have the best offense in that pathetic league outside of the Phillies. It's gonna come down to pitching. Carpenter/Wainwright is as good as any 1-2 in the division. If Pineiro and Lohse can just continue doing what they've been doing, no more or less, I like the Cardinals chances.

I think they both end up making it

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 10:56 PM)
Walkoff slam for Soriano...yeah, this baseball season is beginning to suck. Ironic he hit that just as the Buehrle thing came up on Letterman.

Prototypical Cubs hitting performance -- struggle against good pitchers (you know, the kind you see in the playoffs), beat up on crappy bullpen guys. Meh.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 11:08 PM)
They need to acquire two more hitters still, as Garko won't do much in that park.

I disagree. Garko is a legitimate upgrade over Ishikawa. They could still use another bat. But when you have pitching like they do, you've got a damn good shot.

I still don't like the Cubs pitching. I take back whatever I said about the Cards and Cubs having no pitching (I was plowed and wasn't thinking correctly...drunk now, but willing to atleast do research), but I still don't really like the Cubs rotation, especially without Lilly, mainly because I completely doubt Wells is going to keep up what he's been doing (especially against good hitting teams, ala the Dodgers, Phillies, Cards, and Brewers), I still think Zambrano is more of a great #2 than he is the true ace he's paid to be, though he's been great this year, I believe Harden is too fragile and strike out friendly (meaning simply that I think he will throw too many pitches and that Piniella will be very quick with him) to be as effective as he really could be, though he is quite obviously their best and would be most teams' best starter. That's 4 of their 5 starters, and they then have to hope that Dempster comes back at somewhere near where he was this year...a 4.15 ERA for 2 months would do wonders for that team.

The bullpen, as I see it, has 3 good pitchers and no great pitchers in Gregg, Marmol, and Marshall with a 4th possibly included in Guzman. Samardzija seems overrated and falling out of favor, Heilman has done his best Rick White impersonation for the past year and a half, and Kevin Hart, no matter his ERA, won't be effective if he keeps his K/BB ratio right around 0.50.

Their offense is starting to perform to what it can, but I don't believe that team is built for the postseason.

its been a while since i've gone on my NL is terrible tirade, but watching the cubs play the Astros, Reds, and nationals.....the NL (specifically the central) really really sucks. The quality of players is just horrendous....i still can't believe geoff blum gets as many ABs as he does

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 08:55 AM)
its been a while since i've gone on my NL is terrible tirade, but watching the cubs play the Astros, Reds, and nationals.....the NL (specifically the central) really really sucks. The quality of players is just horrendous....i still can't believe geoff blum gets as many ABs as he does

exactly what I was thinking after watching the Cubs get hot since the All-star break. The NL is a very bad league. I actually thought the Reds were an OK team, but their offensive approach is one of the biggest jokes I have seen in years and now Harang and Cueto have 10+ ERAs in their last 6 starts.

Without Berkman the Astros lineup may be one of the worst lineups I can remember seeing in years.

With that said, the Cubs are doing a good job of taking advantage of beating the bad teams, which they have to do. I caught some of the St. Louis game last night, and that lineup is very tough. It will be those two at the end in the division since I just can't see the Crew or Astros doing anything.

If I'm the Phils I sacrifice to get Halladay, they are already the favorite in the NL, Halladay would make them domininate

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 07:12 AM)
I still don't like the Cubs pitching. I take back whatever I said about the Cards and Cubs having no pitching (I was plowed and wasn't thinking correctly...drunk now, but willing to atleast do research), but I still don't really like the Cubs rotation, especially without Lilly, mainly because I completely doubt Wells is going to keep up what he's been doing (especially against good hitting teams, ala the Dodgers, Phillies, Cards, and Brewers), I still think Zambrano is more of a great #2 than he is the true ace he's paid to be, though he's been great this year, I believe Harden is too fragile and strike out friendly (meaning simply that I think he will throw too many pitches and that Piniella will be very quick with him) to be as effective as he really could be, though he is quite obviously their best and would be most teams' best starter. That's 4 of their 5 starters, and they then have to hope that Dempster comes back at somewhere near where he was this year...a 4.15 ERA for 2 months would do wonders for that team.

The bullpen, as I see it, has 3 good pitchers and no great pitchers in Gregg, Marmol, and Marshall with a 4th possibly included in Guzman. Samardzija seems overrated and falling out of favor, Heilman has done his best Rick White impersonation for the past year and a half, and Kevin Hart, no matter his ERA, won't be effective if he keeps his K/BB ratio right around 0.50.

Their offense is starting to perform to what it can, but I don't believe that team is built for the postseason.

I still like the Phillies in the NL but I think the Cubs and Cards both make the postseason. If the Phillies pull off the Halliday trade I like their chances for a repeat.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 01:55 AM)
6-6....ARam just hit a 3 run bomb, Stros suck. First up 4-0, then 6-3.

Cubs have that invincibility back at home, and it really seemed like it started due to the Linebrink Debacle.

what a completely odd game, Cubs lose 11-6. If they don't win the next 2 they are wasting a golden opportunity because the Astros bullpen is completely done. I wouldn't be shocked if the Astros starter goes 7 innings no matter how bad he gets lit up

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 10:37 PM)
Nice to see Cubs on their way to not being in 1st place after tonight. Does this mean their fans will go back to pretending like the season isn't taking place?

Cardinals are beating the Dodgers 6-0 in the 8th...... :headbang